Big 12 Comm: AQ status will be eliminated, obviating need for more (Boise) conference expansion | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Comm: AQ status will be eliminated, obviating need for more (Boise) conference expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It will get worse. Lunardi has the B12 with 6 teams in Bracketology and two of those are departees Texas A&M and Missouri.

WVU is an add. Baylor, a lowly #6 seed, is the highest rated of the B12's 8 core members.

The BE is up to 10 (yes 10!) selections w/ Lunardi!

Potential BE add BYU is in the Lunardi brackets as are Temple and Memphis. SDSU, Georgetown and Nebraska are in the first four out.

The conversation will be all about how the BE will still thrive in hoops and the B12---naah. Nothing exciting there. Unless they add LU and Cincy

Reaction Score
Without the BCS or AQ statuses then short of a playoff we would go back to the old bowl alliances and then you get funky matchups like #1 BYU against #6 Michigan in the XX Bowl for the National Championship. If the #1 team loses their bowl or doesn't score enough "style points" then #2 wins the NC, unless of course they lose too... in which case #1 can still win the NC while losing their bowl game. Which actually happened at least once.

Playoff anyone?

Reaction Score
It will get worse. Lunardi has the B12 with 6 teams in Bracketology and two of those are departees Texas A&M and Missouri.

WVU is an add. Baylor, a lowly #6 seed, is the highest rated of the B12's 8 core members.

The BE is up to 10 (yes 10!) selections w/ Lunardi!

Potential BE add BYU is in the Lunardi brackets as are Temple and Memphis. SDSU, Georgetown and Nebraska are in the first four out.

The conversation will be all about how the BE will still thrive in hoops and the B12---naah. Nothing exciting there. Unless they add LU and Cincy

This illustrates exactly why figuring out some alignment for adding BYU and SDSU for all sports makes sense. Also why Pitino and others suggest adding Temple and Memphis so persistently. The BE could potentially become even stronger at basketball with a national reach if it plays it's cards right. The other leagues would be as irrelevant during bball season as the BE has become during football season.

Reaction Score
Without the BCS or AQ statuses then short of a playoff we would go back to the old bowl alliances and then you get funky matchups like #1 BYU against #6 Michigan in the XX Bowl for the National Championship. If the #1 team loses their bowl or doesn't score enough "style points" then #2 wins the NC, unless of course they lose too... in which case #1 can still win the NC while losing their bowl game. Which actually happened at least once.

Playoff anyone?

True. But who cares anymore? The whole project has been a disaster for college football generally. It's been good for Uconn and good for the big east tho. In the old system, like you say, the bowls could make whatever match up they wanted. #1 could play #6, and #2 could play #8, and at the end of the games they just voted. And argued. Certain conferences make deals with certain bowls that they don't diverge from (Rose Bowl was Pac v. B1G every year - and was a wildly popular bowl). The old system really hurts non-traveling programs, and small ticket teams, like all Big East teams. The old system helps out Nebraska and Notre Dame, and whoever else travels well. Under the old system, Boise State would never get a major bowl. People who complain about the BCS system really don't know what they're complaining about.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
True. But who cares anymore? The whole project has been a disaster for college football generally. It's been good for Uconn and good for the big east tho. In the old system, like you say, the bowls could make whatever match up they wanted. #1 could play #6, and #2 could play #8, and at the end of the games they just voted. And argued. Certain conferences make deals with certain bowls that they don't diverge from (Rose Bowl was Pac v. B1G every year - and was a wildly popular bowl). The old system really hurts non-traveling programs, and small ticket teams, like all Big East teams. The old system helps out Nebraska and Notre Dame, and whoever else travels well. Under the old system, Boise State would never get a major bowl. People who complain about the BCS system really don't know what they're complaining about.
I can't claim to know as much as you do. But the only real winners I see with the BCS system is the scum that run these bowls and their political cronies. Unless of course the Fiesta Bowl was an aberration.

Reaction Score
This is genius: they figured out how to take away the Big East's AQ without stripping it.

All of the other conferences will continue to get at least 1 bid since they all have bowl tie-ins with a BCS bowl. So even without an AQ they get a team in.

Absolutely brilliant move. BE needs to fight this tooth and nail.

Reaction Score

I guess my sarcasm is too dry. Clearly, the BCS is the lesser of the two evils.

Reaction Score
I can't claim to know as much as you do. But the only real winners I see with the BCS system is the scum that run these bowls and their political cronies. Unless of course the Fiesta Bowl was an aberration.
I don't know that much. But the bowl committees haven't changed one bit since they started in the 20's. It's all about padding their coffers. Always was. The only reason the BE was ever included in the first place was Miami's tie in to the Orange Bowl. Without Miami, there was no longer a big east tie in. That's why some type of loose affiliation with ND became important. The Gator Bowl used to be a major bowl, I don't think it is too much anymore. But the BE and ND had an arrangement with the Gator bowl for awhile. Due to the BE not being able to travel, the Gator backed out of that. Bowls are about commerce.

Reaction Score
This is genius: they figured out how to take away the Big East's AQ without stripping it.

All of the other conferences will continue to get at least 1 bid since they all have bowl tie-ins with a BCS bowl. So even without an AQ they get a team in.

Absolutely brilliant move. BE needs to fight this tooth and nail.
Yes, but remember, before the BCS the bowls would just pick whoever they wanted. The BCS contract forced them to take, e.g., a big east school. They want out of that contract since there are no big east schools that they want in their bowls anymore. We can't take that personally, btw. They don't want most ACC or B1G schools either. In fact, they only want some schools out of the whole country. The Rose Bowl wants to see USC vs. Ohio State or Michigan. All else need not apply. Same with everyone else. There are a few teams they want. There are no Big East schools that are desired in any bowl. That's all due to travel. Nothing else.

Reaction Score
I guess my sarcasm is too dry. Clearly, the BCS is the lesser of the two evils.
The only "fair" system is a playoff. But if you are real fat, and real happy, why should you be in favor of change? This is like telling the Sultan of Persia that it would be more fair to have democratic elections. Huh? Heresy. That's treasonable.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
There has never been a serious effort to create a major northeast bowl. One problem with a northeast bowl, for fan participation, is that it's damn cold in the northeast during bowl season.

Hell, lets create the Nutmeg Bowl. Get it sponsored by local corporate interests, and set it up so that two northeastern teams always get invites.

That's the bowl model in a nutshell.

Reaction Score
There has never been a serious effort to create a major northeast bowl. One problem with a northeast bowl, for fan participation, is that it's damn cold in the northeast during bowl season.

Hell, lets create the Nutmeg Bowl. Get it sponsored by local corporate interests, and set it up so that two northeastern teams always get invites.

That's the bowl model in a nutshell.
Love your spunk. I think a part of you actually gets the "damn cold in the northeast" segment of your post. I think another part of you doesn't quite get it. You have a disconnect going on. Let me help. It is DAMN COLD IN THE NORTHEAST in the winter. Ok?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Love your spunk. I think a part of you actually gets the "damn cold in the northeast" segment of your post. I think another part of you doesn't quite get it. You have a disconnect going on. Let me help. It is DAMN COLD IN THE NORTHEAST in the winter. Ok?
You have to wonder why the BE just didn't establish their own bowl game at Cuse. They could have created a tie in with the third best team of the B!G or B12 or the second best team of the ACC.

Reaction Score
You have to wonder why the BE just didn't establish their own bowl game at Cuse. They could have created a tie in with the third best team of the B!G or B12 or the second best team of the ACC.

That's a joke right?

Reaction Score

Cause maybe no one is crazy enough to go to Syracuse in DEC or JAN?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It wasn't? C'mon. Tell me that was a joke. It was pretty funny either way. :cool: We're just trying to give you credit.
With all the crazy things stated on these forums I thought I'd add one. Actually I've already made several so why not one more. The idea of going to Syracuse in Jan isn't thrilling. But at least the game is indoors. The travel arrangement would be a heck of lot less budget breaking for the BE than going to Texas or AZ. So yes, I'm questioning why wasn't something created to demonstrate people in the northeast will go to a venue if it is accessible and comfortable.

If it failed then it was tried. Now of course this is an afterthought.

Reaction Score
The better question is why none of the northeastern NFL venues are domes. Between NY, Philly, NE, and DC area teams somebody should have built a dome. I guess they don't want to regurlary host any superbowls in the northeast.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The better question is why none of the northeastern NFL venues are domes. Between NY, Philly, NE, and DC area teams somebody should have built a dome. I guess they don't want to regurlary host any superbowls in the northeast.
This is thinking outside the box. As was my proposal.

Reaction Score

They'd rather be IN a superbowl than host one. And there's no doubt that a cold-weather elments can help give an "extra" home-field advantage.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They'd rather be IN a superbowl than host one. And there's no doubt that a cold-weather elments can help give an "extra" home-field advantage.
Real men play football outside in the cold. Domes suck. If anything they are more needed in early games in places like Miami, Atlanta, Houston and New Orleans. Football isn't meant for hot humid conditions.

Reaction Score
Real men play football outside in the cold. Domes suck. If anything they are more needed in early games in places like Miami, Atlanta, Houston and New Orleans. Football isn't meant for hot humid conditions.

The Big East's chance for a major northeast bowl died with the West Side stadium proposal in NYC. It would have also brought the Super Bowl and NCAA Final Four to NY on a regular basis, albeit at an astronomical cost to build.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The Big East's chance for a major northeast bowl died with the West Side stadium proposal in NYC. It would have also brought the Super Bowl and NCAA Final Four to NY on a regular basis, albeit at an astronomical cost to build.

More like when they failed to put a dome on the New Meadowlands Stadium.

Reaction Score
The new Meadowlands was never planned as a dome whereas the West Side stadium was. Perhaps more important, while a stadium surrounded by parking lots in the middle of a swamp is good for locals to tailgate, it's not nearly as good for out of town visitors staying in hotels and the going to the game. The meadowlands would never be as good or as popular a site for the Super Bowl, Final Four or bowl game as a stadium in Manhattan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom