Best upset potential ? | The Boneyard

Best upset potential ?

Which lower seed has best chance to win?

• Oregon over Lou

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Ariz over TAMU

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Indi over NC St

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Gat over SC

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Iowa or MoSt over UConn/Stan

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Texas or Mich over Md/Bay

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
By “upset” I mean ANY lower seed winning. My ordering:
  1. 6 Oregon over 2 Lou
  2. 3 Arizona over 2 TAMU
  3. 4 Indiana over 1 NC St
  4. 5 GaT over 1 SoCar
  5. 5 Iowa over 1 UConn
  6. 5 MoSt over 1 Stan
  7. 6 Texas over 2 Md
  8. 6 Mich over 2 Bay
I put Iowa 5th just because of fire power . I don’t think the others have much of a chance even on their best days. But IA is a bit more variable bc of Clark. If she plays out of her mind she has potential to carry a team (under the right circumstances).

Reaction Score
Texas will be a team I would eye too. These type of games are where Vic thrive in coaching. Wouldn't get my hopes up though because Maryland is still my pick in that region.

Reaction Score
Texas will be a team I would eye too. These type of games are where Vic thrive in coaching. Wouldn't get my hopes up though because Maryland is still my pick in that region.
I upgraded Texas from 8th because of Vic.
:D

Reaction Score
I also anticipate that Oregon has the best chance. Not because they are necessarily a better team but because both Oregon and Louisville have been noticeably underwhelming in the last half of the season. It seems 50/50 whether either team will play anywhere near its potential, and 50/50 is a lot higher than the chances in the other matchups (with the exception of maybe AZ vs. A&M).

I keep thinking Louisville's unreliable play is an aberration. But an aberration that lasts as long as it has might not be an aberration. Despite playing above seed, Oregon's play against Georgia wasn't pretty. And before the NCAAs Oregon had lost 5 of their last 6!

Maybe either Oregon or Louisville (or both) will finally turn it on.

Reaction Score
I'm a long-time, die-hard Louisville fan and I voted for Oregon over us.

BoomBoom captured our play over the last six weeks or so perfectly - "noticeably underwhelming."

This team met my late-season expectations when they made the Sweet 16. I said before the tournament started that anything beyond that would surprise me.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'll go with Indiana nipping North Carolina State, particularly if Kayla Jones is still out. Jones averages 11+ ppg and just under 8 rpg. If she's in, Wolfpack are on full cylinders. If not, that helps the Hoosiers, who only play two forwards. But those forwards -- Gulbe and Holmes -- play tough defense and rebound well.

And Holmes is a pesky offensive player who has some McHale-like moves around the basket that could annoy Cunane no end.

Ultimately, I like Indiana because Ali Patberg does not get fazed and Grace Berger is unrelenting with her drives and pull-up jumpers. She's strong on and off the ball and both she and Patberg tend to get other people in foul trouble, not the other way around.

Low-scoring affair with IU just pulling ahead enough to hit the Elite 8.

Reaction Score
ESPN had 6 analysts pick the games — UConn, SC, Stan, MD were unanimous.
Baylor and NC St picked by 5/6.

but 4/6 went for upsets with AZ snd OR winning.

Reaction Score
Oregon and AZ are sexy picks to me.... Louisville has been a bit distorted offensively and A&M has been limping their way to wins the entire tournament.

Reaction Score
Oregon and AZ are sexy picks to me.... Louisville has been a bit distorted offensively and A&M has been limping their way to wins the entire tournament.
I wish we were only a bit disoriented....I think that our GPS has driven us off a cliff.

Reaction Score
I'll go with Indiana nipping North Carolina State, particularly if Kayla Jones is still out. Jones averages 11+ ppg and just under 8 rpg. If she's in, Wolfpack are on full cylinders. If not, that helps the Hoosiers, who only play two forwards. But those forwards -- Gulbe and Holmes -- play tough defense and rebound well.

And Holmes is a pesky offensive player who has some McHale-like moves around the basket that could annoy Cunane no end.

Ultimately, I like Indiana because Ali Patberg does not get fazed and Grace Berger is unrelenting with her drives and pull-up jumpers. She's strong on and off the ball and both she and Patberg tend to get other people in foul trouble, not the other way around.

Low-scoring affair with IU just pulling ahead enough to hit the Elite 8.
I love the way that Berger plays. She went to high school a couple miles from my home. Sure wish Louisville had gotten her. Walz apparently went after her hard.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I love the way that Berger plays. She went to high school a couple miles from my home. Sure wish Louisville had gotten her. Walz apparently went after her hard.

A friend of mine refs AAU tournaments and he reffed a few of her games waaay back and he was completely impressed with her game.
I always thought it was a case of Walz not thinking that highly of her. Thanks for the insight. If she can continue to improve, I can see her having a shot at the WNBA or certainly playing overseas. She and Patberg match up well.

Reaction Score
I’m going with a Missouri State upset win over Stanford on this one, sorta like a rematch game to me.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is interesting because there is no denying how well MD and Baylor played their first two games and Stanford is on fire from three ... but it is that time when teams start to feel invincible and that is not a winning mentality ... and not likely to happen with the underdogs in any of these matches.

I sort of suspect a few teams will throw clunkers this weekend and praying it isn't Uconn

Reaction Score
I sort of suspect a few teams will throw clunkers this weekend and praying it isn't Uconn
I'm praying that my Cardinals have their two clunkers out of their system. I'm guessing that they sure don't feel invincible now (if they ever did).

My fear is that even a "non-clunker" won't be good enough for them to advance any farther.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Elissa Cunane has made just 6 FG out of 22 attempts through the first two games of the NCAAT; she averaged over 23 points per game in the ACCT. I'm hoping for a return to form today when NC State faces Indiana. It won't be easy.

One encouraging sign is that NC State seems to have re-discovered its shooting touch from the perimeter. After shooting less than 25% from THREE during the ACCT, the Wolfpack Women are shooting the THREE at an over 36% clip through the first two games of the NCAAT.

Reaction Score
  1. 6 Oregon over 2 Lou
  2. 3 Arizona over 2 TAMU
  4. 5 GaT over 1 SoCar
  5. 5 Iowa over 1 UConn
  6. 5 MoSt over 1 Stan
  7. 6 Texas over 2 Md
  8. 6 Mich over 2 Bay
I put Iowa 5th just because of fire power . I don’t think the others have much of a chance even on their best days. But IA is a bit more variable bc of Clark. If she plays out of her mind she has potential to carry a team (under the right circumstances).
Ha well my 8th most likely went to OT.

Reaction Score
Everyone coalesced around Oregon, Arizona, and Indiana. The latter 2 have won. Will Oregon make it a clean sweep?

Reaction Score
  1. 6 Oregon over 2 Lou
  2. 3 Arizona over 2 TAMU
  4. 5 GaT over 1 SoCar
  5. 5 Iowa over 1 UConn
  6. 5 MoSt over 1 Stan
  7. 6 Texas over 2 Md
  8. 6 Mich over 2 Bay
So my 2 & 3 & 7 were upsets and 8 was near upset.
1,4,5,6 not so much

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom