Big 12 ready to move quickly if Missouri leaves [WVU and/or UofL] | The Boneyard

Big 12 ready to move quickly if Missouri leaves [WVU and/or UofL]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Big 12 ready to move quickly if Missouri leaves

BY JIMMY BURCH jburch@star-telegram.com

NORMAN, Okla. --Big 12 officials are bracing to respond to Missouri's possible departure with at least a one-team addition and "make a decision quickly," said Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione, a member of the league's five-person expansion committee.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/10/23/3465480/big-12-ready-to-move-quickly-if.html

Still looking like WVU or Louisville, or both.

Cincy in the mix. Their top 25 entrance into the coaches' poll not hurting them.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Question is how fast WVU and/or 'Ville can get out of this hellhole and head to the Big XII? Right now its 27 months.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If Texas holds the line on 10 schools then the decision boils down to how quickly the conference wants a tenth team. If they want one for 2012, then any one of the BE schools is off the table.

If OU gets the conference to go to 12, then three BE schools are invited, and five of the eight BE schools are invited elsewhere. Then it becomes a question of whether 5/8 of the football schools are enough votes for football split. It would be nice to see the conference legal arrangements to see how the split was configured.

Reaction Score
Marinate will enforce the 27 month rule and they will be forced to pick BYU and stay at 10 per Texas AD's wishes. Oklahoma is just blowing smoke at this point.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Marinate will enforce the 27 month rule and they will be forced to pick BYU and stay at 10 per Texas AD's wishes. Oklahoma is just blowing smoke at this point.
The article does something very interesting. It quotes the OU AD about the conference wanting to move very quickly and then it indicates an unnamed B12 source states WV is on the top of the list.

There is no indication from this article OU wants WV. There are so many rumors and inaccuracies floating around that it is important to not make mistakes in identifying who is saying what in these articles.

Reaction Score
The article does something very interesting. It quotes the OU AD about the conference wanting to move very quickly and then it indicates an unnamed B12 source states WV is on the top of the list.

There is no indication from this article OU wants WV. There are so many rumors and inaccuracies floating around that it is important to not make mistakes in identifying who is saying what in these articles.

I don't dispute that someone has WVU over L'ville and BYU at the top of the list but if the Big East doesn't fall apart it is a moot point. Missouri won't leave next year (2012) but they will want to leave the year after. (2013 in the SEC) That means 9 teams with no one from the Big East able to join before 2014, which would not satisfy contractual obligations with Bristol. Unless the Big East completely falls apart they are forced to go with BYU.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It will likely come down to (unless they can secure BYU) some financial concession for the two years they won't have a tenth member. I imagine that something can be worked out (in business matters, somehow things always do get resolved) that will satisfy both the B-12 and ESPN.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It depends on the media partners and the backroom wheeling and dealing.

You can be sure if the media partners say OK (pun not intended) to WVU (and they will) all that's being negotiated then is the terms of the Missouri buyout (stay one year 2012 and promise us 3 games in years in 2013 and 2014 and a couple premium SEC home/away matchups ) and the WVU (promise the BE 3 games from 2013-2015 and some additional B12 OOC Games and WVU can leave after 2013) etc. Promise an additional $10 mil and some premium OOC games and you can have WVU in 2013) .

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Question is how fast WVU and/or 'Ville can get out of this hellhole and head to the Big XII? Right now its 27 months.

You hope that UConn can be in athletic Siberia sooner? Why is being in a conference with UConn being in a hellhole?

Reaction Score
The B12 seems to be united in the decision making process (sarcasm intended).

- A second Big 12 school official told the Statesman he prefers Louisville because of its closer proximity and said travel to West Virginia would make for too big a burden on the athletes.
“The only place where there’s an advantage for West Virginia is better football,” the second official said. “Their academics is not as strong. If there’s any thought about what’s best for the student-athlete, we’ll go with Louisville.”

Reaction Score
The B12 seems to be united in the decision making process (sarcasm intended).

- A second Big 12 school official told the Statesman he prefers Louisville because of its closer proximity and said travel to West Virginia would make for too big a burden on the athletes.
“The only place where there’s an advantage for West Virginia is better football,” the second official said. “Their academics is not as strong. If there’s any thought about what’s best for the student-athlete, we’ll go with Louisville.”

LOL!!!

Someone is selling something. There are ulterior motives--probably the fear that the SEC will eventually come sniffing around for WV. The idea that Louisville's and WV's academics figure into this at all caused me to laugh outright.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
You hope that UConn can be in athletic Siberia sooner? Why is being in a conference with UConn being in a hellhole?

What?? It isn't true? The BE is stable now? You mean the BE is a slice of heaven? Did the BE find the pot o gold at the end of the rainbow? * man, I must have missed it.

Am I lying? It's called being realistic. The BE is currently a hellhole, barely holding on by bubble gum, silly putty, masking tape. Just keep on painting pretty pictures like Bob Ross there Nelson. Just don't wake up from your slumber too quick and smell reality. You'll be disappointed.

Athletic Siberia? Nah, we can join the Hudson Bay Athletic Conference. Less traveling. Oh wait a second, I bet we can solve this whole problem by inviting UMASS to the BE. Wow, what an idea.(sarcasm intended, just in case you're wondering)

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Why is being in a conference with UConn being in a hellhole?

I don't know, try asking the long and growing list of schools who seem to think it is. Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Miami, Virginia Tech, Florida State, West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati. Anyone else I left out?

Have you stopped to realize that team after team after team after team after team does not want to be in the conference UConn is in? Maybe UConn isn't as lolipop-sweet-and-angels-singing-perfection as you make it out to be? Maybe it's just a rural state school with no football history and a tiny stadium and out of the way from the other conferences looking to expand?

Or are you just, you know, completely incapable of thinking it's not everyone else who is wrong.

Maybe stop filing so many lawsuits? How about that? Can we try that?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know, try asking the long and growing list of schools who seem to think it is. Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Miami, Virginia Tech, Florida State, West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati. Anyone else I left out?

Have you stopped to realize that team after team after team after team after team does not want to be in the conference UConn is in? Maybe UConn isn't as lolipop-sweet-and-angels-singing-perfection as you make it out to be? Maybe it's just a rural state school with no football history and a tiny stadium and out of the way from the other conferences looking to expand?

Or are you just, you know, completely incapable of thinking it's not everyone else who is wrong.

Maybe stop filing so many lawsuits? How about that? Can we try that?

So UConn is screwed then? Is that your position?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What?? It isn't true? The BE is stable now? You mean the BE is a slice of heaven? Did the BE find the pot o gold at the end of the rainbow? * man, I must have missed it.

Am I lying? It's called being realistic. The BE is currently a hellhole, barely holding on by bubble gum, silly putty, masking tape. Just keep on painting pretty pictures like Bob Ross there Nelson. Just don't wake up from your slumber too quick and smell reality. You'll be disappointed.

Athletic Siberia? Nah, we can join the Hudson Bay Athletic Conference. Less traveling. Oh wait a second, I bet we can solve this whole problem by inviting UMASS to the BE. Wow, what an idea.(sarcasm intended, just in case you're wondering)

Holy cow. You really are onto something here. I don't think anyone realized UConn was in a world of hurt before you joined us with your deep insight into the situation. Thank you for clearing this up for us.

What bugs me is people like yourself and Zls that seem to be rejoicing in the destruction of UConn's athletic program. Even BCU posters have enough class not to dance on our grave. Not you two though.

zls44

Reaction Score
So UConn is screwed then? Is that your position?

Sure seems that way, doesn't it?

You seem to think everything is fine and they should just sit around and do nothing because the magical people above will surely see the light that the University of Connecticut is the finest athletic institution in the history of Western Civilization.

zls44

Reaction Score
What bugs me is people like yourself and Zls that seem to be rejoicing in the destruction of UConn's athletic program.

Says the guy who is mad that the school president is trying to save the athletic program. You would rather she stand around and watch it burn.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You seem to think everything is fine and they should just sit around and do nothing because the magical people above will surely see the light that the University of Connecticut is the finest athletic institution in the history of Western Civilization.

I have made my position clear 100 times on this board. Either you are too stupid to understand it or just raining s*** on everyone. Let me know which.

zls44

Reaction Score
I have made my position clear 100 times on this board. Either you are too stupid to understand it or just raining s*** on everyone. Let me know which.

Yes, that the ACC, B1G, Big 12 and SEC should be fighting over UConn. Which is just stupid.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes, that the ACC, B1G, Big 12 and SEC should be fighting over UConn. Which is just stupid.

Are you completely losing your mind? Does anyone not get the situation we are in? Everyone, please raise your hand if you think we got the college athletics world right where we want them.

zls44

Reaction Score
Are you completely losing your mind? Does anyone not get the situation we are in? Everyone, please raise your hand if you think we got the college athletics world right where we want them.

One or both of WVU or Louisville, the only two programs left with any national credibility as being able to compete with the big boys on a consistent basis because of their facilities/history/fanbases, are possibly gone tomorrow. If, as expected, that happens, then the situation begins with an "f" and ends with "ucked". That's the only way to look at it. How could you conclude otherwise? Not from an emotional POV, logically, how can you look at it any other way?

How many teams would need to leave before you get it? Would Cincy and USF going Indy do it? Rutgers to the Mountain West? Louisville trying to reconstitute the Metro?

Why do you think there's some parachute of cash from Comcast or Fox to pay for this conference? Why? Honestly, why?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So you admit that UConn is screwed, but wonder why anyone thinks that way?

Why do you think there's some parachute of cash from Comcast or Fox to pay for this conference? Why? Honestly, why?

Because giving up is not acceptable to me as a fan, alum and state taxpayer. UConn is coming off a national championship in basketball, a BCS bowl in football, is a Top 60 national university, and is in the second largest market in the country without a pro franchise. As much as you hate the school, UConn has some things going for it.

The result should not be failure.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Because giving up is not acceptable to me as a fan, alum and state taxpayer. UConn is coming off a national championship in basketball, a BCS bowl in football, is a Top 60 national university, and is in the second largest market in the country without a pro franchise. As much as you hate the school, UConn has some things going for it.

The result should not be failure.
I'm not giving up, but the ACC doesn't seem to care.

Reaction Score

No, he hasn't said that. He hasn't said anything close. I have been attacking Waylon for his posts, but not for a moment can anyone make the case that he seems to be taking pleasure frrom UConn's situation. Why can't we say that about you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom