Best Men's BB Coaches | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Men's BB Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's fair. But if we're listing the greatest coaches of all time, to leave him off is statistically indefensible. Now, if you want to put an asterisk next to his name - that makes sense.
He probably belongs to be in the conversation in the group listed, but I wouldn't have him in the top 10 personally. But it's borderline impossible to compare across eras in sports so it's tough

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hi All from Sarasota Fl.

To pass the time, some UCONN BB fans have tried to list (in order) the top 10 Men's BB coaches of all time.

We did reach a concensus on the first 5 - although as noted, we thought Dean Smith was vulnerable. We did debate the relative position of JC vs. Knight - but gave the nod to JC because of his 3 and half champtionships.

First Tier:

Wooden
Mike K.
Calhoun
Knight

Smith – might eventually drop out if someone below escalates – say if J Wright wins 2-3 more titles.

No such consensus on the next 5 - so we would love to get the Board's views. Note that the following were not necessarily listed in order - we just threw out the names we felt should get consideration - and I'm sure we probably forget one or two deserving others.

Candidates For Next Tier:

Izzo
Boheim
Calipari
Wright
Williams
Pitino
Donovan
Few
Huggins
Bennett
Thompson

Good list, but I think Lute Olson has to be in that next tier group.

Reaction Score
He probably belongs to be in the conversation in the group listed, but I wouldn't have him in the top 10 personally. But it's borderline impossible to compare across eras in sports so it's tough
Agree completely that comparing era is really difficult. That said, 876 wins and four titles is....876 wins and four titles. Only two other coaches can say they've done that.

Reaction Score
Tark the Shark. An interesting character, had a lot of W's, movie appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom