Big 12 votes to pursue expansion | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Big 12 votes to pursue expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I read, somewhere, that ESPN doesn't want any team to leave the AAC, especially UConn, Cincy as ESPN is making a bundle of $$$$ on the AAC.

Do they have any sway in the matter? I wouldnt think so.

Reaction Score
Pretty simple stuff, football brings in the money, really just about all that matters when it comes to these expansions.

Hopefully the Big 12 proves this theory wrong.

Assuming what is important to them is money and not football, then you have to look at who brings in more money, not who brings in more football. Just because Memphis had better football one year is meaningless in these discussions. 2 years ago, Paul Pasqualoni's team beat Memphis 45-10.

Reaction Score
Nothing too new. We are still in play but right now it seems Memphis has the 14th spot. Anything can happen still.

If your contact is real they are an AD, but the ADs don't vote on this, remember. I don't see the presidents allowing such a disgraceful academic institution as Memphis in. They are considering some huge $$$ academically, not just media rights.

Reaction Score
Do they have any sway in the matter? I wouldnt think so.

Not if Fox Sports is interested,. I don't know how true this is but the Big East is not doing so well,Fox wants some East Coast teams to televise, BigXll doesn't have any east coast teams, sooooo. Since ESPN is discouraging any expansion by Xll,they don't want to spend the $$$, but Fox is encouraging expansion, hopefully to the East.

Reaction Score
Not if Fox Sports is interested,. I don't know how true this is but the Big East is not doing so well,Fox wants some East Coast teams to televise, BigXll doesn't have any east coast teams, sooooo. Since ESPN is discouraging any expansion by Xll,they don't want to spend the $$$, but Fox is encouraging expansion, hopefully to the East.

And who knows what is and isn't true but it makes sense. EST starts are worth a ton of money in and of themselves.

Reaction Score

I think I like the sound of this.

Reaction Score
Hopefully we are in. UCF has no rules. Went to the football game last year and was stunned how the school was totally supportive with blacking out on campus before the game. Its like Spuds MacKenzie is the dean.

"Salt life"

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
They say they don't want to dilute their 4 core sports: football, baseball, men and women's basketball. If that is true, we elevate them in basketball and I think our baseball program holds their own.

Reaction Score
They say they don't want to dilute their 4 core sports: football, baseball, men and women's basketball. If that is true, we elevate them in basketball and I think our baseball program holds their own.
Let's look at what we've done so far this decade:
WBB: 6 FF, 5 NC
MBB: 2 FF, 2 NC
Baseball: 4 NCAAs, 1 super regional
Football: Fiesta Bowl vs Oklahoma, St. Pete Bowl vs Marshall

Seems good enough.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Let's look at what we've done so far this decade:
WBB: 6 FF, 5 NC
MBB: 2 FF, 2 NC
Baseball: 4 NCAAs, 1 super regional
Football: Fiesta Bowl vs Oklahoma, St. Pete Bowl vs Marshall

Seems good enough.

Yep. If that is truly their criteria, we would be in. No one could touch us. If it is only football or geography or backroom deals, well, we'll see.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Sources: Big 12 to talk expansion with 17 schools

Sources also said it's "becoming less and less likely" that the league will expand to 14 teams. The most likely scenario is that the Big 12 will stay at 10 teams or only add two schools for a 12-team league with two six-team divisions, sources said.

The 17 schools that will make their presentations to the Big 12 include Cincinnati, Houston, BYU, South Florida, UCF, UConn, Memphis, Colorado State, Boise State, Tulane, Temple, East Carolina, SMU and New Mexico, sources said.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Sources: Big 12 to talk expansion with 17 schools

Sources also said it's "becoming less and less likely" that the league will expand to 14 teams. The most likely scenario is that the Big 12 will stay at 10 teams or only add two schools for a 12-team league with two six-team divisions, sources said.

The 17 schools that will make their presentations to the Big 12 include Cincinnati, Houston, BYU, South Florida, UCF, UConn, Memphis, Colorado State, Boise State, Tulane, Temple, East Carolina, SMU and New Mexico, sources said.

That's depressing. I would still kinda like our chances if geography were not a negative factor.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
For the 27th time...

The "huge enrollment" is split over 13 commuter campuses.

Commuter students in Daytona, Cocoa Beach, South Lake, etc., are not going to turn into some massive UCF fan base. It hasn't happened because it won't happen.

In a state with Florida, Florida State and Miami, there is no pent-up demand for UCF athletics - they are the fourth nipple of Florida college athletics.
They maybe the fifth nipple if you consider USF

C

chiller99.5

If we cant leave aac can we at least vote to boot out Eastern Carolina? These opinionated pricks take over every aac message board with the silliest drivel ever.

Reaction Score
If I had the decision on Big 12 expansion I would expand to 14 schools and include: UConn, Cincinnati, UCF and Temple. Gives you quality football, basketball and your footprint is now in Cincinnati, Orlando, Philadelphia, New York, Connecticut and Boston. Then able to form east and west divisions to limit travel and create rivalries and you have a footprint in the Florida recruiting area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom