• Tristen Newton

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Donovan Clingan

Votes: 83 23.7%
  • Other - specify below

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
With the way Hawkins has been playing he has solidified himself as one of the best “pickups” (i.e. recruit or transfer) of the Hurley era. I’m also factoring in who may have the best long term NBA potential. Who has your vote?

Reaction Score
Can’t answer it because I think “best” has to almost be categorized

Akok was the first big time recruit, where we had stiff competition and won it.
Bouk was prob the best as it relates to natural talent/being a lotto pick which gave us credibility and squashed the narrative that he couldn’t get guys into the NBA
Tyrese development was prob best for this new transfer era, pointing toward development and getting to the nba
Adama is prob the best college player out of them all start to finish
Castle is prob the best as it relates to credibility with 5 star kids, and expanding into a national recruiting school again.

That being said, I think Hawk is the best/most important player on the team this year

Reaction Score
I think to date Bouk is the most important . He came in highly rated and had success immediately.
His exciting play and subsequent draft attracted guys like , Jackson and Hawkins. Hawkins is a great player /shooter but I’m not even sure this is his team , he is for now a big piece.
I think it’s unfair to have Clingan or who may , after next year , be his highest draft pick. but for now he is WIP as is Karaban if either carry the team to post season success in the future their stock will rise .

Reaction Score
I voted for Hawk, but I think it's absolute blasphemy that no one's voted for AJ so far. He'd be my second choice.

People consistently overlook/underrate how much he does for this team. His entry into the program marked the start of the turnaround for the program.

Reaction Score
Three reasons it's Hawkins.
1. His lightning quick release while shooting with accuracy and NBA range.
2. He's a lot more athletic than I expected, and his body will eventually add more muscle.
3. Last year he had no handle; this year it's much better. Next year will continue to improve.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I went with Clingan for a few reasons. First, he's an in-state kid, and protecting your border is very important. Second, he's got probably the highest ceiling at the college level of anyone from that list. And finally, he's got a good chance to be an impact player at the NBA level, and we haven't had anyone come out and be a good regular NBA player since probably Kemba (please tell me if I'm missing anyone).

Jordan is a close second because I expect Clingan to have a bigger impact at the collegiate level, which I also weight more in this exercise.

Reaction Score
I voted for Hawk, but I think it's absolute blasphemy that no one's voted for AJ so far. He'd be my second choice.

People consistently overlook/underrate how much he does for this team. His entry into the program marked the start of the turnaround for the program.

Watch this vid about Dennis Rodman and ask yourself if AJ could become that type of player.

Reaction Score
I'm frankly a bit surprised by the number of votes for Bouk. On the one hand, he did bring us out of sucking and he was a lotto pick. On the other hand, he never performed well in a big game, didn't get any tourney wins, and hasn't been a good representative of the university both during and since his time as a husky

Reaction Score
Watch this vid about Dennis Rodman and ask yourself if AJ could become that type of player.

Absolutely, the young Rodman was a lot like AJ and then he filled out.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Before Adama we had a hard time recruiting ranked bigs after AD left. I feel Sanogo is underrated and taken for granted here on the BY. But I understand the votes for Bouk and Hawk.
Given how Brad Underwood swooped in and outmaneuvered Hurley for Kofi Cockburn, Sanogo was a super solid response, not only out maneuvering Seton Hall but also securing his reclassification, so that there was a quality big a year earlier.

The book is still out on Johnson, but it's still worth noting that he was a Sanogo teammate at the Patrick School.

Reaction Score
I voted for Jackson. Not to be contrarian (maybe a little) but because I think he has put this team over the top. He's that Shane victorino guy. That scott Brosius. I don't think we have the success without him. Plus, I fully believe he will be the difference in the tourney. He is the guy that other teams say "I Hate that guy" and that guy is always the guy you wish you had. Now we do. (Hawkins and Sanogo are huge as well obviously)

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I started a similar thread earlier this year. Realized later it was not a fair question. This one is more straight forward. Taking nothing away from Sanogo or AJ who just may find a role at the next level. My answer is Hawkins. I think before he finishes his career and if he stays healthy he will challenge Allen for best nba career for a former UConn player. I think he is going to be special. Did you see Dame hang a 70 the other night. I really think Hawk is going to be in that category at the next level.

• Wow
Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
Hawkins is a great answer as well as Sanogo.
Bouknight is the most talented guy we've had under Hurley. His situation is very sad but his talent was undeniable.

At the time, Akok Akok was also a great pickup.

Reaction Score
This is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I voted Bouknight, because despite his issues since he went to the NBA, he was the leader of the team that got us back to the tournament, and was our NBA lottery pick to show recruits that you can go to UConn, be a star, and get to the NBA as an underclassman.

Depending where Hawkins lands in the draft AND how he does in the NBA could move him above Bouknight. Hawkins’ game is more favorable for the NBA game than Bouknight’s was, and of course it will help for a UConn player to succeed in the league again.

I also can’t be mad if anybody picked Sanogo, because he’s been a solid rock for consecutive nationally ranked teams and was very important keeping us in the spotlight the last two years

If all goes according to plan, Stephon Castle should lead this list soon. It would be amazing if we could have a guy outside of the northeast come to UConn and find himself in the NBA after 1 year. Recruiting will have a very long term benefit if we can get guys from around the country onto UConn and into the league. Castle and Stewart will be leading that charge next year, but obviously Castle is the more prized recruit at the moment

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

AJ had that one rebound in the first half where he seemed like he was a foot above everyone else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom