Big 12 Meeting | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This guy is also tweeting from the meetings:

http://twitter.com/#!/jim_lamar

Jim Lamar@Jim_Lamar
Asked WVU AD Oliver Luck if I was wasting my time at these meetings. 'Depends on what else you're doing. There are good barbecues here.'

Reaction Score
Slippery batsards...

>>"Though Big 12 representatives were quick to dismiss any talk of immediate expansion plans, they didn’t slam the door shut either. Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard, the chair of the Big 12’s athletic directors, said things could quickly change.

“We feel well positioned at this time with 10,” Pollard said. “At the same time, we recognize that the landscape continues to change. We’ll all wait to see what happens with the BCS. But at this point we feel that we are best positioned as a 10-member league."

Both Pollard and Neinas avoided being pinned down on how committed the Big 12 is to remain a 10-member conference. Both men were asked if they would rule out expanding for a full year. Neither gave a definite “no.”<<

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I read it as, "The four playoff spots will be open to all conferences so as to avoid antitrust implications and because we want it to be based on strength of schedule, The Big 12 will remain at 10 teams so we avoid the risk of having one of our teams potentially knocked out of the playoff by some silly conference championship game."

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
This is a conference whose members were ready to pursue litigation if the Pac16 had become a reality - they're not foolish enough to publicly talk about this stuff. Plus, if they do make your interests known and strike out, they could be perceived as weaker than the other 4.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
If it is the top 4 conference champions in the playoff...the B12 stays at 10.

If it is the top 4 schools according to polls/selection committee in the playoffs...the B12 goes to 16.

It really is that easy.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I read it as, "The four playoff spots will be open to all conferences so as to avoid antitrust implications and because we want it to be based on strength of schedule, The Big 12 will remain at 10 teams so we avoid the risk of having one of our teams potentially knocked out of the playoff by some silly conference championship game."

That's exactly how I read it. Unless their hand is forced by some decision that happens at the BCS meetings

Reaction Score
If they do playoff using champions of the Big 4, then the Big 4 won't want to expand any more because they won't want to share any national championships and money with anyone else. Everyone was worried about how limiting 4 16-team conferences would be. If they don't expand, only 48 teams would be eligible for the national championship instead of 64.

The scary thing is I'm not sure there's really anything legally stopping them from doing this. Hopefully, since the SEC/Big 12 are opposed to it, it won't happen.

Reaction Score
If it is the top 4 conference champions in the playoff...the B12 stays at 10.

If it is the top 4 schools according to polls/selection committee in the playoffs...the B12 goes to 16.

It really is that easy.
And either way the ACC is history.

Reaction Score
There are many AD's who do not want to expand. Why divide the money on the table by more mouths!!

Reaction Score
Neinas & Pollard said "....but things can change" about 5 times - that means things will change.

Reaction Score
And either way the ACC is history.

Like my avatar if people keep saying the ACC is dead at some point they may be right. Perhaps when the sun expands a couple of billion years from now and incinerates the earth.

Looks like all of the 'done deal' talk from the Doofus of WV and elsewhere on the net was just a lot of silly speculation because the ACC is alive and well and teams like FSU and others from the ACC turned down the Big 12 and the Big 12 is just trying to save face.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Looks like all of the 'done deal' talk from the Doofus of WV and elsewhere on the net was just a lot of silly speculation because the ACC is alive and well and teams like FSU and others from the ACC turned down the Big 12 and the Big 12 is just trying to save face.

You just keep beliving that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Baylor lawsuit last year really scared the **** out of the SEC. I think the Big East had a slam dunk case in 2003, because Miami and BCU had been cooperating with the ACC on this for over a year. I thought the Baylor suit was a waste of time, yet it really spooked the SEC. There must be something more to this litigation than we understand, because these schools are dancing on eggshells about taking any litigation risk.

Reaction Score

Observer and the ACC remind me of a song from long ago, it just might have been written with him in mind....

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high
There's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby.
Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream,
Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops,
High above the chimney tops,
That's where you'll find me.

Reaction Score
Sure way up high on the narrow minded scale, yet which character does the not so observant one play?

Reaction Score
If they do playoff using champions of the Big 4, then the Big 4 won't want to expand any more because they won't want to share any national championships and money with anyone else. Everyone was worried about how limiting 4 16-team conferences would be. If they don't expand, only 48 teams would be eligible for the national championship instead of 64.

The scary thing is I'm not sure there's really anything legally stopping them from doing this. Hopefully, since the SEC/Big 12 are opposed to it, it won't happen.
wont happen this blatantly... they can't lock out schools from the NC. This would be seen as a step backwards and give the folks in Washington some serious ammo.
What they can do is skew the system so it is more likely that a school from the Big4 'qualifies' for the playoffs. I think Strength of Schedule is a perfect example of how the system will be rigged.

Reaction Score
Marty,

I'm glad to see someone else agrees with me...of all the factors ever dvised, i thin SOS is the most subject to mis-use, abuse and manipulation in every sport, but particularly in college football. I've always maintained that no system that rewards teams based on who they play more than how is one to be viewed with skepticsm

Reaction Score
teams like FSU and others from the ACC turned down the Big 12

FYI: FSU and Clemson agreed at the beginning of May to join the Big 12. It will be announced later this summer.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Neinas & Pollard said "....but things can change" about 5 times - that means things will change.
It's all CYA to avoid tampering. They have to be approached by the interested parties.

If anything, this talk of FSU and Clemson is worse for the Big East than anything. ACC has no qualms about poaching the BE and will do so again if it needs to survive as Conference #5. As for where UConn fits... I honestly have no idea what's best at this point.

Reaction Score
Observer and the ACC remind me of a song from long ago, it just might have been written with him in mind....

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high
There's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby.
Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream,
Really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops,
High above the chimney tops,
That's where you'll find me.

Funny, well not really.

Which side is the wishing side?

Those who said that the ACC is dead and that FSU, Clemson, Miami and GT were a done deal to the Big 12 (aka the Short Bus Conference)?

Those who look at the REALITY and see the ACC still intact and very strong and alive.

Better get some more fairy dust.

Reaction Score
Funny, well not really.

Those who said that the ACC is dead and that FSU, Clemson, Miami and GT were a done deal to the Big 12 (aka the Short Bus Conference)?

Those who look at the REALITY and see the ACC still intact and very strong and alive.

I think we will find out about FSU and Clemson sooner than later. The national championship won't be decided without FSU having a chance to win it. If FSU is really staying in the ACC, the ACC will make a much bigger stink about being excluded from the national championship sweepstakes. If they are leaving, nobody is going to listen to a thing Swofford has to say at the BCS meetings and it will become obvious where things are headed.

I think we are already on notice that we are ACC bound if FSU leaves and that the ACC is considered better than the NBE by UConn admin for academic reasons. I also think we are banging the B10 on the side in hopes of getting asked to the prom.

Reaction Score
Funny, well not really.

You just make sure you keep posting here after August 15th, OK? Conference realignment is like an iceberg, its the part underwater that you cant see that sinks you. No one is going to do anything until the playoff system is decided, (why would/should they?) then the pre-choreographed moves will begin. Havent things changed drastically since you first stated how FSU wouldnt even look at leaving the ACC? You know, before the chair of the FSU BOT said they had to look at it, before Brooks, a former FSU BOT member said there have been talks, before the TCU AD said that Miami, FSU and Clemson were in contact with the Big 12, before the B12 and SEC announced their Champions Bowl partnership. Since you have been posting here dont you think the things that have happenned, not just internet postings, but the actual facts I just pointed out, make it less likely or more likely the ACC is going to get poached? The ACC is a dead man walking you just dont want to admit it to yourself. Thats OK, I dont need to post on here three times a day to convince myself its going to happen.....time and reality does my work for me.......but you just keeping wishing on those stars, its just a world full of rainbows, puppies and unicorns.

I only offer the truth, Neo.........

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Neo.......lmfao

The question for us uconn fans is at what point of what's left of the acc do we value the nbe as a better home. Yes we dream of a B1G invite.... My whole thing is the acc is great for uconn if md/fsu/Clem/unc/ncst/UVA are there, if not then ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom