Best time to go to UConn as a basketball fan? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best time to go to UConn as a basketball fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Graduated in '10. The team did not win a single Big East tournament game in my time attending the university (2006-2010). I believed I was cursed.

We had the final 4 run in '09 which was nice. I still believe that we give UNC a run at the title if Dyson doesn't go down with injury.

I still knew enough people on campus in '11 that I was able to be at Storrs/Gampel for the Final4 that year. So that was nice.

Reaction Score
Graduated in '10. The team did not win a single Big East tournament game in my time attending the university (2006-2010). I believed I was cursed.

So you're the one to blame...

UChusky916

Reaction Score
So you're the one to blame...

The dam finally broke after I graduated and they went on for 5 wins in 5 days in 2011... so you can credit me for those built-up wins, we had 'em coming! ;)

UChusky916

Reaction Score
I would imagine that being at uconn from 2000-2004 (class of 04) would have been really special. If you were arriving at UConn for Aug/Sept 1999 as a freshman, you probably already had it in your mind that you were attending UConn before or around March of 1999. So you probably had a rooting interest in the 1999 title win before it was even cool for UConn to win championships. Then you get the 2004 title season as a senior. Must have been special.

Reaction Score
The dam finally broke after I graduated and they went on for 5 wins in 5 days in 2011... so you can credit me for those built-up wins, we had 'em coming! ;)

I believe a whole lot of people owe Jerome Dyson an apology after this mea culpa.

Reaction Score
I'm going to say kids who came to UConn for the 12/13 season. They watched a team that was basically the island of misfit toys mature into a championship team, while getting to witness our final Big East season. Then they have this year with our conference tournament being in Hartford, which would probably present a once in a lifetime opportunity for some of the kids to attend a tournament UConn is a part of. It's not the NCAA or Big East tourney, but it still would be something special. And finally, they would end their UConn careers with our fifth NC in 2015-16.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
My freshman year was '99. I can still hear the "f Dook" chants. The after party rivaled spring weekend. I returned to campus for '04 and it wasn't nearly the same. We also had a few women's championships between too....but just about any of the last 15 years had women's success.
Without looking it up, I'd guess class of 99, as I was, had to be the only four-year stretch in the past 20 years without a women's title.

Reaction Score
What if you thought about it in an all around sense? Not just basketball. I know when I was there in 99-02 there was a lot of turmoil. Uconn 2000 project plus the ship success aftermath changed the campus from a prison to a beauty. I remember the old ROTC building with boarded up windows and "danger asbestos" signs with skull and crossbones. Try to have that on today's campus. Just prior to me were the spring weekend riots. As I went out started all dry freshman dorms. Smart kids go there now but kill a keg isn't allowed. Frat row was no more and South campus opened. You could get pizza in the cafeteria every day! I went out with the beginning of Hilltop apartments. We had Two steps and Husky Blues but we didn't have a movie theater.

Reaction Score
i was at in school from 98 -02, and was around the campus until 04, and even during that time i saw how the campus was starting to change. the campus atmosphere was so different back then. There was the killa-keg riot, and the x-lot riot in 98. The energy on campus after we won in 99 was so freaking crazy, still have not seen anything like it. And spring weekend that year, it seemed as if they let people go crazy as well without shutting down the festivities.. or at least where i was. Even if you compare the 99 and 04 championships, 99 was by far more wild. the women won the chip in 2000, and in 2002, and for that I still remember crazy crowds and a a lot girls flashing after they won. The men's soccer team won in 01 i think? Football was such an after thought that if you said you were going to a game ppl probably would have laughed at you, and since i work in the athletic dept. got paid to be at the game, which was the only reason to watch...but everyone was starting to get excited that they were moving up to D1. i have to say working in athletic operations from 00-02 was one of the best jobs i have had in my life. but going back to campus now, definitely a different world from when i went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom