Best Gampel game I've been too | The Boneyard

Best Gampel game I've been too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been to a lot of gampel games the past 5 years including the game against syracuse in 2012 and I think this might have been the loudest I've heard it

Reaction Score
Never seen a buzzer beater in person, but omg it was going through me! It was ALA rip against Washington in tourney! Unbelievable!!!!!!

I'm 28, seen a lot of Uconn games....man this team is special!! Mark this post

Never seen a buzzer beater in person, but omg it was going through me! It was ALA rip against Washington in tourney! Unbelievable!!!!!!

I'm 28, seen a lot of Uconn games....man this team is special!! Mark this post

That's exactly what it felt like, the buzzer beater against Washington in the NCAA's.

The crowd seemed loud inside Gampel, not sure how it came across on TV. Sadly, while it was a sellout there were a fair number of unoccupied seats. The no-shows really missed out. Scalpers had tons of tickets still right at tip-off. Anybody could have gotten in for $10.

Reaction Score
meh. Been to a lot of Gampel games. The students did well tonight, but for the overall crowd, try the snow game against Pitt a few years ago, or the NIT win over Nebraska in 1997.

Or, I hate to break this to you, a women's game against Tennessee. Any of them.

Reaction Score
overall crowd seemed disengaged a lot of the game, but it seemed the student section was as loud as ever. obviously the end of the game was insane. loudest game for sure was watching the ncaa championship on the projector screens at gampel. obviously doesn't count as most of the people there were students. it wasnt even completely full, but was the loudest and not even close.

Reaction Score
Best crowd I've seen there in a long time. The end reminded me of Ray Allen at the BET way back...

Reaction Score
It was definitely the best finish in a while, but not even close to the best crowd. The game vs. Texas a few years ago was louder and the crowd was going the whole game

Reaction Score
Went to the game as well, but I have to agree with Wise2. When Texas came here 4 years ago ranked number 1 and Stanley threw down that ally hoop it was like an earthquake hit Storrs.

Reaction Score
Been to a lot of games at both XL and Gampel and it amazes me how many fans do not even clap let alone cheer at games.

Reaction Score
That's exactly what it felt like, the buzzer beater against Washington in the NCAA's.

The crowd seemed loud inside Gampel, not sure how it came across on TV. Sadly, while it was a sellout there were a fair number of unoccupied seats. The no-shows really missed out. Scalpers had tons of tickets still right at tip-off. Anybody could have gotten in for $10.

Seems like we were pretty loud on the broadcast:

Reaction Score
Went to the game as well, but I have to agree with Wise2. When Texas came here 4 years ago ranked number 1 and Stanley threw down that ally hoop it was like an earthquake hit Storrs.

I have to agree. The Stanley dunk and the Donnell dunk on the fast break were disorienting.

The ending last night was definitely the most chaotic a crowd has ever been though. Just watch how violently everyone in the student section is jumping after the shot falls.
Great to hear Shabazz tell Noonan after the game how he does everything for the fans.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Right now my top 5 games I've been to at gampel in no particular order:

Snow game vs. Pitt - Will forever hate Chevy Troutman for ruining it.

OU in 04 - Just a party the entire time, Taliek's and 1 style no look off the hard dribble still seared into my memory.

Kemba vs. Nova teardrop runner.

Cuse 2 years ago - Student section turned into a mosh pitt when we closed the gap in the 2nd half. Too bad we didn't close it out.

Last night - What a scene. Glad the bleachers held when the entire lower bowl of students on the hardcore side flooded towards the tunnel.

I wish I was at the Texas game but in retrospect that wasn't a great team uconn took down. Also wish I saw us knock off Arizona.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It sounded great on TV. It reminded of how the old fieldhouse would get so loud it would shake the dust off the rafters.

(Disclosure - yes, I am very, very old.)

Reaction Score
dat dunk

Reaction Score
Seems like Connecticut is going back to its old ways. I'm sure it was wayyyy louder back in the early 2000s when UConn would sell out every XL Center/Gampel matchup. too bad I wasn't around to watch back then. Yesterday was impressive, I watched on TV and the students where very freaking loud.

I'll be going to watch my Alma mater on Saturday at MSG. Wish me luck, I hope we fill it 10% capacity since we don't really draw... lol

Reaction Score
The noise level before during and after the second U C O N N chant was electric.

Reaction Score
I've only been attending 6 or 7 years (every game at Gampel and XL) and for me the tops is the 2nd half run against Texas...we scored a bunch in a row including the Beverly dunk, which set the place off. Close behind are Cuse and Nova 2011, and last night.

It's a shame we have half the crowd sitting on their hands most of the game, cause Gampel is absolutely awesome when the crowd is involved.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
That would be the one!

Been a student since 2006 and I'm still sneakin into the student section to this day. Since I've been a student, there has never been a home game as loud as the Texas game.

The crowd was stoked and waiting to explode. The team responded with a bunch of huge momentum plays:

-Majok blocks/energy/hustle plays
-Sticks alley-oop
-Beverly dunk after the steal
-Kemba's LONG 3 as the shot clock wound down.

Listen to the noise after one replay of Stanley's dunk. It is so loud that the mic crackles. Nothing will touch that game.

That being said... the Florida game was a pretty close second. If not for a few momentum-killing turnovers by Bazz/Boat and the terrible officiating, I think the crowd could have gotten even louder. The finish was fantastic, though... unforgettable.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
KEA's game winner on Senior Night 2000 was pretty loud.

Reaction Score
Another vote here for the Texas game. That was just insane. Was a bright spot in a very rough year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom