Best UCONN Day Since 2011 NC | The Boneyard

Best UCONN Day Since 2011 NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Honestly, it was like somebody let the air back in the room! I was smiling from ear to ear after the men finished off what turned out to be a great day for Husky Nation. We're back, baby! We're back...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
was anyone else upset espn boinked us with the game on espnu becuase its fball bowl season? this could have gone from a great day to a huge one for us if that was on espn 2 or w/e. considering the past 2 months...i'll take today a lot.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
was anyone else upset espn boinked us with the game on espnu becuase its fball bowl season? this could have gone from a great day to a huge one for us if that was on espn 2 or w/e. considering the past 2 months...i'll take today a lot.

I was a little bit thrown off by it, since it was Number 1 vs. Number 2 (and now everyone else knows who number 1 really is!), but then I thought that most cable companies carry ESPNU right next to the other ESPN channels, don't they? If that's the case, I'm not all that broken up by it. It is the unfortunate reality that in the world of sports, women's contests take a back seat to the men's, and especially football....

Reaction Score
After the woman won, and the "other" good news :) , I just felt a weight lifted. This is absolutely wonderful!

Reaction Score
I think we have a troll or some problem with the car. Recent member and what is up with those 2 post's of his?

Reaction Score
I think we have a troll or some problem with the car. Recent member and what is up with those 2 post's of his?
I would have to agree with you there. Another retard on the boards.

Reaction Score
1) Ollie gets contract
2) Nice win vs. West Coast Huskies
3) Women CRUSH #1 Stanford
If we're Rutgers or PC this would be the best day in our history. Rutgers is 5-7 all-time in the NCAA tournament. We've had single tounaments where we have won more games. That 5-7 is with a 1976 final four.

Reaction Score

It's women's basketball, the #2 team put up a whopping 35 points.

Does anyone watch women's ball outside of CT and TN? Espn U seems right

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's women's basketball, the #2 team put up a whopping 35 points.

Does anyone watch women's ball outside of CT and TN? Espn U seems right

This is what the now #15 men's team did on the main ESPN channel a little while back:

Georgetown 37 - Tennessee 36

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=323350046

Two games later, they beat Towson....yes, Towson....by a score of 46 - 40...

Care to tell me again why your point holds any water?

It's okay for people to say they don't like women's basketball if they just don't like it. But don't try to quantify it somehow or justify it through some box score. Just say you don't like it...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Darn good day! Not anything like 2010 but given all the crud that has occurred over the last two years yesterday felt special. Loved the women's victory. Love the men's victory. Especially loved seeing KO get the contract!

Reaction Score
If we're Rutgers or PC this would be the best day in our history. Rutgers is 5-7 all-time in the NCAA tournament. We've had single tounaments where we have won more games. That 5-7 is with a 1976 final four.

I wouldn't trade what UConn has done in the last 25 years for what RU, BC and SU have in terms of Conference realignment security.

Reaction Score
This is what the now #15 men's team did on the main ESPN channel a little while back:

Georgetown 37 - Tennessee 36

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=323350046

Two games later, they beat Towson....yes, Towson....by a score of 46 - 40...

Care to tell me again why your point holds any water?

It's okay for people to say they don't like women's basketball if they just don't like it. But don't try to quantify it somehow or justify it through some box score. Just say you don't like it...

I'm sure if you search hard you can find a men's team who scored less then 35 points.

That gtown game was a mid week game in November. If you want to be on espn on Saturday during men's basketball and bowl season you have to put a better product out there then your #2 team scoring 35 points if you want to be on the big boy channels during a very busy time.

The product is why no one watches the sport outside of CT and TN.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm sure if you search hard you can find a men's team who scored less then 35 points.

That gtown game was a mid week game in November. If you want to be on espn on Saturday during men's basketball and bowl season you have to put a better product out there then your #2 team scoring 35 points if you want to be on the big boy channels during a very busy time.

The product is why no one watches the sport outside of CT and TN.

They scored 35 because they got dominated by a much better UConn team that scored 61. So stop trying to justify the fact that you don't like the team with numbers. Just say you don't like them. The product was good. Very very good....

Reaction Score
They scored 35 because they got dominated by a much better UConn team that scored 61. So stop trying to justify the fact that you don't like the team with numbers. Just say you don't like them. The product was good. Very very good....

I don't like it and neither does America outside of CT and TN that's why it's 1 v 2 matchup had a lower rating then the "meaningless" bowl games on Saturday. That's why it is and should be on espnu.

Hey but keep telling yourself the product is great and people care about a sport that has no parity.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't like it and neither does America outside of CT and TN that's why it's 1 v 2 matchup had a lower rating then the "meaningless" bowl games on Saturday. That's why it is and should be on espnu.

Hey but keep telling yourself the product is great and people care about a sport that has no parity.

College football has no parity either, since the SEC has won the title 6 years in a row and will be in the Championship game in the 7th year. One has nothing to do with the other. Hey but keep telling yourself that what you don't like should be what everyone doesn't like...

Reaction Score
Dan - I have no problem with anybody who likes women's basketball, but you lost me with that last point. Yeah, the SEC has won six titles in a row, but the titles have been won by three different teams, and most of the six games have come down to the wire. And you're kidding yourself if you don't think the BCS system has a lot to do with the SEC winning six straight titles.

Meanwhile, in women's basketball, you had a matchup between two top five teams, where one team went into the others building and won by 26 - the game was never even in question, just a complete stomping from the start. This is the type of competitiveness you'd see in a 16 vs. 1 matchup in the mens game.

Looking elsewhere, I see that the fifth ranked team, Notre Dame, beat the eleventh ranked team, Purdue, by about the same margin, 74-47. We'll be conservative and assume that Stanford had an off-day, and that they are 15 points worse than UConn on a neutral court. I just don't want to watch a product where the best team is 15 points better than the third or fourh best team, and the fifth best team is 25 points better than the eleventh ranked team. `

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan - I have no problem with anybody who likes women's basketball, but you lost me with that last point. Yeah, the SEC has won six titles in a row, but the titles have been won by three different teams, and most of the six games have come down to the wire. And you're kidding yourself if you don't think the BCS system has a lot to do with the SEC winning six straight titles.

Meanwhile, in women's basketball, you had a matchup between two top five teams, where one team went into the others building and won by 26 - the game was never even in question, just a complete stomping from the start. This is the type of competitiveness you'd see in a 16 vs. 1 matchup in the mens game.

Looking elsewhere, I see that the fifth ranked team, Notre Dame, beat the eleventh ranked team, Purdue, by about the same margin, 74-47. We'll be conservative and assume that Stanford had an off-day, and that they are 15 points worse than UConn on a neutral court. I just don't want to watch a product where the best team is 15 points better than the third or fourh best team, and the fifth best team is 25 points better than the eleventh ranked team. `

Again, don't make it out to be that the reason you don't like the women's product is because of the score of yesterday's game. Just say you don't like it. Is it more exciting when Alabama beats LSU in a #1 vs. #2 championship matchup by the score of 21-0? 21-0!!! And you can't make the argument that the SEC is only there because of the BCS system; nobody has beaten them in almost a decade for the championship, period.

I've already stated in this very thread that I thought that it was probably alright that the women's game was on ESPNU, with the assumption that ESPNU is clustered within an "ESPN block" on most cable providers, since I know that it was going up against a Saturday lineup of bowl games and men's bball. It's the same reason that you aren't seeing bowl games today going up against the NFL. There are just way more fans of the latter vs. the former. What I grow tired of is when people try to justify the "why" in them not liking it. Again, just say you don't like it...

Reaction Score
Pretty damn good day if you ask me. Unfortunately while we got rid of the uncertainty as to who the UConn coach will be for the next few years, we have no idea where the hell UConn basketball is going to be in the next few years.

Reaction Score
Again, don't make it out to be that the reason you don't like the women's product is because of the score of yesterday's game. Just say you don't like it. Is it more exciting when Alabama beats LSU in a #1 vs. #2 championship matchup by the score of 21-0? 21-0!!! And you can't make the argument that the SEC is only there because of the BCS system; nobody has beaten them in almost a decade for the championship, period.

I've already stated in this very thread that I thought that it was probably alright that the women's game was on ESPNU, with the assumption that ESPNU is clustered within an "ESPN block" on most cable providers, since I know that it was going up against a Saturday lineup of bowl games and men's bball. It's the same reason that you aren't seeing bowl games today going up against the NFL. There are just way more fans of the latter vs. the former. What I grow tired of is when people try to justify the "why" in them not liking it. Again, just say you don't like it...

I think citing a lack of parity for my lack of interest in women's basketball is a pretty justifiable reason, no? I'm not just basing this on the scores of yesterday's games - the vast majority of talent in the sport has long been distributed between a handful of schools (UConn, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Baylor, etc.) How many straight games did the UConn program win? 85? I read somewhere that they went the entire 2008-9 season without winning a game by less than ten points. This level of dominance is unsustainable in D-1 football.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks there is parity in women's basketball is a doofus

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think citing a lack of parity for my lack of interest in women's basketball is a pretty justifiable reason, no? I'm not just basing this on the scores of yesterday's games - the vast majority of talent in the sport has long been distributed between a handful of schools (UConn, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Baylor, etc.) How many straight games did the UConn program win? 85? I read somewhere that they went the entire 2008-9 season without winning a game by less than ten points. This level of dominance is unsustainable in D-1 football.

If your position is that you don't like women's basketball due to the lack of parity, in the absence of yesterday's score, then of course I think that's a legit reason. My main argument was with the other poster who was trying to use yesterday's score as an excuse for why nobody should like women's basketball. You are absolutely right that there are only a handful of teams every year that have a legitimate chance at winning it all, and UConn is certainly one of them.

But I do want to get back to the original spirit of this thread, because yesterday UConn walked into the home of one of those handful of legit teams, a place where the home team had won 85 straight times, and we cleaned their clocks....:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom