2. Jalen heaves it, .8 seconds
3. Luke hits the thermal exhaust port
4. Kemba's ankle-breaker
5. Ray Allen's off-balance jumper wins BE tourney

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You beat me by a few seconds.

Considering the difficulty of the shot, the consequence of missing the shot and where UConn as a program was in the national landscape.

1. Tate "The Shot". UConn's first foray in to the national spotlight. Shot puts UConn in to epic Elite 8 battle against Duke.

2. Rip's put back against Washington. Got UConn to Elite Eight against Carolina. Spring board for next season's Championship.

3. Jalen's F-Bomb. Season had a good chance of being over. Sticks it to a nemesis to boot.

4. Ray Ray over Iverson. Too cool. Two Hall of Famers going at in college in the garden.

5. Cardiac Kemba breaks an ankle. Let the world know UConn's 2011 team doesn't lose in tournaments.

6. Rashad Bombs UW. The second UConn buzzer shot against Washington. They must hate UConn.

Reaction Score
As awesome as the shot was...gotta make it mean even more and win this whole damn thing.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Not fancy, but without Amida's 3-point play we don't have #4.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ray's shot is too high on this list, imo. While cool, it had little if any real time impact. Weren't we a 1 seed even if he missed? The shots that kept us from going home hold more sway for me.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Ray's shot is too high on this list, imo. While cool, it had little if any real time impact. Weren't we a 1 seed even if he missed? The shots that kept us from going home hold more sway for me.

Well, at the time, we really needed a BET title. We'd failed to close the deal for a number of seasons despite our regular season success. You could argue that the 1996 BET title moved us to the top of the BE, where we stayed until the league disintegrated.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

#5 is about right. You're right in that it wasn't a season ender.

Look back at it though. UConn had zero titles and zero FF's at that time. That shot and win was UConn 3-4 most significant wins all-time at that point in time. G'town was still known as a national power and had a POY candidate in Iverson.

It had some heavy context at the time and the degree of difficulty was off the charts.

Also, Mick Cronin was quoted after the game as saying Ray's foot hit the ground before he released the ball.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
BTW, I love that this shot is making us reminisce about all the amazing moments this program has had over the past 25 years. What an incredible run.

I mean, @8893, when you applied in 1987, could you ever have expected this???

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Look back at it though. UConn had zero titles and zero FF's at that time. That shot and win was UConn 3-4 most significant wins all-time at that point in time.
Excellent point, I'm sold.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Ray's shot is too high on this list, imo. While cool, it had little if any real time impact. Weren't we a 1 seed even if he missed?
Yes, but it had a huge effect on the entire state of the program and was the final rung on the ladder up to the top of the conference. The baton was passed with that shot (and a championship was won).

To me, that's No. 2 or 3 all-time, depending on the argument you can make about Rip's shot vs. UW.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
On a straight coolness of the shot for gifs.........

"Cash" Adams
Cardiac Kemba
The Shot

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I mean, @8893, when you applied in 1987, could you ever have expected this???
I applied in '83--undergrad class of '88. But no. We're so ridiculously fortunate to have what we have. I remember exactly where I was for each one of these, and now I will forever remember that I was at my friggin' accountant's office for my annual tax appointment, listening on a staticy stereo radio that was at least 30 years old, with such bad reception that I spent all 4 OTs standing and adjusting the wire antenna literally every minute.

More to the lore that is one of the best things ever about my life.

ETA: Funny after all these years I never thought of the 8893 being construed that way, yet it's so obviously there. In any event, law school class of '93.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I applied in '83--undergrad class of '88. But no. We're so ridiculously fortunate to have what we have. I remember exactly where I was for each one of these, and now I will forever remember that I was at my friggin' accountant's office for my annual tax appointment, listening on a staticy stereo radio that was at least 30 years old, with such bad reception that I spent all 4 OTs standing and adjusting the wire antenna literally every minute.

More to the lore that is one of the best things ever about my life.

Yeah I've had a few. And math was never my strong suit.

I'm a little younger but I had the same experience. Listening to WTIC and reading the Register for insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom