Best Uconn game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Uconn game

Reaction Score
#1. Jan 4th, 2003. UConn 63 Tenn 62 in OT. This was the game where DT hit the half court shot at the buzzer at the end of H1. Also featured an awesome baseline spin move by Strother. The crowds at the Civic Center were fantastic back in those days. I was at that game and will never forget it.

#2. The block party vs Tenn to win the championship in 2000.

Reaction Score
#1. Jan 4th, 2003. UConn 63 Tenn 62 in OT. This was the game where DT hit the half court shot at the buzzer at the end of H1. Also featured an awesome baseline spin move by Strother. The crowds at the Civic Center were fantastic back in those days. I was at that game and will never forget it.

You're right.I should have thought of that game. After fighting our way through the snowstorm (driving from Philly), we got there just before the half and no sooner were we settled in than she made that shot. Great game.

Reaction Score
You're right.I should have thought of that game. After fighting our way through the snowstorm (driving from Philly), we got there just before the half and no sooner were we settled in than she made that shot. Great game.
I'd be curious to hear from folks who were at that game (or some of the other TN games at the peak of the rivalry) and who were also at #100. I'm curious how the electricity in the audience compared. Some of those UConn-TN games were similar to a (men's) pro playoff game in the intensity of the crowd/game.

Reaction Score
I'd be curious to hear from folks who were at that game (or some of the other TN games at the peak of the rivalry) and who were also at #100. I'm curious how the electricity in the audience compared. Some of those UConn-TN games were similar to a (men's) pro playoff game in the intensity of the crowd/game.
I was at a couple of DT's regular season away games at TN - the "Punch something orange" game and the "I thought they were mooing" game. I must admit those 18,000+ home crowds at Thompson-Bowling were loud and electric (and in the case of the "mooing" game, very ugly, with racial epithets, body shaming and threats screamed at DT and Geno). Man, that was a 'real' rivalry. Supremacy was slipping away from Tennessee and they DIDN'T like it at all, nor did they acknowledge it (some are still in denial).

The few years I went to every game ALL the home games were sellouts and it was sometimes difficult to scam a couple tix. I wouldn't say the fans were 'rabid', but the energy level was high compared to nowadays. You even had to be weeks or months early to get away game tickets for nearby (Providence, BC, Rutgers, Villanova, etc.).

But I got a wake-up call when I went to a men's game at Gampel vs. Oklahoma when UConn was ranked #1 and OU #3 (2003 or 04 I think). The energy and volume was WAY higher than any women's game I've ever been to. I mean order-of-magnitude higher, like feeling the thunder through the floor. I guess this difference is also reflected by the hundreds of $millions the NCAA makes off the men's tourney, a small portion of which they use to subsidize the women's tourney. WBB just doesn't seem to activate the 18-35 testosterone and associated sports spending power.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I still have last year's championship game on the DVR. It was poetry in motion.

Reaction Score
So many----

I didn't see much of 94-95 title game but imo that would be tops.

The best finals game for me would probably be 99-00 wipeout of Tenn.
The best semi-finals for me would be Stewie's frosh year beating ND and DT's jr year beating Texas.
The best final four run for me was Stewie's frosh year. A close 2nd DT's jr year.
The most looking forward to Final Four- was May's Jr year with Tina vs Baylor then Stanford. The Stanford game overall in terms of quality was awful though. Thank God for Maya and Doty.

**The 2nd most exciting game and best Big East tourney game for me was Bird at the Buzzer.

The best reg. season I saw and attended was DT's jr year beating Tenn in Overtime.
I know the game in 94-95 beating Tenn was off-the-charts but I didn't see much of it if any.
Maybe the best performance I saw or remember from the past was a combo of Maya and Tina vs hated Syracuse in Tina's sr year. First game Maya goes for 38pts and 20 rebounds in a blowout. And then later in year they play UCuse and Tina gets 34 going 16-19 from the floor.

Reaction Score

I agree with #1.

Didn't see the game in person. Viewed it from a sports bar in D.C. All TVs were tuned in to guys games when I arrived and asked the bartender to turn the game on. Heard a few grumbles when the channel was changed. By game's end, more eyes were on that game than any other (my estimate). Huge cheer went up when Diana sank that 3/4 court shot at the end of the first half.

Reaction Score
The few years I went to every game ALL the home games were sellouts and it was sometimes difficult to scam a couple tix. I wouldn't say the fans were 'rabid', but the energy level was high compared to nowadays. You even had to be weeks or months early to get away game tickets for nearby (Providence, BC, Rutgers, Villanova, etc.).
Remember when Stringer limited ticket sales to UConn fans. She didn't want to play an "away" in her own house!

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily have a favorite game but there is something about the big games this year that have been so exciting. The fact that they weren't picked to win most of the games but did, I think made the games so much more fun to watch. Are there better ones?? Of course. The beginning Years, the 2003 and 2004 years.

Reaction Score
texas in the ncaa's in 2015, or miss st in 2016 ncaa's, and depaul earlier this season were probably some of the best games uconn has ever played.

Dayton in 2015 was a really good game too, close enough to make you sweat but comfortable at the end, and two good teams playing well throughout.

Reaction Score
One of the best games I've ever been at was against North Caroline, sometime in the later 2000s. Maybe in that 05-08 era? It was at Gampel Pavilion, and both teams play such a fast moving / fastbreak / transition game, that it was just a fantastic game! (UCONN won of course!) Gampel was rocking! Literally! I don't know if I've ever seen it quite so rocking since - even the South Carolina and Notre Dame games!

Reaction Score
I also have to add last year's (2016) national championship game because it was my first final four!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Changing the question just a bit: best game that UConn ever lost....at Gampel in the 1999-2000
season....against LadyVol herself. That was one of the years when we played them home/away each season. We had beaten them at T/B earlier and went into the Gampel game undefeated. Tight thruout....back and forth. Down the stretch Shea and Semeka [Boo] Randall hit several shots.
Down one with just a few seconds to go Svet had it at half-court on a break and threw it near[under?] the basket to Tamika Williams. Tamika never really got a legit shot off. I think the final was 71-70.
Great game....tremendous atmosphere.

I am a firm believer that a loss can be of benefit to the losing team....if you have a top notch coaching staff
and players eager to learn....which we have always had in spades.

Later that year in Philly in the NC game....we routed them....ring #2. Would we have done that if we had won in Gampel? I have no idea...but I suspect that loss and our shortcomings that game were
mentioned a time or two by Geno and CD leading up to that championship game.

BTW: we have read this year more than a few comparisons between Crystal and Moriah.
You might spot some similarities between Crystal and frosh Kennitra Johnson on that Ring #2 team.

Reaction Score
Remember when Stringer limited ticket sales to UConn fans. She didn't want to play an "away" in her own house!
Ya I figured out how to beat that system. They just wouldn't mail tix to a CT address.

When I lived in Milwaukee, Cubs fans who couldn't get tickets to Wriggly would buy tix to Brewers games to see the Cubs play in Milwaukee (2 hours away). The Brewers fans got upset when they caught the Brewers advertising tickets on Chicago radio. The upset Brewers fans should have done what the Rutgers fans should have done - BUY THE TICKETS YOURSELVES!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom