Best Point Guard in College Basketball? | The Boneyard

Best Point Guard in College Basketball?

Reaction Score
A debate on Twitter/X got me curios what this subs thoughts were: Who is the best PG in college basketball this season?

Seems like Hannah Hildago, Olivia Miles, Georgia Amoore, Rori Harmon Raven Johnson seems to be the top 4 picks right now but curious what peoples thoughts are? Who is the best PG going into this season? Do you expect any dark horses to take over the crown? Maybe a transfer like Talia Von Oelhoffen or Kaitlyn Chen could break out?

Personally I think i have to go with Olivia or Rori but they are both coming off of injuries so its hard to say for sure.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
We’ll have to see how Harmon and Miles come back from their injuries/missed seasons. (And how Hidalgo and Miles mesh.) If Harmon and Miles both come back strong, they’d be the top two for me.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
We’ll have to see how Harmon and Miles come back from their injuries/missed seasons. (And how Hidalgo and Miles mesh.) If Harmon and Miles both come back strong, they’d be the top two for me.
Pretty much agree with you.
Miles has been working out with the Irish since the tail end of the '23-'24 season and apparently is firing on all cylinders (according to her chief running and b-ball soul mate, Sonia Citron). Still, I'll refrain from hitting the "win" button until I see a few games. I really don't have many doubts about how Miles and Hidalgo will work. Lots of hoop intelligence there and want to win.

Ditto for Harmon.

Paige, of course, is a wonderful field general, but I'm not certain she's solely a PG anymore.

Reaction Score
Geno has been using Paige as a small forward for much of the game otherwise she would be a prime candidate for any guard position.

Reaction Score
I'm not as high on Miles as everyone else. Prior to her injury she was a poor three point shooter and not a very efficient scorer. She is a good player who has a frame to make it at the next level but there are many other points guards who are more technically skilled and better facilitators / game managers. She probably would be barely on the outside of my top 5. Bueckers has the best resume but I think Harmon, if she returns back to form, could be considered the #1 pure PG this next season. She was starting to enter the NPOY conversation right when she was injured.

Reaction Score
I'm not as high on Miles as everyone else. Prior to her injury she was a poor three point shooter and not a very efficient scorer. She is a good player who has a frame to make it at the next level but there are many other points guards who are more technically skilled and better facilitators / game managers. She probably would be barely on the outside of my top 5. Bueckers has the best resume but I think Harmon, if she returns back to form, could be considered the #1 pure PG this next season. She was starting to enter the NPOY conversation right when she was injured.
I hate Notre Dame but can't think of a better facilitator or game manager in the country than Miles. Truly elite elite at that aspect of the game. Her shooting is quite bad, she said in a interview recently she's spent the last 18 months of rehab trying to improve that though so interested to see how she looks.

Reaction Score
I hate Notre Dame but can't think of a better facilitator or game manager in the country than Miles. Truly elite elite at that aspect of the game. Her shooting is quite bad, she said in a interview recently she's spent the last 18 months of rehab trying to improve that though so interested to see how she looks.
My memory must be rusty. I remember her being a fairly average game manager.

Reaction Score
1000004136.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm high on Olivia, obviously as an ND fan. Her 3 point shooting is poor and she isn't the most efficient scorer. But I'd say she is a great manager and the best passer in the country. Her handles are also elite. Defense is also good, but her rebounding for a PG is elite. Can start the fast break herself.

I think her game translates well into the pros. She has pro moves in the mid range, and is creative finishing in the lane. I thought she'd force a lot of shots. Maybe now that she has Hannah she can tighten up her shot selection. And of course if her 3pt % improves then that would be great. I think she's definitely a top 3 PG.

Paige is the top PG prospect for the W. If she plays the PG in college or not.

Reaction Score
If I was a wnba team. I would be nervous about miles because of her outside shooting.

Reaction Score
Paige, without a doubt, not even close. But that doesn't mean PG is her best position for this season, given the roster.

Reaction Score
A debate on Twitter/X got me curios what this subs thoughts were: Who is the best PG in college basketball this season?

Seems like Hannah Hildago, Olivia Miles, Georgia Amoore, Rori Harmon Raven Johnson seems to be the top 4 picks right now but curious what peoples thoughts are? Who is the best PG going into this season? Do you expect any dark horses to take over the crown? Maybe a transfer like Talia Von Oelhoffen or Kaitlyn Chen could break out?

Personally I think i have to go with Olivia or Rori but they are both coming off of injuries so its hard to say for sure.
Hannah is incredible.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Top of the Friday Morning to you all. I was busy over on the Bench yesterday updating ND's recruiting pages to reflect changes in rankings which is nothing but time-consuming. In regards to the recent give and take on Olivia Miles, I've watched every game of her ND career and can address a few comments/concerns.
  • Yes, her achilles heel up to this point has been her 3-pt. shooting. This has been a point of emphasis during her rehab period. People can improve their outside shooting (see Young, Jackie).
  • Her two-pt. shooting, however, is (more than) solid, averaging 54% the last two full seasons. Her eFG% is a tinge under 50%.
Like Hidalgo, the strength of her scoring is in the open court and her ability to get to the basket, but she can do so with either hand. Her mid-range pull-up jumper has also improved.
  • What all ND fans are excited about is her in-game management: averaging more than 7 assists per game the last two seasons will do that. She's relatively tall, keeps her head up and can deliver passes adeptly in full- and half-court. Technically skilled.
  • Very good rebounder, period, particularly for a point guard. As noted, she starts her own fast breaks.
  • And she's a solid defender who averaged more than 2 steals per game her last season. Miles, Hidalgo and Citron will be a nightmare for opposing backcourts.

As noted in other posts, reports on her rehabilitation are excellent. Still, I want to see her in real-game situation -- same as Harmon -- this fall.

What is great is Bueckers, Harmon and Miles will also be facing each other this year, so that will be fun. The match-ups might not be against each other (Citron tends to cover Bueckers due to Citron's length), but they'll all be on the floor.

Should be fun!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I was a wnba team. I would be nervous about miles because of her outside shooting.
Define outside shooting. If from the 3 point line, I get that, but she's averaging 45% FG when 2 and 3 point shots are combined.

Reaction Score
Define outside shooting. If from the 3 point line, I get that, but she's averaging 45% FG when 2 and 3 point shots are combined.
Probably the 3 point line, isn't she like, 27% from there?

Reaction Score
What is great is Bueckers, Harmon and Miles will also be facing each other this year, so that will be fun. The match-ups might not be against each other (Citron tends to cover Bueckers due to Citron's length), but they'll all be on the floor.

Should be fun!
Bueckers and Harmon won't be playing each other sadly, I would've wanted that.

Should we be fully healthy by the time ND UCONN comes up, this match will be incredibly tight. We've both got new recruits that are essential to the team (Karlen/King in Westbeld's absence, and Koval for ND; for us, Jana and Sarah as our primary FC). Our guard play is near equal, though we have more sharpshooters this season with Allie and Azzi coming back, and even Sarah as a strong 3 Ball.

It'll be a fun matchup for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom