Best UConn sports broadcasters | The Boneyard

Best UConn sports broadcasters

Reaction Score
Who did you like the best over the years?

I remember George Ehrlich when I went to UConn , and later Mary Glickman, and more recently Wayne Norman, Joe D., and probably many other very good ones I cannot recall.

All were excellent.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Ahhh...ummm...ahhhhh....hmmmmm.....There was someone ahhhhh ummmmm but I can't ummmm remember his ummmmm name.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I have great memories listening to Joe D on WTIC when games weren't televised or I was in the car driving somewhere. Had to deal with some occasional crackling on the AM station but a small price to pay to listen to Husky games.

I always loved when Bill Raftery did UConn games also. "One Marshall handcuffed the other Marshall!".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was brief, but Marty Glickman was the best. Games had a totally professional sound even though it was some of UConn's worst Big East teams. He ended up leaving because he tired of the drive up from New Jersey.

Reaction Score
Easy for me - George Ehrlick. Mike Gorman and Bill Raferty are great but they are not UConn announcers.
Good Raf story. After THE game in Tampa he was in the bar I was in celebrating and we exchanged high 5s, hugs and smiles. Saw him and screamed how about those onions. He loved it. What a great night that was.

Reaction Score
Chris Jones is by far the best

Also, John Tuite doing men's soccer on WHUS. Also, if you go back far enough, Tuite also did plenty of basketball on WHUS as well, including a bunch of women's basketball final fours. He was very good. I recall when WTIC got the broadcast rights for basketball and football back around 1990 (or whenever it was), I wrote the station a letter suggesting they get Tuite as the main play by play guy. So much for my influence.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Anyone but George Ehrlick. He refused to call UConn the Huskies but referred to them as the UConn's. Every time he did so I wanted to throw the radio against the wall.

Reaction Score
Not UConn announcers, but Verne Lundquist and Bill Raftery called a lot of big UConn games and moments. Love that pairing.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Dee Rowe classic quote to Joe D regarding Murray William's playing at the Carrier Dome - "It's a long way from Torrington Joe"

Reaction Score
It was brief, but Marty Glickman was the best. Games had a totally professional sound even though it was some of UConn's worst Big East teams. He ended up leaving because he tired of the drive up from New Jersey.
Marty was a Truly great radio announcer. He could paint a picture with his voice. As he learned his craft before TV at a time radio had to be as visual as possible.
I think he had been the voice of the Knicks in the 1940’s and 1950’s. He was a real pro . UConn was a retirement job for him.
However he never really had the emotional attachment that a George Ehrlich or others had. I love homers as radio announcer. who truly celebrate our wins and suffer with us through are struggles.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How about some love for Bob Huessler
The greatest call in UConn history. So good that when they show the play on TV they play his call and not the TV guy's. It was so good that he did one more game for UConn and Arnold Dean fired him.

Reaction Score
For me unquestionably George Ehrlich. Those cold winter nights taking my transistor radio to my room to listen to WTIC s broadcast . I used to keep score and still have the scoresheets from those 1960s games. Every so often we would get a TV game on channel 8 or a regional telecast. This truly made me a Uconn fan for life! I never missed a game even in the late 60s lean years. Will never forget George Ehrlich.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I started with Ehrlich when I first got a clock/radio. To the ear of a kid, he sounded like a real pro. Then again the only other basketball on the radio I heard back then was Johnny Most. What got me when I first started listening was his constantly proclaiming "Bialosuknia!" "Bialosuknia!" As a new reader, I had no idea what that word meant.

Reaction Score
Joe D, with the quick little 'good' on the made three.

Joe almost killed me one day. On the trip the team took to Israel, the last game was in the afternoon for us here, as he always does he tells us the direction the team is running. His description was 'Uconn will defend the Dead Sea end of the court', laughed till I cried.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom