Big 10, Pac 12, and ACC alliance to spill over into basketball? | The Boneyard

Big 10, Pac 12, and ACC alliance to spill over into basketball?

Reaction Score
Marquee games vs SEC, and cream of the crop in the A10, WCC, (hold your nose) American, and MWC in our future. Likely still get opportunities in premier Pre-season tournaments, ie, Maui, Atlantis, etc.

Reaction Score
Marquee games vs SEC, and cream of the crop in the A10, WCC, (hold your nose) American, and MWC in our future. Likely still get opportunities in premier Pre-season tournaments, ie, Maui, Atlantis, etc.
And we'll still get MBB and WBB (etc.) games versus the Gang of 41.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This agreement is such a sad attempt by these three leagues to prevent future poaching of their marquee brands. Does anyone actually think this “alliance” would prevent a school like Ohio State, Clemson or Norte Dame from jumping ship to the super league (aka new SEC) when the invite comes? How about a school like UNC, Penn State or USC if they call? This is just a band-aid on a mortal wound IMO.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
There's no contract involved. It's just a gentleman's agreement. I think it all falls apart as soon as someone poaches someone else. We'll see how much of a difference it actually makes.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
There's no contract involved. It's just a gentleman's agreement. I think it all falls apart as soon as someone poaches someone else. We'll see how much of a difference it actually makes.
It’s clear they did this to get more leverage in CFB Playoff negotiations. The thing is, if any of these 3 conferences have an opportunity to step on the other 2 for a more favorable outcome for their member schools will the say “sorry, ESPN, we can’t do XYZ because we have the alliance” or will they do what’s in their best interest. I think everyone, including each university president who agreed to this knows the answer. That’s why I can’t take this seriously.

Reaction Score
It’s clear they did this to get more leverage in CFB Playoff negotiations. The thing is, if any of these 3 conferences have an opportunity to step on the other 2 for a more favorable outcome for their member schools will the say “sorry, ESPN, we can’t do XYZ because we have the alliance” or will they do what’s in their best interest. I think everyone, including each university president who agreed to this knows the answer. That’s why I can’t take this seriously.
No. No. No.

They did this to enhance the student athlete experience. Didn’t you read the tweet?

Reaction Score
This agreement is such a sad attempt by these three leagues to prevent future poaching of their marquee brands.
totally irrelevant to the fact this was necessary to delay the expansion of the CFP so the additional games dont automatically go to espn. that was priority #1 they can figure everything else out later.

i care more about how this impacts bball. if those 3 conferences fill up their OOC schedules playing each other then we need to start planning a BE-SEC challenge tomorrow

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have said it before. Cartels are ruled by basic economic principals (and mathematically proven): they will cheat. think OPEC. There will be inevitable fissures in this structure. The respective GOR agreements will hold ... until they won't

Reaction Score
I think this "alliance" is small potatoes compared to whatever it is that the PAC, BiG and ACC feel they need to do to remain competitive with the SEC for media dollars. I have to believe that the BiG wants no part of being second fiddle to the SEC forever. I think you do that by going west with premier programs coast to coast - two super conferences each with 20 programs. They will then tell the NCAA to go perform an unnatural act.

NIL only accelerates this issue. Some schools and programs will play that game very hard and many others will be much less inclined to do so. I can't even imagine what a program like Texas will work out for these kids.

Reaction Score
This agreement is such a sad attempt by these three leagues to prevent future poaching of their marquee brands. Does anyone actually think this “alliance” would prevent a school like Ohio State, Clemson or Norte Dame from jumping ship to the super league (aka new SEC) when the invite comes? How about a school like UNC, Penn State or USC if they call? This is just a band-aid on a mortal wound IMO.
Disagree - this is aiming to prevent the SEC and ESPN from totally commanding the future of college athletics. If any school gets a call to better their conference membership they're going to listen; but it doesn't mean they're gonna just jump immediately. All the schools you listed could've already jumped in the last decade but they haven't for good reasons other than dollars.

Reaction Score
It is important for people to know that the Big 10 earns more money from media deals than every other conference including the SEC.

They may be second in football results to the SEC but not in money.

We need to be aggressively looking to form an alliance with the tripartite Alliance. As I said this will affect basketball and now it is confirmed. It is not in our interest to partner with the SEC. Shut them out and boycott the SEC and ESPN.

UCONN and the Big East should not be willing fools and participants to their own demise by partnering with the SEC/ESPN who are responsible for the destruction of the old Big East and now the Big 12. No need to feed them a bone.

We would only provide the SEC more ammunition to provide the fatal blow to another major conference: the ACC.

In addition, that would hurt UCONN in future realignment opportunities.

Reaction Score
We would only provide the SEC more ammunition to provide the fatal blow to another major conference: the ACC.

In addition, that would hurt UCONN in future realignment opportunities.
1) have you checked in on the football program lately? we've never been further from being invited to a P4 conference
2) given the above we should want the SEC to steal Clemson and FSU so the ACC implodes like the big12. getting an invite to a weakened ACC (like the big12 will eventually do with ucf and cincy etc.) is our only chance at any realignment.
3) an SEC-BE challenge will play 0 part in the implosion of the ACC if it comes to pass. getting high profile OOC games is our only concern

Reaction Score
as time goes on ... UCONN football has more wiggle room to schedule decent games. While the cognoscenti often bloviated that we should collapse the program (with a few hundred million replacement value Rentschler sitting on I84) ... today, the P5 (now one less biggie) is giving us more clarity on a decent schedule.

We won't make the Fiesta Bowl anytime soon. But on pure Capital Assets and our ability to play decent like programs with some big dollar games ... we are OK. Yes. We are also protecting our Hoop; and providing a total AD with some capacity to reel back in our runaway budget variance.

Reaction Score
1) have you checked in on the football program lately? we've never been further from being invited to a P4 conference
2) given the above we should want the SEC to steal Clemson and FSU so the ACC implodes like the big12. getting an invite to a weakened ACC (like the big12 will eventually do with ucf and cincy etc.) is our only chance at any realignment.
3) an SEC-BE challenge will play 0 part in the implosion of the ACC if it comes to pass. getting high profile OOC games is our only concern
Why would we want to be part of a weak and crumbling ACC. The answer is we wouldn’t. If Clemson and FSU defect to SEC, there will be no ACC that you think of.

Once that Rubicon is crossed, you can be sure that North Carolina and Virginia will be added to the Big 10. At that point Notre Dame will look elsewhere.

UCONN will not leave Big East for a mess that the ACC will be once it is ravaged and ransacked.

PS: UCONN football has no chance of being competitive. No one cares about college football in the Northeast. There is no local recruiting pipeline or fertile grounds for recruits for us in the northeast. We would have to hit gold with a Jim Calhoun legendary hire in football who stays long term to make football into a competitive national name.

MJ1

Reaction Score
Clemson and FSU have grant of rights until 2035 with ACC. There not going anywhere.

Reaction Score
Why would we want to be part of a weak and crumbling ACC. The answer is we wouldn’t. If Clemson and FSU defect to SEC, there will be no ACC that you think of.

Once that Rubicon is crossed, you can be sure that North Carolina and Virginia will be added to the Big 10. At that point Notre Dame will look elsewhere.

UCONN will not leave Big East for a mess that the ACC will be once it is ravaged and ransacked.

PS: UCONN football has no chance of being competitive. No one cares about college football in the Northeast. There is no local recruiting pipeline or fertile grounds for recruits for us in the northeast. We would have to hit gold with a Jim Calhoun legendary hire in football who stays long term to make football into a competitive national name.
who are you graucho marks? "i refuse to join any club that would have me."

you just admitted our football team will never be decent. therefore we will never get invited to a P4 as theyre presently constituted. yet you wouldnt want to join a watered down ACC that still had duke and syracuse and louisville?? news flash we would do that in a second if it gave football a home. i'm sure the lesser ACC would also pay out more per team then we're getting from the BE, just like the lesser BIG12 still will when they have to negotiate a new tv deal.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score

PS: UCONN football has no chance of being competitive. No one cares about college football in the Northeast. There is no local recruiting pipeline or fertile grounds for recruits for us in the northeast. We would have to hit gold with a Jim Calhoun legendary hire in football who stays long term to make football into a competitive national name
So with all that in mind, what is your desired end game for UConn in conference realignment

Reaction Score
who are you graucho marks? "i refuse to join any club that would have me."

you just admitted our football team will never be decent. therefore we will never get invited to a P4 as theyre presently constituted. yet you wouldnt want to join a watered down ACC that still had duke and syracuse and louisville?? news flash we would do that in a second if it gave football a home. i'm sure the lesser ACC would also pay out more per team then we're getting from the BE, just like the lesser BIG12 still will when they have to negotiate a new tv deal.

UCONN didn’t leave the American to rejoin another American conference in the making in the Big 12 or the ACC if they get ransacked. You don’t join a broken conference unless it is a step up for your university and it wouldn’t

it’s just not good for business

The Big East is UCONN’s natural home. UCONN is content with the situation as is for the medium term.

PS: UCONN has two plans long term. I support both ideas, whichever arrives first wins out. Long term the primgoal is the Big 10 conference. The other plan is a recreation of the old Big East once again if the ACC implodes. Cuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, BC, West Virginia, Virginia Tech and Louisville rejoining the Big East. Duke and Kansas added to make the Big East a P5 conference once more.

Reaction Score
So with all that in mind, what is your desired end game for UConn in conference realignment

I like UCONN in the Big East. It is the best and most natural fit for us. I do not care about football at all.

The long term goal for the school is the Big 10 The other goal is a recreation of the old Big East through further conference realignment. I support both options whichever happens first.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom