Best way to create more space for Martin? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best way to create more space for Martin?

Reaction Score
Let’s quit with the 90s Knicks lineup that lacks much quickness & scoring Ability - so go w the Hawk.

Whaley can still play a ton of minutes. AJax is up & down BUT he is such a difference maker on glass/making athletic plays/pushing tempo. Love what he brings.

Let’s all agree to Never, ever be in this situation without shot creators and awful guard play outside one guy!!!

Reaction Score
Let’s quit with the 90s Knicks lineup that lacks much quickness & scoring Ability - so go w the Hawk.

Whaley can still play a ton of minutes. AJax is up & down BUT he is such a difference maker on glass/making athletic plays/pushing tempo. Love what he brings.

Let’s all agree to Never, ever be in this situation without shot creators and awful guard play outside one guy!!!
I’ve been preaching this since the cupcakes. Starting Whaley with Sanogo is terrible for our offense. Whaley plays so much better with Sanogo off the floor. And surrounding Sanogo with shooter is optimum. It’s such an obvious tweak imo.

Reaction Score
I’ve been preaching this since the cupcakes. Starting Whaley with Sanogo is terrible for our offense. Whaley plays so much better with Sanogo off the floor. And surrounding Sanogo with shooter is optimum. It’s such an obvious tweak imo.
I was saying we’ll be the 90s Knicks since the offseason my man unless Hawk and Diggins come through. It truly is so obvious totally agree!

Reaction Score
Our offense is at 1.17 ppp with both of them and 1.10 ppp in all other non-Whaley+Sanogo lineups. 1.11 with one of those two bigs, 0.93 with neither. Evidence points to the opposite conclusion.

Reaction Score
I think the one that needs more space is Andre Jackson. I really want to see more highlight reel dunks, but it’s tough to drive off the dribble with usually having Whaley and Sanogo crashing the bucket at the same time.

Also it seems he’s always looking to do some flashy pass first (or put up a very low percentage floater), when it seems a lot of the time he has space to go directly at the rim. I wish he was a bit more aggressive in that regard, but I get it when we don’t have a primary point guard.

Reaction Score
Our offense is at 1.17 ppp with both of them and 1.10 ppp in all other non-Whaley+Sanogo lineups. 1.11 with one of those two bigs, 0.93 with neither. Evidence points to the opposite conclusion.
Because the non Whaley+Sanogo lineups haven’t gotten the same chance. Those numbers would be drastically different imo if the non whaley+Sanogo lineup actually got a chance to develop some real chemistry early in the season

Reaction Score
Because the non Whaley+Sanogo lineups haven’t gotten the same chance. Those numbers would be drastically different imo if the non whaley+Sanogo lineup actually got a chance to develop some real chemistry early in the season
I've been preaching the same thing as you all season, but the sample sizes are all roughly equal. Whaley has played 48.1% of his minutes with Sanogo, and Sanogo has played 52.2% of his minutes with Whaley

Reaction Score
Last 30 days, so after most of the season to build chemistry. One of Whaley or Sanogo = 1.06 over 200 possessions (3 full games worth).
Both Whaley + Sanogo = 1.18 over 144 possessions.

Reaction Score
I've been preaching the same thing as you all season, but the sample sizes are all roughly equal. Whaley has played 48.1% of his minutes with Sanogo, and Sanogo has played 52.2% of his minutes with Whaley
Not at the start of games. A lot of the times when the lineup of one big is one the floor Gaff is the point. I wanted to see this lineup get an ample opportunity to build chemistry as a starting unit. I think we would’ve benefited from it. We got to see it against Mich St, although Akok was the guy inserted. And we saw it against PC(again Akok was inserted and no Sanogo). I’m the tournament and against elite coaching Whaley, Sanogo, Jackson, and a streaky Martin is way to easy to game plan for. They’re going to pack the paint. And ignore the hell out of Whaley and Jackson above the ft line.

Reaction Score
Last 30 days, so after most of the season to build chemistry. One of Whaley or Sanogo = 1.06 over 200 possessions (3 full games worth).
Both Whaley + Sanogo = 1.18 over 144 possessions.
How many of those minutes we’re with Gaffney at point?

And I’m looking ahead. It’s going to be the cause of a slow offensive start in March and it’ll be our undoing

Reaction Score
How many of those minutes we’re with Gaffney at point?

And I’m looking ahead. It’s going to be the cause of a slow offensive start in March and it’ll be our undoing
Last 30 days...

1.01 ppp over 146 possessions with 1 of the two bigs and no Gaffney.
Both of the bigs and no Gaffney 1.21ppp over 134 possessions.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I've suggested for last week or so UConn is playing better with a four out, one in lineup.

I'd move Whaley to the bench and start Hawkins. Martin becomes the de facto stretch 4 in a lineup with Cole, Jax, Hawkins, Martin and Sanogo. Lane should be much more clear, especially if Jax penetrates and kicks the ball out to Cole or Hawkins.
If anyone comes out of the rotation it’s AJ. You don’t get rid of the junkyard dog AJ cannot penetrate off the set half court offense. Plus whose attitude would you worry about playing with if either sits- I would be more concerned about Whaley. AJ’s offensive outputs as a 2 or 3 has been sorry

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Give him the ball and let himself bully his way into the paint. Then it's a layup or getting fouled.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Those past 2 Martin fast break possessions is exactly what I mean by he’s not a good finisher like past guys… those bunny layups are automatic for old guys of the past. It’s so frustrating how bad we can be in transition because we have no finishers.

Reaction Score
Those past 2 Martin fast break possessions is exactly what I mean by he’s not a good finisher like past guys… those bunny layups are automatic for old guys of the past. It’s so frustrating how bad we can be in transition because we have no finishers.
When you don't give the ball to the open man, that's what happens. Those weren't bunnies, They would have been if he passed to the open man.

Reaction Score
Good things happen for us when Tyrese gets in lanes. He gets a high percentage look or gets fouled. Even when he misses he’ll often get his own rebound and put it back. Players are afraid to step in front of him. Running him off screens getting him heading downhill is my favorite play we run. But with the Whaley-Jackson lineup there is no space for him to operate as teams play Whaley and Jackson as non-shooters. He’s much more effective when Polley and/or Hawkins is on the floor. Kid should be Jarrod Cumberland consistently but it’s just too cramped.

Would you start Hawkins in place of Whaley or Jackson? It’s a really tough choice because Whaley and Jackson are the 2 best defenders we have and with Jackson you get the added benefit of passing, namely entry passes to Sanogo.

Jackson has been getting beaten off the dribble a lot. I don;t see him as a solid defender right now.

Reaction Score
Good things happen for us when Tyrese gets in lanes. He gets a high percentage look or gets fouled. Even when he misses he’ll often get his own rebound and put it back. Players are afraid to step in front of him. Running him off screens getting him heading downhill is my favorite play we run. But with the Whaley-Jackson lineup there is no space for him to operate as teams play Whaley and Jackson as non-shooters. He’s much more effective when Polley and/or Hawkins is on the floor. Kid should be Jarrod Cumberland consistently but it’s just too cramped.

Would you start Hawkins in place of Whaley or Jackson? It’s a really tough choice because Whaley and Jackson are the 2 best defenders we have and with Jackson you get the added benefit of passing, namely entry passes to Sanogo.
Absolutely. All of the good teams/coaches we're playing are salivating at the prospect of playing 5 x 3 defense against Whaley/Jackson lineups and the problem seems to be getting worse. I love their defense, motor, and Jackson's passing like everyone else but going for extended stretches with more than one one-way player is a killer. It's definitely hurting Sanogo's post game and Cole and Martin's ability to drive.

Really astonished that Smart didn't do a better job of capitalizing on it on Tuesday but clearly Jay Wright and Travis Steele were all over it.

Reaction Score
Martin played great tonight. I haven't looked at any numbers. I have no idea how many points he scored. But he attacked. Maybe as much as he's attacked all year.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
When you don't give the ball to the open man, that's what happens. Those weren't bunnies, They would have been if he passed to the open man.
This team doesn't know how to pass and make good decisions. It's rare that we see someone get setup for an easy finish under the rim. Our main guys are not good passers or downright terrible at it (Cole, Martin, Sanogo)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom