OT: - Big 10, Pac-12 & ACC Formally Announce Alliance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Big 10, Pac-12 & ACC Formally Announce Alliance

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’d be shocked if the SEC extends an invitation to anymore programs. They are in the "cat-bird seat" as presently constituted. They may not want to share the TV revenue with anymore programs than they already have. They are only going to invite schools that have a thriving football program that has a large following and travels well. A team that would attract TV viewers.

The BIG East does not support football. Are there any teams in the AAC other than maybe UCF that would look attractive to the SEC? :eek:
Nope. And they'd have no interest in UCF either.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Pac-12 commissioner to decide on expansion interests by end of week​

The Pac-12 is expected to announce in the next few days if it's interested in adding new members to the 12-team conference, commissioner George Kliavkoff told ESPN on Tuesday.

"We'll announce a decision on whether or not we're going to be looking at expansion before the end of this week," Kliavkoff said. "That decision has been run on a parallel path to the conversations with [Big Ten commissioner] Kevin [Warren] and [ACC commissioner] Jim [Phillips] and the Big Ten and the ACC."

Reaction Score
By "scheduling alliance" I think they meant not putting multiple marquee games from the 3 conferences on TV against each other. Any alliance will need to include Fox, ESPN, the B1GN and the PAC12N. This isn' t about competition, it's about money and that comes from TV.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Think we need a little humour while analyzing this announcement. Saw this parody video earlier today. Had me howling. :D

I think this is 'perfect!'
In reality it sort of sounds they had a meeting to agree to think about an alliance to think about a meeting. With their individual media contracts, regional biases, and independent fiefdoms, I don't really think this means much of anything. The strong football teams will still want lots a patsies to fill their schedule.

Reaction Score
I’d be shocked if the SEC extends an invitation to anymore programs. They are in the "cat-bird seat" as presently constituted. They may not want to share the TV revenue with anymore programs than they already have. They are only going to invite schools that have a thriving football program that has a large following and travels well. A team that would attract TV viewers.

The BIG East does not support football. Are there any teams in the AAC other than maybe UCF, Houston or Cincinnati that would look attractive to the SEC? :eek:
During the SEC Media Days which was shortly before the Tex/Homa news, the SEC Commissioner discussed the conference relationship with the NCAA. He did not say that the SEC is going to withdraw, but he did say that the possibility is under consideration. Yes, FOOTBALL drives the SEC's engine, but he talked about "lesser sports" too. He discussed the conference desire to expand scholarships in the non revenue sports, particularly baseball and softball where 25/28 players teams are limited to giving only 11.7 and 12 scholarships. He understands the desire of smaller schools to limit the expense of full scholarships, but expressed that the entire conference membership wants to extend full rides to all players on those two teams but has been held back by the NCAA. In the end, it comes down to whether the NCAA is going to have to bend and the SEC is considering withdrawal if it doesn't.

Would the SEC expand if it withdraws from the NCAA? I think yes because more geography is needed - especially if the "Alliance" doesn't alsp withdraw that West Virginia is attractive across the board in sports the SEC values most. However, the SEC always expands in pairs. Who would WVU "partner with?" Only Iowa State has much attraction in terms of new geographical area and fan support in football anyway.

But, I expect the NCAA to bend.

SEC priorities more or less in order:
FOOTBALL
MBB
WBB
Baseball
Softball
women's soccer (few men's teams even exist)
Track both genders
Equestrian women
Golf both genders

Carnac

Reaction Score

The BIG East does not support football. Are there any teams in the AAC other than maybe UCF, Houston or Cincinnati that would look attractive to the SEC? :eek:
Well well well, UCF, Houston and Cincinnati don’t appeal to the SEC, but they do to the Big12. What becomes of the AAC now after losing their 3 top football programs? Some of you thought UConn should have stayed in the AAC. Do you still feel that way now?

Survival of the fittest. If a stronger conference raids and plunders your conference, then you raid and plunder someone else’s. I think UConn is much better off in the Big East and an independent in football, than to be in what will remain of the AAC. The AAC is and will remain a 3rd tier conference. The AAC is on life support. The commissioner had better do something quick, or the conference will flatline.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
SEC priorities more or less in order:
FOOTBALL
MBB
WBB
Baseball
Softball
women's soccer (few men's teams even exist)
Track both genders
Equestrian women
Golf both genders
Women's volleyball? Kentucky won the last National Championship. I would think it's somewhere after softball.

edit--Florida has been a second tier national power for over a decade, surprising they weren't the first SEC team to finally win one; of course adding Texas is a big boost for the conference in vball

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Well well well, UCF, Houston and Cincinnati don’t appeal to the SEC, but they do to the Big12. What becomes of the AAC now after losing their 3 top football programs? Some of you thought UConn should have stayed in the AAC. Do you still feel that way now?

Survival of the fittest. If a stronger conference raids and plunders your conference, then you raid and plunder someone else’s. I think UConn is much better off in the Big East and an independent in football, than to be in what will remain of the AAC. The AAC is and will remain a 3rd tier conference. The AAC is on life support. The commissioner had better do something quick, or the conference will flatline.
Yes, yes, yes, the chips are starting to fall. @Carnac is right, UConn is right where they are suppose to be right now. Although its not the best situation, they are safe in the BE. If they were still in the AAC, they would really be in hot water cause there still is no place for them to go. The AAC is on their way out, and UConn would again be left at the alter. I would think that the AAC was trying to lure some B12 teams to their league, but I guess whatever they tried to do didn't work. I don't know what they are going to do, but at least UConn isn't part of this new fiasco. Lets just relax and observe the history that is taking place now, and finally, be happy that we are not involved. Enough is enough, so lets just play some basketball.

Reaction Score
IMHO.
Big East is only a few steps away from becoming a dominate conference in hoops, both women’s and men’s.
And that is what I’m here for.
As far as non conferences scheduling is concerned, to become the best you have to beat the best.
And that road travels through Storrs.
No better feather in one’s cap than beating UCONN and Geno.
Football has lost me.
NBA zeroed our for me years ago.
Baseball teetering.
Just gimme my college hoops

Carnac

Reaction Score
IMHO.
Big East is only a few steps away from becoming a dominate conference in hoops, both women’s and men’s.
As far as non conferences scheduling is concerned, to become the best you have to beat the best.
Football has lost me.
Baseball teetering.
Except for college (USC) and pro football, I’m feeling you. I’ve been a USC football fan since 1964. To tailgate then go inside to watch a game in the LA Coliseum on a Saturday afternoon is nirvana. Fight on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMHO.
Football has lost me.
Baseball teetering.
Baseball is a radio sport.

Love listening to the Gamecocks on radio while I mess around in my shop on evenings and weekends, work in the yard, long drives or do some fishing. Attending games is great too, I just live too far away to attend many games.

Baseball on TV (even Gamecocks) gives me snoozies except in playoff situations.

Football is losing its appeal but that may be just the Muschamp factor. :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom