OT: - Bicycles | The Boneyard

OT: Bicycles

Reaction Score
Before the pandemic hit I wanted to buy a new bike to take my son out on the road and do some rails to trails. Amid the pandemic the entire bicycle supply chain took a nose dive. With an increase in demand and low supply you can’t really get anything decent without waiting 6-12 months on back order, getting something used on marketplace/eBay/Craigslist, or blindly calling shops to see what’s in stock. I’ve learned patience through it all and still doing research. Hybrid bikes are far and few in between.

Anyone in the yard have experience with Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Canyon...?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Have had both Specialized and Trek mountain bikes and had great experiences with both.

For the last 15 years or more it’s been a Gary Fisher Big Sur, which is the best I’ve had in terms of size, configuration, weight, durability, etc. Front suspension and hybrid tires make it fine on the road and very capable on the trail.

Reaction Score
I have a Trek, Cannondale, and Specialized. All very good bikes. my fav for hills is the specialized. Not sure where you live, but Wilton Outdoor Sports has a winter sale.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I've probably owned 25 bikes as an adult (seven in the garage at the moment :confused:), and you really can't go too far wrong with any of the big brands. Proper fit trumps brand name. Like with cars, you can save a lot of $ buying used. In addition to CL and ebay, and possibly Pro's Closet, you can check out a bunch of the bike forums (PinkBike, RBR, MTBR, Paceline, Velocipede Salon etc). They all have clasifieds sections and you can often find good deals on well-cared-for higher end stuff.

Reaction Score
Proper fit trumps brand name.
Most important thing.

Unfortunately, to get a proper fit, you sometimes really have to buy new so that a knowledgeable bike guy can get you into the right fit.

But if you're biking regularly, then you certainly have to get the fit right.

I'm 6'3" and I went to a pro bike shop, where a couple of the people working there were guiding me into the wrong bike. The owner walks in, a former pro, he sizes me up (long torso, shorter legs for 6'3) and he puts me on a different bike entirely.

Also, some of the younger guys want you to buy some of the more aggressive accessories. For instance, I was buying a road bike and they were practically making fun of me for insisting on a leather saddle with springs. If you're not racing, there's no shame in getting a seat that maximizes comfort. Never understood the guys that wanted to damage their junk just to prove, well, nothing.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Most important thing.

Unfortunately, to get a proper fit, you sometimes really have to buy new so that a knowledgeable bike guy can get you into the right fit.

If you think you'll be riding a lot, you may want to consider paying a professional to to a fit session with you. You'll walk away knowing what sort of bike geometry and dimensions will work best for you. Then you have flexibility to buy from anywhere, including the used market.

I've been active on a bunch of bike forums for almost 30 years. If you want to message me with your rough location, I can probably get some local fitter recommendations for you.

Reaction Score
Most important thing.

I'm 6'3" and I went to a pro bike shop, where a couple of the people working there were guiding me into the wrong bike. The owner walks in, a former pro, he sizes me up (long torso, shorter legs for 6'3) and he puts me on a different bike entirely.

Also, some of the younger guys want you to buy some of the more aggressive accessories. For instance, I was buying a road bike and they were practically making fun of me for insisting on a leather saddle with springs. If you're not racing, there's no shame in getting a seat that maximizes comfort. Never understood the guys that wanted to damage their junk just to prove, well, nothing.

I went to a shop this weekend checking out a trek dual sport, very limited supply at the moment. The guy on the phone said they had one in stock... one. Get to the shop and it’s a women’s bike. I understood where he was coming from, basically saying these are unisex but with a dipped bike frame... I wasn’t really buying it. Leaving that aside, I gave it a test ride and enjoyed the bike. It was comfortable and shifted nicely. Took it as a learning experience versus a spontaneous purchase. As I walked out another guy came over and said, “good choice.”

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Before the pandemic hit I wanted to buy a new bike to take my son out on the road and do some rails to trails. Amid the pandemic the entire bicycle supply chain took a nose dive. With an increase in demand and low supply you can’t really get anything decent without waiting 6-12 months on back order, getting something used on marketplace/eBay/Craigslist, or blindly calling shops to see what’s in stock. I’ve learned patience through it all and still doing research. Hybrid bikes are far and few in between.

Anyone in the yard have experience with Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Canyon...?

Not to belittle the folks above, but I've raced bikes for 30 years and have owned dozens and you should not listen to any of them. Two other folks here race as well, but I forget their names.

Very little difference among the brands - most frames in the lower and middle range all source from a handful of factories and the components are common to all brands.

A bike shop will fit you to a used bike, so disregard the commentary above to the contrary. Might cost you, but bike shops exist on relationships, so you're likely looking at something like $75. Worth it.

The bike you test rode was almost certainly not unisex - the geometry of the frame was likely designed for a female rider. My advice - grab something used and cheap for now. Order a new bike....sell the old one when you get it.

Also, you can get a good lobster roll literally anywhere.

Reaction Score
Most important thing.

I would totally agree with this .

You do need to go to a reputable bike shop to get properly fitted. I mean with the owner there to fit you. He will recommend a bike to fit your needs. I have not biked in a while because of shoulder issues, but I would recommend Kevlar or some kind of tires with a measure of puncture resistance.

The biggest scam is selling everybody on a mountain bike with those knobby tires. They are great for off road, but the average person mostly rides on the street or on a linear bike trail which is becoming more commonplace throughout CT and many other states. Riding a mountain bike on a paved road , you don't get the speed or the smooth ride. So then, if you are going to ride off road on trails in the woods, do get one. Otherwise, get a regular bike.

If you are buying a regular bike and you have back issues, get upright handle bars. Yes, you will lose speed as opposed to the leaning forward bars, but you will not stress the back. Best to get shorts with padding to protect the perineum or the "junk."

With some nostalgia, I bought in the 1990's a Softride which has not been manufactured since 2007. Suspended beam for maximum comfort, and like riding on air. Only thing was, you had to find a shop that serviced it. But, the local shop seemed to know how even though, they did not sell it. I have a picture of one below. This is not mine, but similar. I installed upright handle bars to further protect my back, and I bought a deluxe seat for better cushioning.

1610922121495.png

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Have had both Specialized and Trek mountain bikes and had great experiences with both.

For the last 15 years or more it’s been a Gary Fisher Big Sur, which is the best I’ve had in terms of size, configuration, weight, durability, etc. Front suspension and hybrid tires make it fine on the road and very capable on the trail.
+1 on Gary Fisher - was definitely my favorite bike before it was stolen

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I got back into biking 3 years ago, but didn't want to spend a ton. Got a Giant Escape and like it just fine. I'm 6'2" with some heft and it's a comfortable ride. We have a superb rails-to-trails system south of Pittsburgh (Montour Trail) and if I have the time, it's easy to do 25-30 miles. Mixed surfaces (asphalt, dirt, crushed limestone/gravel) and other than cleaning off dust and standard lubing (and I'm not diligent) I've had no performance issues. I have no use at my age for mountain biking, so didn't need a true hybrid. The Escape is marketed as a city/commuter bike, but is lightweight enough for a low-end road bike, and sturdy enough for rails-to-trails. Probably better bikes out there for that purpose, but not for the price.

Reaction Score
My suggestion is if you’re a rails to trails rider and love the outdoors check out e bikes. They’re more expensive but they allow you venture off the trail and to areas you wouldn’t normally consider. I suppose it depends on where you live but if you can normally do a 20 mile ride you'll be able to double that on an e bike. Stay outside longer, go have lunch at that cafe you never could before and bring a friend with one. For me, more expensive and higher quality means I use it more.
The velo rules of bike ownership says the right amount of bikes to own is X + 1 where X is the amount you own now. It also says that the amount of too many bikes to own is X - 1 where X is the amount when your wife leaves you. Happy riding friend.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Not to belittle the folks above, but I've raced bikes for 30 years and have owned dozens and you should not listen to any of them. Two other folks here race as well, but I forget their names.

Very little difference among the brands - most frames in the lower and middle range all source from a handful of factories and the components are common to all brands.

A bike shop will fit you to a used bike, so disregard the commentary above to the contrary. Might cost you, but bike shops exist on relationships, so you're likely looking at something like $75. Worth it.

The bike you test rode was almost certainly not unisex - the geometry of the frame was likely designed for a female rider. My advice - grab something used and cheap for now. Order a new bike....sell the old one when you get it.

Wow. Me too on the racing thing. Not sure how any of that differs from what I said, with the exception of my suggestion to get a fit from a neutral pro fitter, not a bike shop willing to "fit" you so they can sell you a used bike. Maybe you have a fantastic bike shop (probably sponsors your racing team), but 99 times out of 100 that fit session will be done by an untrained 17 year old shop grom. But sure, your advice is much better.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I'm not sure where you're located but this is a great, old school bike shop in Bethel. The type of place that will answer any question you have if you call them.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I'm not sure where you're located but this is a great, old school bike shop in Bethel. The type of place that will answer any question you have if you call them.

Awesome to see that they are still around. They were a great shop when I knew them.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I would totally agree with this .

You do need to go to a reputable bike shop to get properly fitted. I mean with the owner there to fit you. He will recommend a bike to fit your needs. I have not biked in a while because of shoulder issues, but I would recommend Kevlar or some kind of tires with a measure of puncture resistance.

The biggest scam is selling everybody on a mountain bike with those knobby tires. They are great for off road, but the average person mostly rides on the street or on a linear bike trail which is becoming more commonplace throughout CT and many other states. Riding a mountain bike on a paved road , you don't get the speed or the smooth ride. So then, if you are going to ride off road on trails in the woods, do get one. Otherwise, get a regular bike.

If you are buying a regular bike and you have back issues, get upright handle bars. Yes, you will lose speed as opposed to the leaning forward bars, but you will not stress the back. Best to get shorts with padding to protect the perineum or the "junk."

With some nostalgia, I bought in the 1990's a Softride which has not been manufactured since 2007. Suspended beam for maximum comfort, and like riding on air. Only thing was, you had to find a shop that serviced it. But, the local shop seemed to know how even though, they did not sell it. I have a picture of one below. This is not mine, but similar. I installed upright handle bars to further protect my back, and I bought a deluxe seat for better cushioning.

View attachment 63686
Holy crap, I used to ride with a guy who raced for Softride (MTB, not road) when Bob Roll was racing for them. One of my best friends rode one for 3 or 4 years. We'd swap bikes on rides once in a while and I basically couldn't function on that thing. His also had the crazy Softride spring/elastomer suspension stem thing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Holy crap, I used to ride with a guy who raced for Softride (MTB, not road) when Bob Roll was racing for them. One of my best friends rode one for 3 or 4 years. We'd swap bikes on rides once in a while and I basically couldn't function on that thing.
I used to ride it on the Canal Line in Hamden. I would put it on the bike rack on my car and drive to the parking lot, unhitch it and ride on the linear trail. It rode a lot smoother than the old Cannondale or whatever bike I had before that.

It took a little getting used to at first, but I rarely felt a bump. Not a racer for sure, but ergonomic and no neck strain from leaning forward. Very comfortable ride.

It served my purposes, steady and predictable. Not for most people and that is probably why they stopped making them.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Started biking again back in early October of 2016 when we retired and moved to Floridsa. Picked up a used bike with one chain ring and 7 gears. Wife bought a used on at the same time. Same set up. Living in Florida, weather makes biking year round easy. About 18 months later I hurt my back and that put me on the shelf until July of 2020. Needed to loose some weight from inactivity so I started up again. With the bike I had, it took me 25+ minutes to ride 5 miles. It was a lot of effort. Since we have a bike club in the community, did a little talking with a few members about bikes. I had a lot to learn. In early September, 2020, I decided it was time for a new bike.

Bottom line, I purchased a Trek Verve 3. It's a hybrid. The fit is great. 18 speeds, disc brakes. It's a step thru frame.

I now ride 7 to 8 miles a day, regardless of weather. So yes, get a quality bike from a reputable shop. At the same time I got mine, my wife got a Verve 2 hybrid. And I've lost 19 pounds since September!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Save Up To 60% Off Road Bikes, Bicycles, Mountain Bikes and Bicycles with Bikesdirect.com, New with full warranties
i ride 12 months. for fun. nyc, beantown, wherever, tho mostly shoreline east, in my hood, at the beaches and hills, on road, off road. get a new or used ride that fits (not a big fan of suspension, but it can be useful if ur a rockhopper, which im not.). if the habit sticks, then get all caught up in gi joe with the kung grip bike jabber (see, eg 'golf equipment talk,' 'snow equipment talk,' and, my new favorite insanity, 'yoga equipment talk,'), and jump to the big bucks so you can have the sparkliest wall hanging in the garage. biking is fun.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

'Very little difference among the brands - most frames in the lower and middle range all source from a handful of factories and the components are common to all brands.' preach!
and much of this is, apparently, because of mr. cohen. i got my first nishiki, long ago, when living in sf. the appearance of quality and the ridiculous difference in price was why. since then, pretty much only them. this thread made me look closer, and what do i find? many of the brands bandied aboot here are somehow connected to him. on the udder hand, i have no clue about the current mfr, and the dicks sporting goods connection.
Nishiki (bicycle company) - Wikipedia
thank you, mr cohen. signed, 'get away from me with ur lurpy bike fashionwear and ur tpms sensitive to .25 lb, while ur ripping dirt at hammy beach. flat, off road, hammy beach.'

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tough time for buying bikes - I own several and have bought dozens, and the current market is ridiculous. Used bikes expensive, new ones scarce.

That being said, if shops can’t hook you up, a quick look at Facebook marketplace has a few used hybrid bikes or older mtn bikes for a few hundred $ or less. If you are just looking to ride rail trails, either should do fine. Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Giant ... all big names will be good enough. Walmart bikes will be a pain in the to adjust, stay away.

Getting fitted - that sounds WAY overboard. WAY overboard. If you told me (or any biker) your height, we could come close enough. 5’8” is medium, 6 ft large, and so on. Fitting happens when you love it and ride quite a bit.

My $.02. Good luck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom