Big 12 is making money | The Boneyard

Big 12 is making money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
West Virginia is getting $14,000,000 this year for just a 67% share in the Big 12. A full-share is worth $23,000,000 with the potential for another $750,000 if expenses are lower than expected.

That's pretty impressive considering that it's only for tier one and two - the schools sell their own tier rights from between $3M and $15M.

A lot of it does have to do with the conference only having ten members, but that also lowers inventory.

In terms of total revenue being shared, that $212 million figure is well short of some of the other power conferences. The Southeastern Conference, for example, announced Friday it would distribute $309.6 million. The Big Ten and Pac 12 also distributed far larger sums.

But those conferences also have more members than the 10 in the Big 12. In terms of revenue distributed per school, only the Big Ten is at a higher number, $26 million. The SEC announced that its shares to members would be $20.9 million and the Pac-12 previously announced shares of just under $20 million. ACC teams are expected to receive shares well under $20 million.

Reaction Score
As the Big10, SEC, and Pac 12 networks develop, there will be even more money for these three conferences. In a few years, the ACC will not compare and it could create more conference shifts.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Quality>inventory? Who knew?

Kansas may take home as much as anyone with what they get for tier 3 basketball.

Reaction Score
UNC takes home $11 million from tier 3...mostly basketball.

Reaction Score
How much is one football game (the worst) and a handful of basketball games worth? And that is the extent of those two sports available for tier 3 in the Big 12 contract.

It will vary...

WVU found out that everything rolled together (media, radio, coaches shows, and what we call tier 3) was worth about $6 million.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UNC's deal is for their 'multimedia' rights - they don't own any tier 3 rights. We don't own ours either, but we get about $8M per year for our media rights.

West Virginia gets about $7M for one football game, two hoop games and their multimedia rights. Florida State gets a little less. Rutgers gets just under $6M, NC State gets under $5M.

Of course, Bama gets $15M, Michigan and OSU make $11+...

There will be a new level of have and have nots - eventually, with Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State and the big boys bringing in $35-40M in conference revenue, plus $12-15M in media rights deals, (not to mention apparel deals that triple almost everyone, they'll be doubling up the lesser P5 conferences.

Fun!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was under impression Kansas got $8 million for a handful of basketball games.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was under impression Kansas got $8 million for a handful of basketball games.

Kansas has a good deal - IMG has their multimedia rights and Time Warner has the tier 3 rights.

Reaction Score
I'm not an expert on media finances. My wife won't believe I actually admitted that.
I 'ave heard it stated on this board that UConn gave up all tier 3 revenue to ESPN as part of the AAC deal.

Could someone give a quick summary of UConn current revenue or point me where I can find the info .

Reaction Score
UNC's deal is for their 'multimedia' rights - they don't own any tier 3 rights. We don't own ours either, but we get about $8M per year for our media rights.

West Virginia gets about $7M for one football game, two hoop games and their multimedia rights. Florida State gets a little less. Rutgers gets just under $6M, NC State gets under $5M.

Of course, Bama gets $15M, Michigan and OSU make $11+...

There will be a new level of have and have nots - eventually, with Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State and the big boys bringing in $35-40M in conference revenue, plus $12-15M in media rights deals, (not to mention apparel deals that triple almost everyone, they'll be doubling up the lesser P5 conferences.

Fun!

Fishy...a lot of misunderstanding about "Tier 3"....anything that is not to be televised by ESPN/Raycom reverts back to the program...as third tier residual broadcast rights.

While it is true that ESPN/Raycom do own all first call broadcast rights, they do not own that which they choose not to televise.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is making money

There is a school geographically isolated in the Northeast that is the home of the NCAA Champion men's and women's basketball programs, that is reluctantly residing in an unstable start up conference.

First for openers, why not SMU for the Big12, getting back a Texas team that has a very bright basketball future and working their way back in football.

And, of greater importance (here anyway) UCONN, a presence in the Northeast that drastically upgrades Big12's basketball "brand" and delivers the NY market.

What was the Big 12's biggest story this year in basketball? Marcus Smart of Oklahoma State shoving a fan at Texas. That was basically the Big12's claim to fame this year in college hoops. They NEED help.

In football, adding 2 members, would also actually give the Big 12 twelve teams, so they can split into 2 football divisions, if they choose and have a conference $Championship$ game.

If we are going to be isolated, we are just as isolated in the AAC as we would be in the Big12. The difference, obviously, is P5.

Big 12 defections? Enter the waiting list: BYU, Cinci, everyone else left in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Fishy...a lot of misunderstanding about "Tier 3"....anything that is not to be televised by ESPN/Raycom reverts back to the program...as third tier residual broadcast rights.

While it is true that ESPN/Raycom do own all first call broadcast rights, they do not own that which they choose not to televise.

So if ESPN/Raycom owns all first call broadcast rights and rescinds ownership on that which they do not televise ("Tier 3"), does that not effectively equate "Tier 3" to "worthless garbage"? I mean, if they felt they could make money on it, they would keep it, yes?

Reaction Score

Ah, but they do own it. What they choose not to televise is SOLD to other outfits and ESPN profits from it.

This is why SNY now pays ESPN instead of UConn to show UConn sports. ESPN owns it all.

Reaction Score
Will SNY carry men's hoops that are not on ESPN 1 or 2? Got ALL the women though, and a Geno show every week.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is making money

There is a school geographically isolated in the Northeast that is the home of the NCAA Champion men's and women's basketball programs, that is reluctantly residing in an unstable start up conference.

First for openers, why not SMU for the Big12, getting back a Texas team that has a very bright basketball future and working their way back in football.
Had to stop there. Can't take the rest seriously. SMU was on the bubble last year, and has one good one and done recruit coming in next year to join a coach who is fairly imfamous for not sticking around very long, and suddenly they have a "very bright basketball future"?

I also just can't see the B12 taking UConn. I remember it being posted here that B12 schools are already tired of just traveling to WVU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom