Best Point Guard in College Basketball? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Point Guard in College Basketball?

Reaction Score
Probably the 3 point line, isn't she like, 27% from there?
But like my reply stated, if the focus is on the 3 point line I get it, but outside shooting typically refers to outside of the key/paint. Once you take her 3 pt FG% out of the equation, she's shooting over 50%. So how bad is her outside shooting in reality?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Bueckers and Harmon won't be playing each other sadly, I would've wanted that.

Should we be fully healthy by the time ND UCONN comes up, this match will be incredibly tight. We've both got new recruits that are essential to the team (Karlen/King in Westbeld's absence, and Koval for ND; for us, Jana and Sarah as our primary FC). Our guard play is near equal, though we have more sharpshooters this season with Allie and Azzi coming back, and even Sarah as a strong 3 Ball.

It'll be a fun matchup for sure.
Ah, I knew ND was playing both Texas and UConn, but didn't know the Longhorns and UConn weren't matching up this year.

Have no idea when Maddy Westbeld is coming back, which will take one three-point shooter away from the Irish. However, Emma Risch is coming back off the injury list and she'll join Soni Citron on that front. Not to venture away from a guard-centric thread, but seeing how Kate Koval and Jana match up against each other will be fascinating, as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kinda wild the number of people who needed the unspoken “your answer should actually play point guard” to be spoken.

Reaction Score
I’d say Harmon. PB doesn’t play that position primarily anymore. Harmon was racking up 6-7 AST a game plus high point totals.

Reaction Score
Oh, I see. Now that we’re restricted to people who actually play the position, then I’m likely to apply my usual standard: namely resemblance to the game of Moriah Jefferson. Someone who scores distributes rebounds and plays suffocating defense all wrapped up in a super speedy package. Naturally, this points to Hannah Hidalgo most of all.

Sorry, Rori, but good as you are, she’s got a step on you now. You’re number two these days. Also, though your loss was devastating to Texas the previous year, last season Booker did a pretty good job of taking over your position. I guess we’re going to see something similar with Miles and Hannah this season.

In my view, no one from SC or even USC and certainly not UCLA cracks the top three in this category.

• Not Raven: defends very well but not in the same league as Hannah for scoring
  • Not Milaysia: scores really well but not the defender either Hannah or Raven is
  • Not Rice: good all around scorer and defender but not as heady a floor general as Hannah Rori or Raven
  • Not Von Oelhofen: lesser in all categories

What’s that, I didn’t name a third greatest PG? For me it’s a dark horse candidate. Lucy Olsen. She’s not a freshman phenom, but worked at her game at Villanova and has developed the full package: scoring defense rebounding passing. I’m very curious to see what she brings to Iowa this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh, I see. Now that we’re restricted to people who actually play the position, then I’m likely to apply my usual standard: namely resemblance to the game of Moriah Jefferson. Someone who scores distributes rebounds and plays suffocating defense all wrapped up in a super speedy package. Naturally, this points to Hannah Hidalgo most of all.

Sorry, Rori, but good as you are, she’s got a step on you these days. You’re number two these days. Also, though your loss was devastating to Texas the previous year, last season Booker did a pretty good job of taking over your position. I guess we’re going to see something similar with Miles and Hannah this season.
This is not meant to offend you in anyway, just a slight disagreement in viewpoint. Would love to hear your side.

Harmon’s defense is suffocating like Hannah. Absolutely smoked UCONN's best player.

Harmon has high AST totals and Rebound totals every game, plus 15-20 points to go along with it. (14.1 PTS, 5.6 REB, 7.8 AST) Plus 52% FG.

Hannah had 5.5 AST. 22.2 PTS. 6.6 REB. Pretty close if you compare them. The one thing she doesn’t have is over 50% from the field. She went 44%.

Harmon is also incredibly speedy. She chased PB up, down, left, right all over the court and wouldn’t let her do anything.

I don’t know if I agree fully on Hidalgo having a leg up on Rori. Rori was hampered by injury and still kicked ahh upon coming back, albeit only for a bit. But I understand your perspective. For me, I would want Harmon because of the better passing skills. The lesser points doesn't bother me as much. A team is useless without a good distributing PG. Hence why I'd take Rori over Hannah, because she's better at that certain role.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is not meant to offend you in anyway, just a slight disagreement in viewpoint. Would love to hear your side.

Harmon’s defense is suffocating like Hannah. Absolutely smoked UCONN's best player.

Harmon has high AST totals and Rebound totals every game, plus 15-20 points to go along with it. (14.1 PTS, 5.6 REB, 7.8 AST) Plus 52% FG.

Hannah had 5.5 AST. 22.2 PTS. 6.6 REB. Pretty close if you compare them. The one thing she doesn’t have is over 50% from the field. She went 44%.

Harmon is also incredibly speedy. She chased PB up, down, left, right all over the court and wouldn’t let her do anything.

I don’t know if I agree fully on Hidalgo having a leg up on Rori. Rori was hampered by injury and still kicked ahh upon coming back, albeit only for a bit. But I understand your perspective. For me, I would want Harmon because of the better passing skills. The lesser points doesn't bother me as much. A team is useless without a good distributing PG. Hence why I'd take Rori over Hannah, because she's better at that certain role.
You make a good case. Another issue is handling bigger guards. Rori did well against Paige. Hannah floundered against NC St's guards. If only there could be a head to head matchup, Rori v Hannah. Wouldn't that be something.

Reaction Score
You make a good case. Another issue is handling bigger guards. Rori did well against Paige. Hannah floundered against NC St's guards. If only there could be a head to head matchup, Rori v Hannah. Wouldn't that be something.
Need that, yes.

Reaction Score
Need that, yes.
Prayer GIF

Your words to the SEC/ACC Challenge schedulers to see this happen next season.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Ah, I knew ND was playing both Texas and UConn, but didn't know the Longhorns and UConn weren't matching up this year.

Have no idea when Maddy Westbeld is coming back, which will take one three-point shooter away from the Irish. However, Emma Risch is coming back off the injury list and she'll join Soni Citron on that front. Not to venture away from a guard-centric thread, but seeing how Kate Koval and Jana match up against each other will be fascinating, as well.
Maddy is hurt?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Maddy is hurt?
Grad. Student and starting power forward, 6'3" Maddy Westbeld sent out a low-key instagram post last week saying she took the time to take care a nagging foot issue. Turns out she had surgery two weeks prior to that. She fully expects to be back for the bulk of the season but no timetable was set.

Maddy is kind of the rock of this current ND program, so we Benchers are waiting to hear some news on when (start of ACC schedule?) she'll be back.
In the meantime, thank the Lady on top of the Golden Dome that Liza Karlen and Liatu King are here this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She sent out a low-key instagram post last week saying she took the time to take care a nagging foot issue. Turns out she had surgery two weeks prior to that. She fully expects to be back for the bulk of the season but no timetable was set.

Maddy is kind of the rock of this program, so we're waiting to hear some news on when (start of ACC schedule?) she'll be back.
In the meantime, thank the Lady on top of the Golden Dome that Liza Karlen and Liatu King are here this year.
Wishing Maddy well. She is the rock, has been for a few years now.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Wishing Maddy well. She is the rock, has been for a few years now.
Thanks...
We Domers treasure the Westbeld sisters, Kat and Maddy.
(Wish there more coming up, but alas that's it for sisters. :(;))

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Grad. Student and starting power forward, 6'3" Maddy Westbeld sent out a low-key instagram post last week saying she took the time to take care a nagging foot issue. Turns out she had surgery two weeks prior to that. She fully expects to be back for the bulk of the season but no timetable was set.

Maddy is kind of the rock of this current ND program, so we Benchers are waiting to hear some news on when (start of ACC schedule?) she'll be back.
Thanks. Maddy is a very likeable player. Somewhere (on YouTube probably) recently I saw a blurb predicting success for her in the W. I predict she will make a solid pro.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom