big 10 'stars' lead the way - in whining. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

big 10 'stars' lead the way - in whining.

Reaction Score
With so many students drowning in debt (because of all the student loans they need to take out) by the time they graduate, hard to feel sorry for the "plight' of these players. They get a free ride because they are athletes, they have access to excellent personal trainers and gyms, free tutors, free travel, etc.

If they were advocating for a chunk of that money to be reinvested into scholarships for all students, I would be for it. But it seems they just want to get paid while ignoring the 1.5 trillion dollar student loan bubble that most non-athletes know all too well, a bubble that continues to expand. They don't have to play for any UNI if they do not want to, other options exist.

At the very least, if they do get paid, get rid of full scholarships and let them use the money they earn to pay their own way through UNI like everyone else or get academic scholarships. It is unfair to all the non-athletes if D1 players get a free ride AND get paid while everyone else struggles to pay tuition.
I'm generally in agreement with the above. Where will this money come from? All schools seem to report deficits operating their sports programs. Some top Div 1 programs pay large amounts to the coaching staff, much more than Academic types. There is a fine line here. There are many options for players to improve their financial status if your good enough at what you do.
Nobody forces these college age players to play NCAA ball. Some explore and leave this route and at an accelerating rate. It's one or two and done for the best. Who can blame them? Perhaps life is just unfair if fairness is what your looking for but that isn't life!

Reaction Score
'All the administrative talk I hear is about reestablishing the in=person experience.'
some folks don't like a future with no paychecks in it for them.
next up? schoolbitness 101, or 'how SNU and GCU ate our lunch!'
fire administrators, hire teachers!

'Schools are super afraid right now of being cast as virtual schools--based on % of classes taught that way.' let the games begin. too obvious -'miss accreditor, it's true that 2 separate 1 hour classes per week are online, totaling 28 hours a semester, bbut that class also has a weekend campout get together for 48 hours, to roast smores and tell ghost stories, so this class is 48 hours in person, which is waaay more than 28 hours online!'
let the games begin.

Why not ask students how they feel about this and what they're getting out of it?

Given the money involved, you actually think they are going into this blindly?

And--paychecks?

An administrators wet dream is a million people taking a class with one prof. You think they have a stake in making sure classes are small and brick & mortar? No, it's the opposite of that

They are afraid of the questions being asked right now by accrediters wondering if they are moving toward virtual classes.

Reaction Score
The debate of scholarships vs paying the players will be debated forever. This is not that. I see it in a different light.

To me, it's a lack of foresight, AGAIN, by the NCAA. I mean is it really going to kill them to spend an extra $200-$300k for their food and amenities so it doesn't come to this point? I see it more as the NCAA padding their wallets and cutting corners where they shouldn't be. And they are doing this at the expense of the athletes. The best companies are the ones that care for it's employees. What message is this really sending to the people that's making this happen?

It's disgusting.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Why not ask students how they feel about this and what they're getting out of it?

Given the money involved, you actually think they are going into this blindly?

And--paychecks?

An administrators wet dream is a million people taking a class with one prof. You think they have a stake in making sure classes are small and brick & mortar? No, it's the opposite of that

They are afraid of the questions being asked right now by accrediters wondering if they are moving toward virtual classes.
'And--paychecks?'
typically,
waste management - 'administrators'
operations- 'administrators'
buildings and grounds - 'administrators'
food service - 'administrators'
student services - 'administrators'
health services - 'administrators'
security services - 'administrators'
transportation - 'administrators'
and so on.
what is the one thing in common these departments need?
people. live bodies at a campus.
so, yes. paychecks.
nothing personal, but you should expand ur definition of 'administrators' to include the facts on the ground. a lot of cooks, dishwashers, supply, cashiers, and such lost their jobs last year at Southern Connecticut, when they ended their food service contract. apparently, there were no people to feed.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom