OT: - Big 10, Pac-12 & ACC Formally Announce Alliance | The Boneyard

OT: Big 10, Pac-12 & ACC Formally Announce Alliance

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In response to the SEC adding TX & OK, today the BIG, Pac-12 & ACC formally announced an alliance that would include football, MBB, WBB and perhaps other sports. The announcement was short on details and timing. It was more about long term goals.

The remnants of the Big 12 now appear to be left out in the cold. As for all the other schools and conferences, including UConn & the NBE, it remains to be seen how the rise of two “super conferences” will impact the rest of college sports. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
The ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 alliance became official Tuesday, with the three conferences coming together "on a collaborative approach surrounding the future evolution of college athletics and scheduling."

The three leagues emphasized common values and unanimous support impacting key topics affecting college athletes and schools in all sports. Sources say the Pac-12 has been the most aggressive of the three leagues in forming and encouraging the alliance.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 alliance became official Tuesday, with the three conferences coming together "on a collaborative approach surrounding the future evolution of college athletics and scheduling."

The three leagues emphasized common values and unanimous support impacting key topics affecting college athletes and schools in all sports.

Obfuscation for "we want more money."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

The three leagues emphasized common values and unanimous support impacting key topics affecting college athletes and schools in all sports. Sources say the Pac-12 has been the most aggressive of the three leagues in forming and encouraging the alliance.

No more "BIG 5, or P-5." Now it's the BIG 2, or the P2 conferences. :confused: The schools left in the aftermath of what was the BIG 12 Conference had better find a new conference affiliation, or quickly become an irrelevant has been. We knew this was coming after the news broke that the 3 commissioners were "talking". What other outcome could there have been?

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No more "BIG 5, or P-5." Now it's the BIG 2, or the P2 conferences. :confused: The schools left in the aftermath of what was the BIG 12 Conference had better find a new conference affiliation, or quickly become an irrelevant has been.
The Alliance versus the evil and all powerful SEC. It has a vaguely Star Wars kind of feel about it.

Reaction Score
No more "BIG 5, or P-5." Now it's the BIG 2, or the P2 conferences. :confused: The schools left in the aftermath of what was the BIG 12 Conference had better find a new conference affiliation, or quickly become an irrelevant has been. We knew this was coming after the news broke that the 3 commissioners were "talking". What other outcome could there have been?
I think Big East, AAC and SEC should combine for another alliance. ... :)

Reaction Score
Notice that there is very little detail. Reminds me of the joint statement after a summit meeting of the world's powers. "We have agreed in principle and look forward to a new era of cooperation". That sort of thing usually means that there was no agreement, just a lot of rhetoric.

I'll wait till I see new TV contracts because that's what's at the heart of all this.

Reaction Score
It means it's going to get tougher to schedule good out of conference opponents.
This could hurt the Huskies. Big out of conference match-ups may decrease. Many Power 5 schools look for cupcakes in their early season out of conference schedule. In essence an extended preseason or training camp to get them ready for the main event, their conference schedule.

Our situation is usually reversed, with a very strong early out of conference schedule to partially make up for a good but not great competition in conference. We generally have major early tests before the conference games, which for us is giving an opportunity to go a little deeper on the bench and prepare for whatever rotations we want to settle on for the NCAA tournament.

Some of the top schools might save a spot for Uconn, but I would expect us to lose a couple of tough opponents, and have a little easier schedule in the future.

Reaction Score
This could hurt the Huskies. Big out of conference match-ups may decrease. Many Power 5 schools look for cupcakes in their early season out of conference schedule. In essence an extended preseason or training camp to get them ready for the main event, their conference schedule.

Our situation is usually reversed, with a very strong early out of conference schedule to partially make up for a good but not great competition in conference. We generally have major early tests before the conference games, which for us is giving an opportunity to go a little deeper on the bench and prepare for whatever rotations we want to settle on for the NCAA tournament.

Some of the top schools might save a spot for Uconn, but I would expect us to lose a couple of tough opponents, and have a little easier schedule in the future.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. If schools in the alliance are now forced to use a certain number of their out of conference games against the other teams in the alliance, they may not want to add another tough game to their schedule. We're probably going to have to really leverage and prod ESPN to put those games together, and even then the top schools may not see the benefit. We'll see. They've tried these alliances in the past, but it's never anything concrete and after a year or two everyone just sort of forgets about it and carries on as before.

Reaction Score
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. If schools in the alliance are now forced to use a certain number of their out of conference games against the other teams in the alliance, they may not want to add another tough game to their schedule. We're probably going to have to really leverage and prod ESPN to put those games together, and even then the top schools may not see the benefit. We'll see. They've tried these alliances in the past, but it's never anything concrete and after a year or two everyone just sort of forgets about it and carries on as before.
I think every wbb coach in the SEC wants to play UConn.

Baylor would probably love to keep UConn on schedule.

Maryland, Sanford, Oregon, NC State, Louisville? I guess that remains to be seen, but there are always "holiday tournaments."

There is nothing negative about scheduling UConn except the high possibilty or probability of losing. However, a loss doesn't really hurt your image.

Reaction Score
It means it's going to get tougher to schedule good out of conference opponents.

Unclear. Early reports that it would involve scheduling have been pulled back. And the scheduling comment was potentially more about FB than anything else.

The Alliance is a reaction to the SEC simultaneously pushing for the CFB playoff to expand while secretly adding two major new members. Concern that the SEC was trying to control everything. Thus this is a counterweight in terms of voting, decision making, etc.

Other impacts far from set.

CL82

Reaction Score
Huh? What is the basis for drawing such a definitive conclusion? There is absolutely zero concrete and substantive in the announcement.
Math. More conference and alliance games means less out of conference opportunities. Still, for WBB at least, I think we will be on the top of most teams dance cards.

CL82

Reaction Score
Unclear. Early reports that it would involve scheduling have been pulled back. And the scheduling comment was potentially more about FB than anything else.

The Alliance is a reaction to the SEC simultaneously pushing for the CFB playoff to expand while secretly adding two major new members. Concern that the SEC was trying to control everything. Thus this is a counterweight in terms of voting, decision making, etc.

Other impacts far from set.
You are forgetting conference realignment rule # 1: All things work out in a way that screws UConn.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I think every wbb coach in the SEC wants to play UConn.

Baylor would probably love to keep UConn on schedule.

Maryland, Sanford, Oregon, NC State, Louisville? I guess that remains to be seen, but there are always "holiday tournaments."

There is nothing negative about scheduling UConn except the high possibilty or probability of losing. However, a loss doesn't really hurt your image.
I completely agree VC, this alliance will in no way affect our usual OOC opponents appetite from scheduling UConn. The good teams goal is still the NC, and the way to get there is through UConn. This may change some of THEIR other OOC opponents, but the teams that thrive for greatness will know that a game with us is a game that will give them huge exposure for their program, and for recruiting, that is essential to showcase themselves to the rest of the country outside of their region. This will not affect us at all. We are still the gold standard!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Math. More conference and alliance games means less out of conference opportunities. Still, for WBB at least, I think we will be on the top of most teams dance cards.
Nothing in the announcement even hints at requiring "alliance" members to schedule more "intra-alliance" contests.

But by all means, let's seize on nonexistent evidence to draw airtight conclusions and commence panicking forthwith.

CL82

Reaction Score
Nothing in the announcement even hints at requiring "alliance" members to schedule more "intra-alliance" contests.

But by all means, let's seize on nonexistent evidence to draw airtight conclusions and commence panicking forthwith.
Lol, take a breath relax. We are all just speculating.

Just curious though. What meaning do you assign to the phrase "scheduling alliance?" To me that would agreement to schedule inter-conference, but perhaps you have another interpretation that makes sense.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I agree with all of the above maybe most of it anyway. What has been missing so far from the discussion is starting with the p5's is a gradual pullback from the NCAA, while diminishing their control over those schools. It has become obvious when we listen to the tea leaves, we know that the p5's have in effect taken control of the football post season, the attitude has become, we have the product do it our way or we may take the highway. Look at what NIL will do to the NCAA in essence taking away another stranglehold the NCAA had over the schools in regards to pay to the student athletes and the inevitable huge effect coming in recruiting.
For any University and conference not to plan ahead and do all they can to protect themselves in the currant environment could be a death knell. The NCAA has seen the writing on the wall, while giving up power and control that just yesterday would have been unthinkable. Changes are in the wind, maybe it's time. The Big 10 and their buddies have an agreement, so far no teeth or real substance, but I would bet that what comes in the near future will be substantial and far reaching.. I hope our team and their conference are looking to protect themselves, times they are a changing. I hope for the best.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think Big East, AAC and SEC should combine for another alliance. ... :)
I’d be shocked if the SEC extends an invitation to anymore programs. They are in the "cat-bird seat" as presently constituted. They may not want to share the TV revenue with anymore programs than they already have. They are only going to invite schools that have a thriving football program that has a large following and travels well. A team that would attract TV viewers.

The BIG East does not support football. Are there any teams in the AAC other than maybe UCF, Houston or Cincinnati that would look attractive to the SEC? :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom