big 10 'stars' lead the way - in whining. | The Boneyard

big 10 'stars' lead the way - in whining.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'By Wednesday night, various players from 15 different teams -- among them Rutgers' Geo Baker, Iowa's Jordan Bohannon, and Michigan's Isaiah Livers -- had released a statement calling for a list of demands to be met, most notably that name, image and likeness rules be changed no later than July 1.'
Frustrated by conditions in Indianapolis, players renew their call for more on eve of NCAA Tournament - CBSSports.com

im sure that if you told players they could be in the ncaa tourney, but they'd have to eat a boxed lunch or some fast food while there, 99+% of them would answer 'sign me up.'
July 1st! Becuz We Say So!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The article is rather disingenuous.

The modern era gives them many options. G league, Europe/Australia, or graduating with their actual hs class and then spending their 5th year at the prep school anyway.

As for the equal treatment. The music students aren’t given access to million dollar coaching, private facilities and free food and gear for their work. That door swings both ways.

There’s probably a balance to it all, but I’m tired of the tantrums.

Reaction Score
Coffee is for closers and every single one of these kids has been responsible for closing 10 digit TV deals they'll never see a penny from, let alone a free cup o joe.
It always leads back to the greedy bastards like espn, doesn't it.

Play a game. Don't play a game. Make a choice. Play for your home town local community college if you don't like the way the NCAA operates. No one is forcing you to participate in a business which is chock full of corruption. Cry me a river.

Reaction Score
The article is rather disingenuous.

The modern era gives them many options. G league, Europe/Australia, or graduating with their actual hs class and then spending their 5th year at the prep school anyway.

As for the equal treatment. The music students aren’t given access to million dollar coaching, private facilities and free food and gear for their work. That door swings both ways.

There’s probably a balance to it all, but I’m tired of the tantrums.
Regarding your second paragraph, the hypothetical music student is getting all of those things if he or she is on scholarship. Of course he or she isn't working with a million dollar coach, but the staff and faculty available to the student are quite extensive.

There may be a coherent way to argue that athletes shouldn't have NIL rights, but you haven't stumbled upon it.

the Q

Reaction Score
Regarding your second paragraph, the hypothetical music student is getting all of those things if he or she is on scholarship. Of course he or she isn't working with a million dollar coach, but the staff and faculty available to the student are quite extensive.

There may be a coherent way to argue that athletes shouldn't have NIL rights, but you haven't stumbled upon it.

I’m using the article. The players get their own private facilities etc. things that other students don’t have access to. So their equals treatment argument is false. Cause they get many things no one else gets.

I think There’s a balance. But the reality is their whole argument is literally incorrect. There are benefits to each version of scholarships that they mention.

the Q

Reaction Score
I also find it fascinating that the player who would’ve benefitted the most from it is against it.

Tebow.

Reaction Score
I’m using the article. The players get their own private facilities etc. things that other students don’t have access to. So their equals treatment argument is false. Cause they get many things no one else gets.

I think There’s a balance. But the reality is their whole argument is literally incorrect. There are benefits to each version of scholarships that they mention.
I can see how your point is relevant to the question of paying players, but I don't buy it as it relates to NIL.

the Q

Reaction Score
I can see how your point is relevant to the question of paying players, but I don't buy it as it relates to NIL.

I think there should be some limitations. No conflicts with university contracts, nothing that would violate school standards. Etc

But things like that ucf kicker having a YouTube channel or players using their Instagram to do pomroted posts? Go nuts.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, looks like the men's bubble area is palatial compared to what the women are getting in San Antonio. So, the men's players have that going for them.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Couple of posters said it best. The market is free you ungrateful players. You'll make money hand over fist (for the NCAA and Chevrolet and Toyota, etc)and not think about it because you have been broken off (thank you very much) with a room, food, and money to pay for a laundry list of semester by semester expenses, you will like it!

And if not you are unreasonable.

The reality is for many players it's more than full-time. It's double, possibly triple-time.
They say class, practice, watch film, get food, do study hall, check-in (yep) and you have whatever remains of the night.
When there is a break, its nonstop. Early breakfast, film, shootaround (practice), lunch, film, practice, film, scrimmage, dinner, film. If you can believe it, we would still go out after that schedule during Thanksgiving or Christmas break, get up and do it again.
So the regs were not a consideration relative to my experience. I seem to remember a ceiling of 25-30 practice hours which included film, meetings, etc., which players generally consider to be a joke.

Personally, it's good to see these young guys recognizing this unequal relationship between them and the NCAA institutions and working to reconcile that relationship.

My teammates and I would joke among ourselves, on occasion of consulting labor attorney's on days we were absolutely exhausted and overrun with basketball demands relative to anything else in our lives.

I'm happy to see these young athletes explore their market value, in the free market, through the courts, and legislatively in order to establish equitable value.

Reaction Score
With so many students drowning in debt (because of all the student loans they need to take out) by the time they graduate, hard to feel sorry for the "plight' of these players. They get a free ride because they are athletes, they have access to excellent personal trainers and gyms, free tutors, free travel, etc.

If they were advocating for a chunk of that money to be reinvested into scholarships for all students, I would be for it. But it seems they just want to get paid while ignoring the 1.5 trillion dollar student loan bubble that most non-athletes know all too well, a bubble that continues to expand. They don't have to play for any UNI if they do not want to, other options exist.

At the very least, if they do get paid, get rid of full scholarships and let them use the money they earn to pay their own way through UNI like everyone else or get academic scholarships. It is unfair to all the non-athletes if D1 players get a free ride AND get paid while everyone else struggles to pay tuition.

Reaction Score
When you have ClifTLDR and Kolumbo, you know where this should go. RIP cesspool.

Reaction Score
I use to argue that the athletes went uncompensated until I began paying back my student loans, then my attitude changed. They are certainly undercompensated though relative to their value to the University and the NCAA at large.

I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to make money the same way their fellow students do. Allow student athletes to profit via Youtube channels, IG, selling autographs or merch, etc. If anyone should be paying the players a salary it should be the shoe companies. Just my 2 cents.

Reaction Score
I say pay the players by doubling the price of season tickets, increase concession and parking prices! Somebody has to pay,why not you! The NCAA will always get their money, you the fan will pay the price!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There was no Dance last year and there was bitter disappointment
The NCAA is doing something to hold it this year and there's always someone who wants to use it as a platform to complain about something
Can't everyone just play basketball and use the off season as a time to bring up this never ending argument.
I understand the argument by the players but too a minimal extent. I don't agree with the NCAA on anything but can't say I disagree with them balking at this either.
Perhaps you let the players sell themselves to the open market. I don't like the idea of shoe companied compensating them because the shoe companies are dirty and exploit the general public with their prices - especially Nike
The one thing I have against paying players is that we who will be the ones paying and it will hurt the smaller schools. If you create caps on earnings there will be ongoing rebellion over that issue.
All of us have the ability to find a better paying job and no one holds a gun to these kids head to play at any certain school - they made the choice - want to make money? Europe and the G League await
LETS PLAY BALL

Reaction Score
This is a zero sum game. There's a big pot of money. NIL rights, donors, side deals, agents, blah, blah, blah. The question is about the division of the money.

Until they find a way to limit coach's pay, the problem will continue.

I look at what the college is paying and losing on the back end. If paying payers results in more money spent by regular students to subsidize them, I'm against it.

People like Bilas are disingenuous when they keep mocking the NCAA with "There's not enough money." You're a lawyer Jay, come up with some legalese to cap coach pay (I know it's an antirust issue).

Otherwise, schools that are now taking huge losses during an incredible downturn in college budgets have absolutely no reason -- and would be out of their minds -- to pay players.

The NIL rights are outside money, but it would come at the expense of booster support, and boosters would no doubt rather funnel money directly to players instead of the school. Fine, that's good. But be prepared for the south taking over college sports, because there's an appetite for it down there that you won't reproduce up north.

I really would just encourage them at this point to run it as a pro league that licenses the name of each school for a nominal fee (maybe $1m tops) then rents facilities for also a low fee (whatever the upkeep and bond payments require). Let it continue that way. Coaches pay will crater, and the players will make a minimum wage salary.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
higher education, ie colleges and uni's, is now entering the third wave of dramatic change (1. the lightbulb, 2. post ww2 explosion in attendance, 3. online and/or sars2), and finance 'models' for it are collapsing quickly. it remains to be seen what sports revenues from attendance and media hold up as the new normal settles in.
the world has changed significantly in the past year, there is no 'going back' to olden days, and that's just the way it is. ask, for example, finance 'modelers' of public transportation, or commercial office space. wrecked. suffice it to say that for many schools, 'moolah, moolah' is replacing 'boolah, boolah' as their sports mantra. other than canceling the table tennis team, they're faced with real challenges over paying for pingpong balls, not to mention scholarships for promising students in freshwater fish ecosystems. saltwater, too. many affected entities will bumble along for a short while, with cash injections from the government, but that's just a temporary fix, only postponing the inevitable, ie, adapt, or die.
draining a significant source of revenue from these schools, a lot of which actually supports non-athletic purposes? not good. in fact, very bad. very, very, bad. a few hundred yelling 'show me the money!' pales in relevance to the thousands and thousands and thousands of non-athletes who chant 'thanks for the money, and the opportunity!'
greater good for all of us in our nation.
amazon just purchased thursday night nfl broadcast rights for the next decade.
change has come. adapt or die.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Serious question here, so if you can answer it great. Speculation is fine but please don't put me on full blast. What would happen if the players immediately shut it down? No more games this year. Would NIL become a reality or would it be the death of the NCAA model?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
higher education, ie colleges and uni's, is now entering the third wave of dramatic change (1. the lightbulb, 2. post ww2 explosion in attendance, 3. online and/or sars2), and finance 'models' for it are collapsing quickly. it remains to be seen what sports revenues from attendance and media hold up as the new normal settles in.
the world has changed significantly in the past year, there is no 'going back' to olden days, and that's just the way it is. ask, for example, finance 'modelers' of public transportation, or commercial office space. wrecked. suffice it to say that for many schools, 'moolah, moolah' is replacing 'boolah, boolah' as their sports mantra. other than canceling the table tennis team, they're faced with real challenges over paying for pingpong balls, not to mention scholarships for promising students in freshwater fish ecosystems. saltwater, too. many affected entities will bumble along for a short while, with cash injections from the government, but that's just a temporary fix, only postponing the inevitable, ie, adapt, or die.
draining a significant source of revenue from these schools, a lot of which actually supports non-athletic purposes? not good. in fact, very bad. very, very, bad. a few hundred yelling 'show me the money!' pales in relevance to the thousands and thousands and thousands of non-athletes who chant 'thanks for the money, and the opportunity!'
hehe, too funny. cnbc just finished broadcasting a piece on the new reality, centered around a survey showing 75% want the 'hybrid' model for higher ed, ie both online and in person. guy concluded with statements sounding in 'adapt or die.' too funny. timely, no?

Reaction Score
Hmmm, all the studies being done so far over the last year on the whole Zoom experience have shown the opposite. All the administrative talk I hear is about reestablishing the in=person experience. Schools are super afraid right now of being cast as virtual schools--based on % of classes taught that way. Which is something the rankers and accrediters have been asking about this spring. In fact, it's become obsessive.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Hmmm, all the studies being done so far over the last year on the whole Zoom experience have shown the opposite. All the administrative talk I hear is about reestablishing the in=person experience. Schools are super afraid right now of being cast as virtual schools--based on % of classes taught that way. Which is something the rankers and accrediters have been asking about this spring. In fact, it's become obsessive.
'All the administrative talk I hear is about reestablishing the in=person experience.'
some folks don't like a future with no paychecks in it for them.
next up? schoolbitness 101, or 'how SNU and GCU ate our lunch!'
fire administrators, hire teachers!

'Schools are super afraid right now of being cast as virtual schools--based on % of classes taught that way.' let the games begin. too obvious -'miss accreditor, it's true that 2 separate 1 hour classes per week are online, totaling 28 hours a semester, bbut that class also has a weekend campout get together for 48 hours, to roast smores and tell ghost stories, so this class is 48 hours in person, which is waaay more than 28 hours online!'
let the games begin.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom