Best Covers of Rock Songs | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Best Covers of Rock Songs

Reaction Score
Bob Welch's solo version of "Future Games" from the early Fleetwood Mac days:

Reaction Score
That was the next one I intended to post. One of my favorites.
I’m collecting every version of it (All along the Watchtower) I come across. Some are epic, all are great.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Not rock, but I have loved Robert Palmer's cover of Toots and the Maytals' Pressure Drop since the first time I heard it.

I thought the Boneyard was a "G" rated site.;) Maybe we need @Biff to do his magic and maybe put at least a mask on those cheeks.:rolleyes:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I love seeing others cover rock hits and one of the best covers of the classic song In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly is by Sina and friends.
Biggest cover artist has to be Elvis Presley. I'll bet I could name 8-10 covers. "Hound Dog" was not his first. He started his career with a cover of his very first song. "That Alright Mama" was a cover. It was written and originally performed by blues singer Arthur Crudup and recorded in 1946. His cover of "Hound Dog" was a cover of "Big Mama" Thornton's rendition which was written specifically for her.

HOUND DOG - WILLIE MAE 'BIG MAMA' THORNTON (1953) on Peacock 78 RPM original version

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Blueberry Hill - Sammy Kaye with Tommy Ryan (1940) | Fats Domino (1956)
Can you tell why everyone remembers Fats' version? :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Bon Iver's Skinny Love was absolutely nailed by a teenager Bella Ferraro (Australian). Sure it's a Got Talent show, but some of the greatest singing stars have come out of them. Just a great rendition. It starts just as she starts:

Birdy's cover is more well known than Iver's.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Sorry about the intro. I don't watch these rigged talent shows but this one popped up on my FB Watch and I really enjoyed her version of the song. I guess Mark thinks that I should be watching them...

@MSGRET And if talent shows don't count, I have no problem with that...again, I was really taken aback by her take on the song.

That's no problem because that's how Pentatonix got started. They won the 3rd series of the Sing Off competition. Below is the link to all of their songs.

Reaction Score
Love this Ian & Sylvia version of the Gordon Lightfoot super classic:

I'll give a double cover. Tom Rush and/or Ian & Silvia doing Joni Mitchell's "Circle Game". Sorry I don't know how to do the album covers.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Biggest cover artist has to be Elvis Presley. I'll bet I could name 8-10 covers. "Hound Dog" was not his first. He started his career with a cover of his very first song. "That Alright Mama" was a cover. It was written and originally performed by blues singer Arthur Crudup and recorded in 1946. His cover of "Hound Dog" was a cover of "Big Mama" Thornton's rendition which was written specifically for her.

HOUND DOG - WILLIE MAE 'BIG MAMA' THORNTON (1953) on Peacock 78 RPM original version

I'd always thought Big Mama wrote that, but I looked it up and. . . Lieber and Stoller. I didn't know they were working in 1952.

Learn something new every day.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here are the Chieftains and Ziggy Marley doing one of his father's songs. RIP Paddy Moloney, died the other day at 83.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Unchained Melody - Todd Duncan (1955) | The Righteous Brothers (1965)
Actually sung alone by Bobby Hatfield. What a voice! He sang this live and it sounds better than recording studio creation. Notice no strain to increase volume and hit the highest notes. His transitions are effortless. The ending almost sounds operatic Unfortunately he always felt he was the forgotten Righteous Brother.

Todd Duncan - Unchained Melody (Original in Color 1955)

Reaction Score
CCR doing "Heard it Through the Grapevine" originally by Gladys Knight and the Pips, and then Marvin Gaye. Also Vanilla Fudge doing "You Keep Me Hanging On", originally by The Supremes

Reaction Score
Cat Steven's vocals on this song are inimitable but these dudes do a credible job and nail the acoustic guitar

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Elvis did cover a lot, and he loved this one - Polk Salad Annie by Tony Joe White.

I do as well, took up guitar in retirement and enjoy playing around with it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom