Big 12 boards heating up on expansion again | The Boneyard

Big 12 boards heating up on expansion again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A lot of talk about it being announced this weekend...the "insiders" have not been that specific that i have seen, so imo this is likely putting their credibility to the test. We shall see though...

Reaction Score
I'll believe it when I see it. Notre Dame is not joining the Big 12 in anything unless the Big East completely folds. They obviously would join the B1G

Reaction Score
The simpleton posters (wait is that redundant?) on the WVU board think that ND will join the Big12 because the Big12 has a better deal on third tier rights, which may or may not be the case. So the deals that ESPN has with the ACC and other conferences are written in stone and absolutely cannot be changed. Or so a simpleton thinks.

Let's see, Swofford calls ESPN and says 'ND is willing to join the ACC provided that they can have their own network for tier 3 stuff. Are you willing to change our deal to let them and other ACC schools control their third tier rights?'

ESPN says "is this a crank call?' 'You are saying that if we agree to change the tier 3 stuff that ND will join the ACC and that we, ESPN, would get them away from NBC?"

Swofford, 'that is what I am saying.'

ESPN, 'Where do we sign?'

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
just for chat. the b12 gives nd something it can't do elsewhere. it allows its other sports to play in a big boy conf and it can put its soccer in a regional conf liek the maac with wvu. but its nd so they can make a soccer schedule themselves but anyway. going to the b12 allows the irish to redo the nbc deal. then they can go to espn and create a irish network like the longhorn one and the seminole one(soon to hype). now nd tier 3 $$ is a pot of gold. btw who is to say they wont call nova/gtown/bc/sju and depaul and schedule ooc games so they hit the big markets for games anyway and now those are tier 3 $$ makers for them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The simpleton posters (wait is that redundant?) on the WVU board think that ND will join the Big12 because the Big12 has a better deal on third tier rights, which may or may not be the case. So the deals that ESPN has with the ACC and other conferences are written in stone and absolutely cannot be changed. Or so a simpleton thinks.

Let's see, Swofford calls ESPN and says 'ND is willing to join the ACC provided that they can have their own network for tier 3 stuff. Are you willing to change our deal to let them and other ACC schools control their third tier rights?'

ESPN says "is this a crank call?' 'You are saying that if we agree to change the tier 3 stuff that ND will join the ACC and that we, ESPN, would get them away from NBC?"

LOL. ESPN will never join the ACC for all sports. You are out of your mind if you think there is even a prayer of that happening.

Reaction Score
why would ND want to join the B12 if they're getting 20-24 mil/year as was reported in another thread? besides the B12 makes more per school than the BE, but the BE would likely let them keep their own football contract. the B1G makes more than the B12, and the ACC is probably closer than the B12 in terms of academic mission or whatever you want to call the nonathletic nonsense. besides all that, the B12 is the only BCS league that doesn't have any kind of rivalry with ND(that i can come up with correct me if i'm wrong). to me the B12 is about the last place that ND wants to go. nobody's given me one good reason yet why ND would want to join the B12. it'll never happen. whenever i see ND to the B12 as a part of a scenario all it tells me is that not only am i reading a bunch of crap, but it's not even well thought out crap. at least if someone's going to make up nonsense, they should make it reasonable nonsense

Reaction Score
LOL. ESPN will never join the ACC for all sports. You are out of your mind if you think there is even a prayer of that happening.

Regardless of whether ND joins the ACC for all sports or for all sports and partial in football my original point is the same. ESPN will want ND to be a part of a conference that they, ESPN, control for a long time meaning the ACC and if all it takes are some tweaks to the tier 3 part of that contract you better believe ESPN will do it. With the Big12 ESPN shares those broadcast rights with Fox.

From ND's standpoint with the $$ being made equal they would take the ACC over the Big 12 seven days a week because they have more in common with the ACC as far as academics and culture than they have with the Big12.

In any event, I don't think ND is moving anywhere right now. I was only making the point that a contractual provision that may be an impediment to such a move can easily be changed as opposed to what the fools on the WV board think.

pj

Reaction Score

I missed the part where Raycom gives the Tier 3 rights to ESPN.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
ND is seeing if it can leverage the B12 against the ACC, or vice versa. I wouldn't bet that they'll join either in the immediate future, but they are shopping around.

Reaction Score
I missed the part where Raycom gives the Tier 3 rights to ESPN.

And of course, the ESPN/Raycom deal could never be changed, not even to accommodate the addition of the most important brand in college football because contracts are never amended or changed.

pj

Reaction Score
And of course, the ESPN/Raycom deal could never be changed, not even to accommodate the addition of the most important brand in college football because contracts are never amended or changed.

Sure, the contract can be changed. But that's a lot of moving pieces to get a deal done. And it's hard to make everyone whole -- particularly Raycom. You have to improve Notre Dame over all other offers, and pay off Raycom. What's left to keep FSU happy?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Regardless of whether ND joins the ACC for all sports or for all sports and partial in football my original point is the same. ESPN will want ND to be a part of a conference that they, ESPN, control for a long time meaning the ACC and if all it takes are some tweaks to the tier 3 part of that contract you better believe ESPN will do it. With the Big12 ESPN shares those broadcast rights with Fox.

From ND's standpoint with the $$ being made equal they would take the ACC over the Big 12 seven days a week because they have more in common with the ACC as far as academics and culture than they have with the Big12.

In any event, I don't think ND is moving anywhere right now. I was only making the point that a contractual provision that may be an impediment to such a move can easily be changed as opposed to what the fools on the WV board think.

I bet ESPN never thought of trying to get Notre Dame before. It is a good thing you are on top of this.

Reaction Score

Being condescending and arrogant should further endear you to this board.....

FI

Reaction Score

let's see it happen!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I love your posts in this thread. Any time you screw something up your answer is well don't you think they'd change that to get ND. Too funny!
Well when Henry Ford developed the first working light bulb...
Uh, that was Thomas Edison.
Don't you think Edison would have changed his name to Ford if it helped him bring safe lighting to American homes?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just speculation on the KU board that is no more informed than here. Probably less. I chucked at the same delusions we had when the BE added ND for Olympics. "Let's date, then they will marry us". Sorry boys. That supermodel is the biggest tease of all. ND dates so it never has to walk down the aisle.

Reaction Score
any thought that ND will join a conference should just be nipped in the bud. it will never happen and it's maddening to me that i have to hear someone's new theory that it will happen almost every day

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
What does Tuxedo Dodo say? Cuz, like, he's the only one I trust for the insider infos.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought the minute Notre Dame got involved, they would squelch the entire process, and that appears to be what they did. They flirted with the Big 12, which froze the Big 12 on FSU and Clemson, then flirted with the ACC, which caused Clemson and FSU to hold tight to see what will happen with Notre Dame. By the time all the sides figure out that Notre Dame is wasting their time, any momentum in the process will be gone and it will be 2014.

I think Swofford really caught everyone off guard in September when he grabbed Pitt and Syracuse, because if Notre Dame had caught a whiff of that, they would have stopped it through the same dissembling process they are doing now.

Reaction Score
I think Swofford really caught everyone off guard in September when he grabbed Pitt and Syracuse, because if Notre Dame had caught a whiff of that, they would have stopped it through the same dissembling process they are doing now.[/quote]

Interesting thought, which I hadn't considered. I think that you are probably right.

Too bad it didn't work out that way.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Even the WVU insiders are waiving the white flag. Notre Dame has ground everything to a screeching halt. Clemson and FSU have gone back to the ACC to try to recut a deal, and the Big 12 appears to be indicating that there is no more expansion for this year.

It is amazing that one mediocre program has so much pull.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
meanwhile the baylor guy is saying "clem is on the clock, gt will move..."

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The President's Committee will leave with a decision on the playoffs tonight. Then the fun starts as the figures leak out and the real numbers can be run on various scenarios and the fence sitters will be pushed to make a decision on contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom