Best thing to save UConn FB is CR shake up. We need OSU to | The Boneyard

Best thing to save UConn FB is CR shake up. We need OSU to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
win and get in, and FSU to also win. Let the Big 12 cry and realize they need 2 more teams and a CCG, so expand by taking Cincy and UConn. Hopefully Big 12 will realize that UConn fb in 4 or 5 years has a conservative 65/35 probability of ruling NE. Before the BE blew up we were superior to Cuse, and at par with RU and BCU. Give us a conference and time and I strongly believe UConn fb will rise to be greater New England's team. The potential is real and significant.

ND also may realize that Conference Champs rule, and would trump an 11-1 ND team. But ND is ND so I have no faith they will do anything to help UConn.

Talk of Memphis, UCF, and ECU being ahead of UConn is trash. You always want to have the number one draw in an extended area, or the real potential to have this. UCF and ECU will always be the 3rd or 4th choice in their own state. Memphis.......please.

Last edited:

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Get in what?
But yes, I think UConn would jump to a conf like big12. Think they take Cincy and UCF (or Memphis, if recent rumors persist) but yeah, I'd go b12 and not hold out.

Reaction Score
win and get in, and FSU to also win. Let the Big 12 cry and realize they need 2 more teams and a CCG, so expand by taking Cincy and UConn. Hopefully Big 12 will realize that UConn fb in 4 or 5 years has a conservative 65/35 probability of ruling NE. Before the BE blew up we were superior to Cuse, and at par with RU and BCU. Give us a conference and time and I strongly believe UConn fb will rise to be greater New England's team. The potential is real and significant.

ND also may realize that Conference Champs rule, and would trump an 11-1 ND team. But ND is ND so I have no faith they will do anything to help UConn.

Talk of Memphis, UCF, and ECU being ahead of UConn is trash. You always want to have the number one draw in an extended area, or the real potential to have this. UCF and ECU will always be the 3rd or 4th choice in their own state. Memphis..please.
and yet they all will be looked at before us...

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Seriously. Enough with the CR crap.

We just lost to SMU.

We are 2-10. There is NO conference coming for us. We need to fix UConn football before anybody else wants in. STOP BLAMING OUR CRAP CONFERENCE. The

This team is broken. It needs fixing. Let's worry about that and not about what conference we're at the bottom of.

Reaction Score
I believe some of the more insightful posters have already commented that they rate this year an F, with no rays of hope (other than our FR RB). Perhaps HCBD can change things but he has shown absolutely nothing to instill hope.

I would rather not think of the current situation, but merely am expressing the hope that it plays out where TCU and Baylor end up number 5 and 6. That would be a huge event for the Big 12 to expand asap. I believe, even with this year's results, that the Big 12 would see that UConn is a prize and is the logical choice for potential.

Reaction Score
UConn wasn't even talked about during Big 12 last realignment discussion. The Big 12 talked about BYU, UCF, Memphis, and Houston. Our administrations been working the Big 12 for a while. There were Big 12 representatives at our championship game last Saturday.

UConn is more ideal for Big 10 and ACC

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Honestly the LAST thing you want is for the Big12 to have to expand next year. We are so putrid that there is not a single P5 conference that would even consider looking our way. If anything, you want TCU to make it in and keep things status quo for a bit. Even as it stands, the Big 12 is never going to add UConn. You'd need added movement in other conferences for this to help UConn

Reaction Score
I believe that football conference realignment has more to do markets than on-field product. I mean, the B1G thought they were getting the NYC & DC markets when they invited Rutgers and Maryland. Neither team got an invite based on their football success. Let's not even start a conversation about academic prowess. If conferences truly cared about athletic acumen, why does nobody care that UConn has won four...FOUR!!!...NCAA National Championships in the last 387 days? No, its about Markets. If we can convince the Big-12 that we can deliver the NYC, Hartford/New Haven and New England (Boston) markets then we have a chance.

Reaction Score
This expansion is ridiculous. We keep treating this matter financially but fact is nobody, I mean nobody but UConn fans buy in on UConn Football at the the FBS level. Let's build some success. We should a kept building on it before but there were too many 'know it alls' that got in the way, so it wasn't just Hathaway's fault. We probably should've kept getting consulting opinions from Burton. Dead issue now unfortunately. Time to get back on track going fwd. Shut the naysayers up like we did not so long ago. (Ask ND, ask South Carolina before that). And for Christ sakes we needed to get a clue on offense. If we're only good on D nobody will want us, plain and simple

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There is a direct correlation between offensive play and record improvement. I will try to find it. I remember seeing some stats while watching a game a few weeks ago.

Cummings must go.

Reaction Score
There is a direct correlation between offensive play and record improvement. I will try to find it. I remember seeing some stats while watching a game a few weeks ago.

Cummings must go.

I'm willing to give Cummings another year before I start making that call, but that's my personal opinion. They've been severely short handed at the quarterback position all season since Cochran went down, and it'd be interesting to see how they might utilize some of these incoming freshmen receivers. If they can't get the ball moving with "their own" personnel as far as Shirreffs and other recruits, then it's time to can him and move on. For right now, they still have the "blame PP" card available from at least another year.

Reaction Score
Seriously. Enough with the CR crap.

We just lost to SMU.

We are 2-10. There is NO conference coming for us. We need to fix UConn football before anybody else wants in. STOP BLAMING OUR CRAP CONFERENCE. The

This team is broken. It needs fixing. Let's worry about that and not about what conference we're at the bottom of.
No conference cares about our record in football. They care about TV ratings and market shares (does anyone believe that the Big 10 wanted Rutgers because of the greatness of their sports programs or because taking them would force the NY cable company's to carry the Big 10 Network). Uconn will be looked at because Hartford Springfield New Haven TV market is top 25, and Uconn does draw well in the NY city market. The one major strike against us is the size of the stadium. Your going to say we can't fill up the Rent now why would we expand to 60,000. The answer lies in the opponents. Using either the Big 12 or Big 10 as examples if Ohio St, Mich St, Texas, Oklahoma, or most of the teams came here people would come. Those fans travel to watch their teams and we would come out to see them. SMU, Tulane, Temple, Houston, ect are not draws and their fan bases to not travel the same way the big schools do. Being in a F5 conference would increase our recruiting power by default. We may not be playing for conference titles and championships in football (did anyone ever think we could compete against the Ohio St or Texas?) but we would be competitive. Teams like KY, IN, MN, Vandy do OK in football but use the conference status to achieve greatness within the entire athletic program.

Reaction Score
I believe that football conference realignment has more to do markets than on-field product. I mean, the B1G thought they were getting the NYC & DC markets when they invited Rutgers and Maryland. Neither team got an invite based on their football success. Let's not even start a conversation about academic prowess. If conferences truly cared about athletic acumen, why does nobody care that UConn has won four...FOUR!!!...NCAA National Championships in the last 387 days? No, its about Markets. If we can convince the Big-12 that we can deliver the NYC, Hartford/New Haven and New England (Boston) markets then we have a chance.

Except they cant prove that. UCFB delivers hartford. thats it. and hartford isnt causing the b12, b10 or acc to expand

Reaction Score
Except they cant prove that. UCFB delivers hartford. thats it. and hartford isnt causing the b12, b10 or acc to expand
I get it Jim, you've never been a salesman, you're too smart. Your conscience gets in the way of you selling a product you don't really believe in. Well, UCONN needs a salesman here, not intelligence. They don't have to be the BEST candidate, just a better candidate than Cincinnati or Memphis. I believe it was H.L. Mencken who said "Nobody ever got into a P5 conference by underestimating the intelligence of the conference commissioners", or something like that. This a class of people who thought they were getting Boston by getting BCU, thought they were getting NYC by getting Rutgers. They're not too bright...and they're in Texas, they don't understand the east coast so let's help them understand and control the conversation at the same time.

Here are some selling points:
  • We already have a cable deal out of NYC
  • We are in the 30th largest market in the US
  • We owned NYC last March for the MBB tourney
  • We owned Yankee Stadium this fall V. Army
  • We provide access to NYC
  • But wait, there's more...
  • We have 3 NCAA championships this year (4 in the last 387 days!)
  • We are better acedemically
  • We travel as well
  • ... and so much more!
Lastly, what exactly is Cincinnati or Memphis selling? ease of travel...what else?

With TCU getting stiffed because of the lack of a conference championship, you can bet the Big-12 will add two teams by the end of this month....I hope somebody at UCONN is monitoring the situation.

Reaction Score
With TCU getting stiffed because of the lack of a conference championship, you can bet the Big-12 will add two teams by the end of this month....I hope somebody at UCONN is monitoring the situation.

TCU got "stiffed" because they blew a 21 point 4th quarter lead at Baylor not because of a lack of a CCG.

Reaction Score
I get it Jim, you've never been a salesman, you're too smart. Your conscience gets in the way of you selling a product you don't really believe in. Well, UCONN needs a salesman here, not intelligence. They don't have to be the BEST candidate, just a better candidate than Cincinnati or Memphis. I believe it was H.L. Mencken who said "Nobody ever got into a P5 conference by underestimating the intelligence of the conference commissioners", or something like that. This a class of people who thought they were getting Boston by getting BCU, thought they were getting NYC by getting Rutgers. They're not too bright...and they're in Texas, they don't understand the east coast so let's help them understand and control the conversation at the same time.

• We travel as well
  • ... and so much more!
Lastly, what exactly is Cincinnati or Memphis selling? ease of travel...what else?

I just wanted to point out, in this long post, the only thing you spelled wrong was academically. Haha!

Reaction Score

• We travel as well
  • ... and so much more!

I like the way you think. Susan and Warde have to sell this east coast access, our championship past and our FB potential. Again give UConn 5 years in a major conference and we will surpass BCU, Cuse, and RU as the main force in greater NE.

The Big 12 doesn't need any help in FB, they need 2 warm bodies to establish a CCG. UConn's potential dwafts our competition and our initial D1 experience in CFB shows that. Yes the PP experiement (including this year0 was dismal) but the pitch has to be markets, championship competitiveness in several sports, strong supported state school, and academics. If the ACC could choke on UL when they strongly dissed WVU (and believe me the UL story will turn south soon) then anything is possible.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Fertile recruiting grounds. Honestly, this is one of the biggest reasons, besides our current football situation which can easily change like Memphis did, that will hurt UConn when looking for us to join a conference that is a stretch like the Big 12. There's really ZERO reason for them to want us to join. NONE.

Reaction Score

• We travel as well
  • ... and so much more!

These are all great points. You should email Warde and Susan these points. We should all email Warde and Susan about pitching UConn to the Big Xll

Reaction Score
Here are some selling points: [LIST said:
[*]We already have a cable deal out of NYC
[*]We are in the 30th largest market in the US
[*]We owned NYC last March for the MBB tourney BIG DEAL ITS A TRAIN RIDE
[*]We owned Yankee Stadium this fall V. Army LOST GAME,ITS A TRAIN RIDE, AND ENTIRE GAME ONLY DREW 27K SO OBV DIDNT OWN ANYTHING
[*]We provide access to NYC NO NOT REALLY, HARTFORD BUT NOT NY
[*]But wait, there's more...
[*]We have 3 NCAA championships this year (4 in the last 387 days!) NONE MATTER SINCE THEY WERENT IN FB
[*]We are better acedemically ACC/LOUISVILLE PROVED THAT DOESNT MATTER ANYMORE
[*]We travel as well WHERE TO A GAME AN HOUR AWAY AT YANKEE STADIUM ? NOPE
[*]... and so much more!
[/LIST]
Lastly, what exactly is Cincinnati or Memphis selling? ease of travel...what else? BETTER FOOTBALL PRODUCT, THE SPORT THAT MATTERS

I agree they will be looking to expand, but there will be 7+ teams they look into before even considering ucon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom