Best network for Uconn | The Boneyard

Best network for Uconn

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Which network is best for Uconn, or promoting Uconn? Is it SNY, FS1, CBSSN, ESPN? SNY is regional, our own network, so only a small part of the country get to see us on a consistent basis. FS1 is relatively new to women's basketball, using any announcers they can scavenge up to do their broadcasts. CBSSN is basically a mens basketball network, thus has the same recipe for finding announcers. The only network that has been promoting women's basketball for decades is ESPN. They have gone through about 3 sets of basketball announcers during that time, and in my estimation, they have all been very good, if not great. They know basketball, they know women's basketball, they have good knowledge of the coaches and players on both benches. Everybody in the country has ESPN on their TV device. They are not partial to anyone, but are quick to promote great teams and players. From Dave and Doris to Ryan and Rebecca, they bring excitement to women's basketball, and if we are playing, I can't wait to see it. Some BYers think they don't like Uconn, but I disagree. Maybe they are trying to be fair in their reporting, heck, even Andy Landers, an SEC guy gives Uconn props when we deserve it. They are the best for me.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If we are only talking about UConn WBB games, I prefer the "homer" network, SNY.
Are there any other schools that have their own "network" that broadcast their games and shows?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
If we are only talking about UConn WBB games, I prefer the "homer" network, SNY.
Are there any other schools that have their own "network" that broadcast their games and shows?
Texas owns the Longhorn Network, at least in part. Not sure of any others.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
SNY without a doubt.

When Fox is airing a game, we use FoxNow and guess who it really is. SNY!!!

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
SNY! ESPN announcers talk incessantly about everything but what's going on in the game. I miss Kara Lawson a lot. Espn desk reporters are fine. It's the court side people that need to understand what their job is.

Reaction Score
Which network is best for Uconn, or promoting Uconn? Is it SNY, FS1, CBSSN, ESPN? SNY is regional, our own network, so only a small part of the country get to see us on a consistent basis. FS1 is relatively new to women's basketball, using any announcers they can scavenge up to do their broadcasts. CBSSN is basically a mens basketball network, thus has the same recipe for finding announcers. The only network that has been promoting women's basketball for decades is ESPN. They have gone through about 3 sets of basketball announcers during that time, and in my estimation, they have all been very good, if not great. They know basketball, they know women's basketball, they have good knowledge of the coaches and players on both benches. Everybody in the country has ESPN on their TV device. They are not partial to anyone, but are quick to promote great teams and players. From Dave and Doris to Ryan and Rebecca, they bring excitement to women's basketball, and if we are playing, I can't wait to see it. Some BYers think they don't like Uconn, but I disagree. Maybe they are trying to be fair in their reporting, heck, even Andy Landers, an SEC guy gives Uconn props when we deserve it. They are the best for me.
Let’s not engage in hyperbole. ESPN is available in 86 million households, which is not close to being “everyone”. There are millions without pay TV; none of them have ESPN.

Reaction Score
Personally, I'd like Fox to find a way to reach an agreement with SNY to just directly show the SNY production on FS1 outside of the SNY region. I have been unimpressed with the Fox commentators and their productions. I have to think Fox will get better with women's BE productions now that they have seen the ratings UConn can draw.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
SNY! ESPN announcers talk incessantly about everything but what's going on in the game. I miss Kara Lawson a lot. Espn desk reporters are fine. It's the court side people that need to understand what their job is.
The best network for UConn wbb is one that EVERYONE in America can get without any hassle or jumping through hoops. That would be ESPN. Dave, Doris and Kara were my favorites, but THAT ship has sailed, never to return.

I also like Rebecca Lobo. She has a tinge of homerism, about her at times (and why not, that's HER team out there), but is fair and objective towards their opponents for the most part be it from the sidelines, or in the studio.

SNY has the pre and post game shows that the networks don't and will never have. I like the way Kara and Gary tee the game up for us, the put a bow on it at the end. So which is more important to YOU? You can't have both.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The best network for UCONN WBB is ESPN because UCONN WBB is a national brand that has out grown SNY and ESPN provides the best national stage for WCBB i.e the entire NCAA tournament. The best network for UCONN I was going to say the ACC network but when was the last time BC had something meaningful on the ACC network. Unfortunately Football is still king just look at Villanova MBB two titles recently and highly ranked in between but no network dying to scoop them up and put them on TV.

Reaction Score
Hands down the BEST EVER team of Broadcasters to ever cover UCONN Women's Basketball was the SNY Team of Eric Frede, Meghan Culmo, and Justine Ward. ESPN's team of Adam Amin, Rebecca Lobo and Kara Lawson was pretty good too. Some of the WORST commentators have been ESPN's Ryan Ruocco, Doris Burke, Beth Mowins, Debbie Antonelli, and of course "Mr. Stiff" Andy Landers.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
For me this is a tough one to answer here's why. ESPN has the quality overall game time delivery, catching the action, timely and on point replays and decent play by play. If on topic good half time show. SNY hampered by regional situation, by far the best pregame and post game I have seen, I love Lawson but she is on only 10% of the time during half time the rest is commercials. I am no longer able to get SNY so for now this is useless to me. Actual game broadcast is good, better than average play by play, actually pretty good. As for Fox network and CBS not in the running, limited exposure for me to consider them. Last before I pick unfortunately I am not thrilled with any of the color commentators, they all can't keep quiet and to often fail to realize it's TV and not radio, I don't need all the chatter.
My pick and it comes down to game broadcast only. ESPN. If I were able to receive SNY, the entire game package pre, game and post, hands down I would pick SNY.

Reaction Score
SNY. Fox was the worst. They didnt know the players. And the studio crew of 3 men who dont know anything about WBB was embarassing.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Hands down the BEST EVER team of Broadcasters to ever cover UCONN Women's Basketball was the SNY Team of Eric Frede, Meghan Culmo, and Justine Ward. ESPN's team of Adam Amin, Rebecca Lobo and Kara Lawson was pretty good too. Some of the WORST commentators have been ESPN's Ryan Ruocco, Doris Burke, Beth Mowins, Debbie Antonelli, and of course "Mr. Stiff" Andy Landers.
LOL, I was just listening to Eric Frede on the SEC network. Wow, I do miss him

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
SNY, hands down. We really have outstanding coverage with the pregame and post game and halftime shows in addition to two knowledgeable game commentators. You add to that the additional UConn content, the undefeated series, Geno’ s Legacy, etc. and you have a unique and well-made view into a college basketball team, men’s or women’s. The fact that it’s women’s basketball coverage is outstanding in my opinion in speaks to the unique product that Connecticut basketball actually is.

For those stumping for ESPN, keep in mind that that networks single-handedly gutted the Big East and delegated our athletic department to also ran status. We’ve done a lot to counter that, but without ESPN funding the raids on the Big East, they never happen. Keep that in mind the next time they ask for tax relief. We paid them millions of dollars (effectively) and they took millions of dollars more out of the mouths of Connecticut taxpayers. That should never be forgotten.

Reaction Score
My favorite, hands down, was SNY until they suddenly took down their games from Huskygames. It was their right of course. I wonder if the problem was the inclusion of the studio stuff recently. Those games can all still be found on the internet but it is much harder now. Do they offer their old broadcasts somewhere? if not I can't see the harm it might have done. I just wish I didn't stop my own archives. ESPN is an easy second as they carry tons of women's basketball every week. The others I am just thanksful for whenever they carry one of our games.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I really miss Dave O'Brien who was Doris Burke's old broadcast partner he was excellent at keeping you up with the action by giving you just enough specific information to comprehend. Dave really enhanced the broadcast and made Doris much more tolerable. Dave would tell you who took, if it was a make or miss, if miss how she missed in one short burst. Example: Tuck from deep, she front rimmed it, stokes with the rebound UCONN resets.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
My favorite broadcasting team was CPTV’s Mike Gorman and Megan Pattyson-Culmo. Unfortunately, Gorman only covered for 1-2 years while Culmo has staled with longevity in my view.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I am just glad I can watch the game. If the picture is fine, then I am too. I don't listen to the announcers. Anything I can't see, and need to know, will be available on sites like the BONEYARD, or in the newspapers.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
SNY, because they negotiated an agreement with FOX to show all their televised games on the FoxNow app outside of the regional braodcast. Where as if they had stayed in the AAC, the AAC and ESPN had negotiated that all the games that were shown on regional TV was to be broadcasted on ESPN+ outside of the regional area. This saved me from having to pay more to watch the Huskies. The only thing that I'm PO'd about SNY is their insistence on taking the games off of the BY.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom