Big 10 Quarters (merged thread) | The Boneyard

Big 10 Quarters (merged thread)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And Maryland was challenged, winning by only 10 after a big Q4.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What this obviously proves is just how tough a conference the B10 has become while all the pundits were busy watching the SEC powerhouse teams being dismantled by coming powers Ole Miss and Georgia. The Big10 is obviously 8 teams deep at least, and don't sleep on Nebraska either!!! Just because these teams are around .500 in league play doesn't signify anything when you consider what a murderers row that conference represents! I look at the disrespect of the B10 like I do the disrespect for the B12, soooo unfair!
:cool: :eek:?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The teams I saw yesterday, with the exception of Maryland, look no better than Marquette. I have been watching the Big 10 all season. Just because a conference has balance does not mean it is strong. What respect has the Big 12 earned, besides Baylor and just who have they beaten this season?

Reaction Score
What this obviously proves is just how tough a conference the B10 has become while all the pundits were busy watching the SEC powerhouse teams being dismantled by coming powers Ole Miss and Georgia. The Big10 is obviously 8 teams deep at least, and don't sleep on Nebraska either!!! Just because these teams are around .500 in league play doesn't signify anything when you consider what a murderers row that conference represents! I look at the disrespect of the B10 like I do the disrespect for the B12, soooo unfair!
Massey has the Big 10 and Big 12 essentially in a dead heat for third, behind the PAC12 and the SEC. Hard to argue with those rankings; they are based on a lot of data.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
OK, I take that all back - just watched MD dismantle NW in the first half of the semi-final. Obviously the Big10 is just like the BE and AAC - no competition for the big dog, or in this case the big (small) turtle!
:eek: :cool:
(Obviously my opinion changes with every little gust of wind! And by the way, what school names their sports team after a small turtle that lives in brackish water? At least SDSt named their team after the jackrabbit which can run and jump!)

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that Maryland may well be legit thes year. All too often they have rolled through their schedule but collapsed when they got under real pressure from teams that were strong defensively but yet could also put up a lot of points. They are often imo a bit of a paper tiger but I’m wondering if that is different this year.

Reaction Score
They haven't pulled their typical late season egg laying this year...

Fear the turtle. ;)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In the Iowa/State game this afternoon
Caitlin demonstrated the effects of a combined freshman wall
and the beating she took last night at the hands of Rutgers (not inconsiderable).
But she recovered enough to assist (hmm) in sparking the win
and yet another teammate had the big points...they do spread it around.
Watch out Maryland...if two or three of them go off...it'll be tough for anyone.

Reaction Score
and the beating she took last night at the hands of Rutgers (not inconsiderable).
Watch out Maryland...if two or three of them go off...it'll be tough for anyone.
At a certain point, Czinano should get some of her own love. She’s averaging almost 30 ppg on over 80 percent shooting in this tourney.

Reaction Score
Actually I wonder if ppl would stop arguing with who is the Freshman of Year after watching the tournament so far

Reaction Score
All too often they have rolled through their schedule but collapsed
All too often?

In the last 6 years:
  • 3 times they lived up to their seed
  • 2 times they lost 1 round earlier than their seed
  • 1 time they advanced 2 rounds further than their seed (as a #4 they went to the F4)
So, on net, they have won exactly as many games as their seeds would have predicted.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
MD is dangerous because the have so many scorers on their team - they play with five even when they go to the bench, so defensively they are hard to handle. Uconn when they are really good is that way, and if a team is scoring efficiently it puts even more pressure on the other team to keep up.
6 players averaging double digit points
5 players averaging 5+ rebounds
5 players with 50+ assists
5 players with 24+ steals

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
At a certain point, Czinano should get some of her own love. She’s averaging almost 30 ppg on over 80 percent shooting in this tourney.

I was just going to post singing her praises. She's been fantastic all year, and she's really coming through when it counts.

I've really enjoyed watching her and especially Mackenzie Holmes (plays for Indiana, native of Gorham, ME) this season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Czinano is an interesting player. Offensively she might be the most skilled low post player in the country and just knows where the basket is at all times. Incredible touch inside and has great hands. She's listed at 6-3 but im guessing she's more like 6-1 or 6-2. She is not a good rebounder and is a pretty bad defender but is a heck of an offensive player. If Iowa could recruit a shot blocking stretch 4 or get one from the transfer portal I think they be a top 10 team. They need a rim protector inside but someone who won't clog up the lane for Czinano offensively.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
All too often?

In the last 6 years:
  • 3 times they lived up to their seed
  • 2 times they lost 1 round earlier than their seed
  • 1 time they advanced 2 rounds further than their seed (as a #4 they went to the F4)
So, on net, they have won exactly as many games as their seeds would have predicted.
15-yard penalty on Vowelguy for letting facts get in the way of a good story.

Reaction Score
Czinano is an interesting player. Offensively she might be the most skilled low post player in the country and just knows where the basket is at all times. Incredible touch inside and has great hands. She's listed at 6-3 but im guessing she's more like 6-1 or 6-2. She is not a good rebounder and is a pretty bad defender but is a heck of an offensive player. If Iowa could recruit a shot blocking stretch 4 or get one from the transfer portal I think they be a top 10 team. They need a rim protector inside but someone who won't clog up the lane for Czinano offensively.
Agreed. I love the work Czinano does before she even gets the ball. Nice footwork and a feathery touch.

They have posts Addison O'Grady and Allison Ediger coming in next year. O'Grady plays high school and AAU with Betts, so at 6-3/6-4 she knows how to play with another dominant low post player.

Reaction Score
MD is dangerous because the have so many scorers on their team - they play with five even when they go to the bench, so defensively they are hard to handle. Uconn when they are really good is that way, and if a team is scoring efficiently it puts even more pressure on the other team to keep up.
6 players averaging double digit points
5 players averaging 5+ rebounds
5 players with 50+ assists
5 players with 24+ steals
They have one of the best offenses while having a poor defense...according to Massey Ratings board.

Reaction Score
Where's the defense? It's like she's being guarded by a ghost. No resistance.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Agreed. I love the work Czinano does before she even gets the ball. Nice footwork and a feathery touch.

They have posts Addison O'Grady and Allison Ediger coming in next year. O'Grady plays high school and AAU with Betts, so at 6-3/6-4 she knows how to play with another dominant low post player.
Great insight, thanks for sharing

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Where's the defense? It's like she's being guarded by a ghost. No resistance.

Iowa spaces the floor incredibly well since they have so many 3 point shooters. A lot of times they spread the defense and set a simple screen downlow that creates an opening for her to catch the ball on the block and she's automatic inside. Or CC beats her defender off the dribble, Czinano's defender rotates over and she steps outside of the lane and Clark finds her for an easy 8-10 foot jumper. She has a big frame too and uses her body extremely well to seal defenders and she has one of the best passers in the nation feeding her the ball in a space where she can score. It looks like no one is defending her but that's credit to Bluder for running extremely effective sets and credit to Czinano for doing a lot of work to establish great position almost every single possession.

Reaction Score
They have one of the best offenses while having a poor defense...according to Massey Ratings board.
Yes. Maryland is 220th in the country in FG percentage defense at .412. That's putridly bad for a team that wants to be a NC contender. Even worse in Scoring Defense (tied for 265th at 70.5), though that can be deceptive, as the pace of play affects it.

Reaction Score
Today’s game should be interesting. Will Iowa be able to hang with Maryland? I think so but Maryland has really looked good lately. Iowa with their 4th game in a row. Will their legs be under those 3 point shots?

Reaction Score
I'm watching the MD/Iowa Big Ten Championship. The announcers were talking about the #1 seeds. They are such UCONN haters it is unreal. They really think we shouldn't be a number 1 seed. They talked about how good Stanford is and the fact that UCONN lost to Arkansas, and Maryland beat Arkansas. So they think we should be a 2 seed. They never mentioned South Carolina, or Texas A&M, losing. The bias is unbelievable. This was too funny!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom