Best Cult Movies...since we need another movie thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best Cult Movies...since we need another movie thread

Reaction Score
Invoking Nelson's "Paul Newman Rule" here. If it's a Coen Bros. movie, it is assumed to be good. It is only surprising when it's bad (Barton Fink, I'm looking at you.)

Fair enough, but this one was so offbeat that I figured it might be some sort of exception. An allegory and modern take on The Odyssey is ambitious to say the least.

Something to remember. There is usually a distinction between movies made for a mainstream audience, and those films with art house/independent origins. Also important to remember that just because a movie has art/house or independent origins, it is not necessarily a cult movie or one with a cult following. The Coen Brothers are an interesting case, as they have tended to straddle the cult line, especially in their earlier days. No question that The Big Lebowski deserves its cult status. However, I disagree about the idea of "Oh Brother" being a cult movie. I will say that it is probably my favorite Coen Brothers production. Anyway, "Oh Brother is odd without being really all that weird, at least for the Coen Brothers. Remember, it also stars George Clooney at a time where he was close to the height of his popularity, which makes it a hard sell for me as far as giving it cult status. This movie also greatly raised the profile of bluegrass/Americana music, something you don't expect cult movies to do. As far as it being an allegory for The Odyssey, that shows more of its art house roots than anything cultish.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Something
to remember. There is usually a distinction between movies made for a mainstream audience, and those films with art house/independent origins. Also important to remember that just because a movie has art/house or independent origins, it is not necessarily a cult movie or one with a cult following. The Coen Brothers are an interesting case, as they have tended to straddle the cult line, especially in their earlier days. No question that The Big Lebowski deserves its cult status. However, I disagree about the idea of "Oh Brother" being a cult movie. I will say that it is probably my favorite Coen Brothers production. Anyway, "Oh Brother is odd without being really all that weird, at least for the Coen Brothers. Remember, it also stars George Clooney at a time where he was close to the height of his popularity, which makes it a hard sell for me as far as giving it cult status. This movie also greatly raised the profile of bluegrass/Americana music, something you don't expect cult movies to do. As far as it being an allegory for The Odyssey, that shows more of its art house roots than anything cultish.

These are good points, but how does one determine whether something has a cult following? I mean, it's obvious with movies like The Big Lebowski, Clockwork Orange, et al. But where's the cutoff?

Reaction Score
These are good points, but how does one determine whether something has a cult following? I mean, it's obvious with movies like The Big Lebowski, Clockwork Orange, et al. But where's the cutoff?

Well, in another thread there was the argument about which movies qualify as chick flicks. In some cases it is obvious, in other cases not so much. We're each going to come up with our own answers, and sometimes our arguments and discussions are going to persuade others.

Reaction Score
Just recently saw The Boondock Saints for the first time which seems kind of cult like.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
One criteria for a cult classic is if a film did not do so hot at the box office, but gets aired weekly on a superstation (e.g. TNT, USA, IFC).

Another is if that movie has periodic dedicated conventions, such as Lebowskifest.

Of course there are always exceptions. Star Trek is celebrated like no other franchise. However, it was a TV show before it was a movie, and the movie franchise kills it at the Box Office. Otherwise they wouldn't have made so many or had a modern day reboot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How about The Princess Bride? I think that fits the above criteria. Died at the box office. Developed a huge following after being released on video, and is aired on television frequently.

I think The Princess Bride is a very good fantasy movie, and it seems to be a rather popular film these days. However, I have never thought of The Princess Bride as a cult item. Having a huge following as you say sort of contradicts the idea of it being a cult film, which by definition would have a more restricted audience that enjoys it.

Reaction Score
One you've seen? Super Troopers.

One you probably haven't? The Room. You'll hear about this one more when the Rogen/Franco movie about it comes out.

Reaction Score
I think The Princess Bride is a very good fantasy movie, and it seems to be a rather popular film these days. However, I have never thought of The Princess Bride as a cult item. Having a huge following as you say sort of contradicts the idea of it being a cult film, which by definition would have a more restricted audience that enjoys it.
I don't necessarily think a large following precludes a film from having cult status. Just look at something like Star Wars. That following is nothing if not cultish. But again, like you said earlier, cult status in the beholder's eye is certainly subjective.

As for the Coen's, I'm a great lover of many of their films and one of my favorites is one that I almost never see mentioned by anyone, The Hudsucker Proxy. It's such a great, silly film. I really think Lebowski is hugely overrated. It's a great performance by Bridges but I find it mostly unfunny and boring.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily think a large following precludes a film from having cult status. Just look at something like Star Wars. That following is nothing if not cultish. But again, like you said earlier, cult status in the beholder's eye is certainly subjective.

As for the Coen's, I'm a great lover of many of their films and one of my favorites is one that I almost never see mentioned by anyone, The Hudsucker Proxy. It's such a great, silly film. I really think Lebowski is hugely overrated. It's a great performance by Bridges but I find it mostly unfunny and boring.

Well, there's the rub. I don't think Star Wars the film is a cult item at this point, as it is oh so popular. But like you say, there are aspects of Star Wars fandom that is certainly a cult, no question. Actually, that is something that seems to exist with the fandom for many pieces of popular science fiction and fantasy, with Star Trek and Doctor Who (a personal favorite of mine) leading the way.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I really think Lebowski is hugely overrated. It's a great performance by Bridges but I find it mostly unfunny and boring.

Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I get some dirty looks when that movie comes up in conversation and I admit I didn't care for it.

Reaction Score
Spinal Tap

Damn you. I jumped over here thinking that I would add this one. Anyway, followed in descending order (by my subjective ranking of the other mockumentaries of similar creation):

For Your Consideration - the best executed of all in the genre. So ironic, so many great lines!

Best In Show - judged sperately it is an undeniable masterpiece.

Waiting for Guffman

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How are we missing the Evil Dead movies and Army of Darkeness here?
Repo Man for sure.

I'll second Hudson Hawk too. Snatch, if it qualifies, is genius, as is In Bruges.

I think Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and Paul have all reached cult status.

Reaction Score
How are we missing the Evil Dead movies and Army of Darkeness here?
Repo Man for sure.

I'll second Hudson Hawk too. Snatch, if it qualifies, is genius, as is In Bruges.

I think Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and Paul have all reached cult status.

In Bruges is a terrific film. Part travelogue, part hit man movie, with some hilarious scenes to boot. I can't imagine that all that many people have seen it. I also have no idea if it has developed a cult following, but I would say it certainly deserves one.

Reaction Score
Doubt they qualify, but Wayne's World, Fast Times and Almost Famous pop into mind

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Hell Raiser
Mark of the Devil (saw it when I was about 10, they gave out barf bags as a gimmick. Didn't know it would be full of naked witches being tortured, the guy selling tickets at the old movie house in New Britain downtown didn't know either).

Reaction Score
A Clockwork Orange

It's deserving of cult status, even though it is a Stanley Kubrick production and a big time movie in its day. These days, it barely seems to get the time of day. It's a terrific film that I haven't seen in years. It's also one that my wife just refuses to watch, even though she is a science fiction/fantasy fan.

Reaction Score
Donald-Trump-in-Home-Alone-2-20th-Century-Fox.jpg

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think I've got one--Heavy Metal, early 80's animated film for a mature audience, definitely not a kids cartoon. Don't think it was mentioned earlier. Maybe along the same vein, although I haven't actually seen it, Wizards. Also animated.

Reaction Score
Wizard of oz has a nice cult following.
Buck up my squishy friend, my avatar really shouldn't have caused you and your snowflakes to melt. You also don't need to try to shame me in order to ban me, you can just pull the trigger if you are so soft. It's a shame you are melting over my avatar and resorting to personal attacks simply because of your own stupidity.

88B5E11F-4AF0-436F-A44E-FD0F7E30F12E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom