Best Guess to the near term outcome | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Guess to the near term outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm a pretty optimistic person but I see no reason for optimism. Wish there was a leak confirming Houston, Boise, ucf, air force, navy and smu all agreed to accept invite. Also, a nice cherry on top is that byu asked to be invited. Boy, how sad things have gotten.

Reaction Score
I hope WVU's departure paves the way for a ND/UConn admission to the ACC. My fear though, is that Rutgers remains an option as well. I envision BC pushing for RU over UConn (once again) in an effort to preserve its "stronghold on New England." BC will also argue that RU will provide further inroads into NYC, and access to New Jersey 9households and recrutits).

If the ACC does make a move with ND, I hope the league uses its head and takes the proven program with a lot of addtional upside - UCONN. The overall strength of the UConn's athletic department will improve the overall quality of the ACC (B-Ball, women's B-Ball, soccer, baseball, etc).

The ACC is not going to add Rutgers or UConn without ND because there will not be enough additional TV money to justify doing that. The ACC schools are looking to maximize their revenues, not to have to share 16 ways instead of 14. ND and some other school is the only model that is INCREMENTAL to ACC revenue

Reaction Score
The ACC is not going to add Rutgers or UConn without ND because there will not be enough additional TV money to justify doing that. The ACC schools are looking to maximize their revenues, not to have to share 16 ways instead of 14. ND and some other school is the only model that is INCREMENTAL to ACC revenue

Yes, it would be incremental.

See, I can make numbers up as well. Please go away. This really is not a time when decent people are trolling on other's boards.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's time to take one step backward to eventually take two steps forward, meaning....
a reformed Big East Football or a new all sports conference all together using teams that are improving but not quite there yet. What teams east of the Mississippi have improved their football programs steadily over the last say 5 years but aren't marquee like a Ohio St or Florida. Possibly band together schools that have improved over the last few years and show promise of continuing that improvement. Just because a team isn't top 25 quality today doesn't mean that in a few years they won't be. They just may. Look at Boise St and TCU. Those guys popped out of nowhere less than a decade ago as far as being household names.

Just as an example and not necessarily including: UConn, Louisville, Cincinnati, USF, Rutgers, Temple, UCF, Memphis, Buffalo, ECU. Others might be Delaware and Villanova if they decide to make the jump to D-1. Maybe the service schools. Who knows. But the question I pose is are those school's football programs improving each year and if so how long before a few of them(or half of them) knock off enough non conference opponents to be ranked in the top 25?

Maybe it's time to stop "wishing" we'll get invited. Maybe it's time to start putting some new foundation blocks in place for a conference that in time will compete for top 10 honors. Of course it's easier to just join something already established but I just don't see us getting invited. UConn football going D-1 was about 10 years too late for the current merry-go-round. But maybe not for ten years from now.

Or..... maybe UConn should think about going independent for a few years till they can compete with the top 25 and just wait for the right invite. As long as UConn football can put together attractive schedules and win 10, 11, 12 games a season we'll get ranked. Recruits will come. UConn has a brand name now. The basketball teams will keep that brand name in the sports highlights. The football team can dictate it's own destiny by improving and beating recognized teams. I just don't want to see the momentum go to waste by joining the A-10 or the MAC. We're right on the verge of turning the corner with our recruiting.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
But the question I pose is are those school's football programs improving each year and if so how long before a few of them(or half of them) knock off enough non conference opponents to be ranked in the top 25?

How about "for--ever"?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How about "for--ever"?

Come on.. Buffalo, ECU and Memphis are only new coaches and 85 much better players away from beating anyone.

Reaction Score
What I'm asking is .... are there enough schools like UConn on the rise to make a new conference East of the Mississippi? Do we "have" to join an established conference or is there potential to start a new Eastern football conference to replace the Big East and eventually the ACC?

To zls44: How long do you think it will take UConn to crack the top 25 on a fairly regular basis?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What I'm asking is .... are there enough schools like UConn on the rise to make a new conference East of the Mississippi? Do we "have" to join an established conference or is there potential to start a new Eastern football conference to replace the Big East and eventually the ACC?

To zls44: How long do you think it will take UConn to crack the top 25 on a fairly regular basis?

No.

I'll answer for him. If UConn isn't in a legitimate BCS league - it will take longer than it will take for the sun to burn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom