Best Jobs in AAC | The Boneyard

Best Jobs in AAC

Reaction Score
Courtesy Jeff Goodman...

American Athletic Conference Chain of Command: Best Jobs in the Conference - Stadium

UConn #1 overall (obviously)

1. UConn (96) – The Huskies have won national titles in 1999, 2004, 2011 and 2014, they have had a seemingly endless supply of NBA guys come through Gampel Pavilion, and the program ranks in the top four of the league in eight of the nine categories.

Where they win: Sure, the tradition the last four years has taken a hit, but it’s still UConn. Four national titles in the last two decades. No other program can say that. That gets them in the door with just about any top-100 recruit.

The knock: “Storrs, Connecticut. Have you ever been? It’s in the middle of nowhere. Makes it a little more difficult to close the deal with recruits.” – AAC head coach

Ranked on nine separate categories:

#1 in Tradition (The history of the program)​
#1 in Media Exposure (Games on national television)​
#3 in Game Atmosphere (Includes attendance)​
#2 - Cincinnati
#1 - Wichita State
#2 in Facilities (Not just the arena, but also practice facilities, weight room, locker rooms, etc.)​
#1 - Memphis
#1 in Selling Pros (Being able to sell not only NBA players, but also those who play overseas)​
#7 in Admission Requirements (Ranked from easiest to get into to most difficult)​
#8 - Cincinnati
#9 - Tulsa
#10 - Temple
#11 - SMU
#12 - Tulane
#1 in Budget/Resources (Includes coaches’ salaries, recruiting budget, travel budget, private planes, cost of attendance, etc.)​
#1 in Buy Games (Programs who are bought the fewest number of times will rank first)​
#4 in Geographical Recruiting Base (Proximity to players)​
#3 - Temple
#2 - Houston
#1 - Memphis

pj

Reaction Score
The knock: “Storrs, Connecticut. Have you ever been? It’s in the middle of nowhere. Makes it a little more difficult to close the deal with recruits.” – AAC head coach

Players who prefer to be in a party zone are not players who will win national championships. I think the player-filtering provided by the boringness of Storrs, Ct contributes to our success. We get guys who want to work on their games. "AAC head coach" can keep his party players.

Reaction Score
I believe we have the #1 recruiting base BY FAR with our proximity to both Boston and New York. Memphis? Houston? Are they joking? Temple should be #2 after us.

Reaction Score
Yeah there's no way it's harder to get into Cincinnati than UConn. This is very strange. Cincinnati also has all new facilities and is somehow ranked below SMU and their tiny arena?

ECU pays more for buy games than Cincy and Memphis? The whole list is very strange to me.

Reaction Score
Um those admission requirements...?
The only thing I can think is that they somehow know what the athlete admission requirements are because they're different than general students

Reaction Score
The only thing I can think is that they somehow know what the athlete admission requirements are because they're different than general students

Maybe, but something tells me UC isn’t making it harder for their athletes to get in vs the general student body.

Reaction Score

I read the methodology a little closer. It's based on voting by coaches, so some of them probably have no clue on some of these things, they're just guessing.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
even though some of the individual rankings are weird, I think that list is pretty accurate on how I'd rank the jobs. must be pretty sad to be a Temple fan rn. they got passed up by Houston and SMU.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Players who prefer to be in a party zone are not players who will win national championships. I think the player-filtering provided by the boringness of Storrs, Ct contributes to our success. We get guys who want to work on their games. "AAC head coach" can keep his party players.
My dude, these are college students. They don't spend all night, Friday through Sunday, practicing their craft.

Reaction Score
even though some of the individual rankings are weird, I think that list is pretty accurate on how I'd rank the jobs. must be pretty sad to be a Temple fan rn. they got passed up by Houston and SMU.

That sounds like recency bias.

Houston under Kelvin Sampson and SMU under Larry Brown/Tim Jankovich have been doing more for the conference since 2013. Not to begrudge them their spotlight, they've both been solid for the league.

Temple should be higher on that list. IMO, a more valid way of composing this list would be a simple rank order of historical relevance (achievements). Houston should stay up there but SMU should move further down.

Reaction Score
I believe we have the #1 recruiting base BY FAR with our proximity to both Boston and New York. Memphis? Houston? Are they joking? Temple should be #2 after us.
Isn't Houston the 3rd largest city in the USA (behind just NYC and LA) in the second (or third?) largest state in the country and near Dallas-Forthworth, Austin and San Antonio, all of which are also large cities? I think that would explain it perfectly. I think Houston at 2 is fine. Philly is also huge, near DC, NYC and Boston.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I agree with most of this list except for one. We dont have the best tradition. That belongs to Cincy. Every year I have to tune in to their yearly tradition of losing in the first two rounds.

I still can't believe last year. How can you not go through up what was it, 22? in the second half? Mick just gets so goshdarn tight in those situations and the team follows suit. Guy needs to do yoga, meditation and take some Ativan in high pressure spots.

Reaction Score
My dude, these are college students. They don't spend all night, Friday through Sunday, practicing their craft.

Right but i think the point is you can have a lot of fun partying at UConn or really any school, so if best night life is having a major impact on your decision, it probably says a lot about your priorities.

Reaction Score

I think the recruiting base is right if you look strictly geographically. The Texas recruits and Ga/Memphis/Ky recruits are beyond solid. Only difference is that we compete geographically with St John’s, Rutgers, Syracuse for kids that geography matters to. We are 1 or 2 in that list depending on what kids prioritize. Meanwhile, the Texas schools are competing with Texas, A&M,TCU, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, LSU (I know that’s a larger geographical territory, but that’s where all the elites seem to draw from). Memphis has to go against KY, LVille, Indiana, duke, NC and Florida.

IMO the players in those areas may be better, but our appeal in ours vs our competition is better. Just an opinion....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom