Best performance by a UConn QB in 10 years? | The Boneyard

Best performance by a UConn QB in 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It was great and it's obvious he and the WR's mesh.

He has a huge clubhouse lead going in to next season.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
He looks really good and in command. He shows great leadership ability.

Reaction Score
Doesnt panic with the rush in his face. He slides up in the pocket and finds a throwing lane. Gritty kid.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Let's calm down. He looked good, much more comfortable than he has, but it's RU. Not to mention he had more time to throw than any QB has had this season today. He's a viable option for next season, and 2 wins beats no wins, but that's as far as I'll go.

All three need to get better and the improvement to the line will have more to say about next season than which QB starts.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This is why you try out QBs in actual game situations. Palatine called for giving Cochran a shot and some on here talked about how bad Cochran was in the spring game and that he wasn't a FBS QB. While he may have looked crappy in that "game"....it still made sense to give a guy who has already used his redshirt..a guy who had been well thought of out of HS...a shot at playing.

I am not saying he is the best QB...or future QB...but he definitely deserved a chance to play before they burned Boyle's redshirt. I am sure those who said he didn't deserve a shot will post a "maybe I was wrong" on here.

Right....lol.

Reaction Score
Quick decision making and ability to not panic under pressure are the intangibles that for whatever reason never seem to be discovered practice, only in actual games. This was an outstanding performance, and more than once he threaded the ball into his receiver. I would never advocate throwing into triple coverage like Casey did, but at least in this instance it worked. Hard to think of any UCONN QB since Orslovky that could have connected like that.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Let's calm down. He looked good, much more comfortable than he has, but it's RU. Not to mention he had more time to throw than any QB has had this season today. He's a viable option for next season, and 2 wins beats no wins, but that's as far as I'll go.

All three need to get better and the improvement to the line will have more to say about next season than which QB starts.

By "calm down", does that mean you dont agree that this was the best single game by a UConn qb in many many years? Forget the opponent and look at those numbers.

Reaction Score
SubbaBub said:
Let's calm down. He looked good, much more comfortable than he has, but it's RU. Not to mention he had more time to throw than any QB has had this season today. He's a viable option for next season, and 2 wins beats no wins, but that's as far as I'll go. All three need to get better and the improvement to the line will have more to say about next season than which QB starts.

Eh. that. He's a baller. Has been since he first took a snap.

Reaction Score
Well UCONN is 0-8 without Casey and 2-1 with him. Even though he has not faced a good team, I think that says a lot.

Reaction Score
SubbaBub said:
Let's calm down. He looked good, much more comfortable than he has, but it's RU. Not to mention he had more time to throw than any QB has had this season today. He's a viable option for next season, and 2 wins beats no wins, but that's as far as I'll go. All three need to get better and the improvement to the line will have more to say about next season than which QB starts.

Eh, that. He has done nothing but sack up since he took his first snap.

Reaction Score
Well UCONN is 0-8 without Casey and 2-1 with him. Even though he has not faced a good team, I think that says a lot.

Makes me feel a lot better after losing Michal Nebrick to Fordham. I am happy for Casey and the team. It should be a lively crowd vs. Memphis!

Reaction Score
Makes me feel a lot better after losing Michal Nebrick to Fordham. I am happy for Casey and the team. It should be a lively crowd vs. Memphis!

Thank God Weist gave Casey a chance or we may have lost Casey just like we lost Nebrich. Casey is going to be nearly impossible to beat next year, he's like having a coach on the field. Casey will be a sophomore Captain, he 's got Tim Tebow leadership charisma.

Burning Boyle's redshirt no longer matters because he can redshirt next year.

Bravo Casey! That was an outstanding performance.

Reaction Score
Casey shows, intelligence, command and poise. I believe that's called leadership!

He made good decisions and threw for over 300 yards with NO PICS. He played with poise showing what he learned in the 18 years as the Son of a coach and he is a gamer.

Reaction Score
Very happy for Casey, but no one knows who will be the coach next year and what type of system will be in place. The offense could be very different and may not suit Casey's skill set. Who knows? For the time being, give the guy his due.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
CC has shown the most improvement, game to game when compared to Boyle. It doesn't matter what team he plays against. His passes were on the money all day.

He seemed to throw them where only the WR could catch it and they weren't all over the place. Of course he has had the benefit of an improved OL, but none the less, he would have to regress to lose his spot and I don't see that.

I think he runs with it and we will see more improvement from him. Our WR corp next year should be impressive as our young guys are getting good PT and they are making plays. OL is a big question mark next year.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
This is why you try out QBs in actual game situations. Palatine called for giving Cochran a shot and some on here talked about how bad Cochran was in the spring game and that he wasn't a FBS QB. While he may have looked crappy in that "game"....it still made sense to give a guy who has already used his redshirt..a guy who had been well thought of out of HS...a shot at playing.

I am not saying he is the best QB...or future QB...but he definitely deserved a chance to play before they burned Boyle's redshirt. I am sure those who said he didn't deserve a shot will post a "maybe I was wrong" on here.

Right....lol.

If Casey had started the same games that Boyle had started instead, do you think he would have done that much better? I think one could easily argue that if he gone to Casey after Whitmer we would have seen Boyle playing in this game and everyone would be singing his praises as the next Dan Orlovsky.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Boyle definitely faced tougher opposition. But..I have no idea if CC would have done better or worse. Hard to project. He does seem to not panic in the pocket as much as Whitmer or Boyle.

But..my point was that they should have tried CC before they burned the redshirt on Boyle. I know it looks like hindsight now, but I said that back in early September.

And NO ONE is saying he is the next Orlovsky. They said he has the best game since Orlovsky. Big difference there. Also..Endres had some great games also...so not even sure if that is accurate.

Reaction Score
pretty sure I agree with OP but BTT because of stupid LMcC post

Reaction Score
If Casey had started the same games that Boyle had started instead, do you think he would have done that much better? I think one could easily argue that if he gone to Casey after Whitmer we would have seen Boyle playing in this game and everyone would be singing his praises as the next Dan Orlovsky.

No.

Casey IS the reason the line looks improved. He's getting the ball out, and he's burning the Blitz so we are seeing less blitzing, plus Weist is on record saying Casey is making smart protection calls at the line.

Reaction Score
I don't agree. Casey makes better decisions, moves better in the pocket, and makes his reads and passes earlier and throws more accurately than Boyle. Boyle is still a real freshman and has a lot to learn and has not yet demonstrated the leadership qualities that Casey has. He may well do so in the future, but right now I think Casey is clearly the better quarterback. I think he should continue to start until and unless he demonstrates on the field that he is not the fine quarterback he appears to be.

Reaction Score
jbdphi said:

No. Casey is the most composed QB we have. Casey put up very big numbers today. Those aren't ho hum numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom