Best Covers of Rock Songs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best Covers of Rock Songs

Reaction Score
As a switch, I'm putting up the original, since I'm doubting that many know that Lonnie Donegan wasn't the first to sing it. This novelty tune goes back to 1924, and the "spearmint" was the chewing gum.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I'll start with one of the most well known covers. A cover of Bruce's song.

Blinded By the Light - Manfred Mann

You can start a lot of arguments with this statement. There are a lot of big hits that were actually covers, or more accurately, rerelease of the same song. Chubby Checkers The Twist or Blood Sweat and Tears You Made Me so Very Happy, (originally released by Brenda Holloway.) But I would argue that the most well known cover was Elvis Presley's Hound Dog. ( may have been before your time.) Here's the original, which the black community was very familiar with.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score

Cover of the Ian Hunter original, before he was in Mott The Hoople.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
It was 1967 and the Box Tops were getting a ton of air time for their hit song The Letter. It made #1 for four weeks in the summer of 67.
This song brings a smile to Mrs. SVC's and my face whenever we hear it. It is our song since it is what happened with us. After my parents interfered with our relationship Mrs. SVC wrote me a letter breaking off our relationship. I learned Mrs. SVC's sister took her to Miami to begin forgetting about me. I begged and borrowed money from friends and relatives to follow by standby flights over night. Obviously I tracked her down and won her back. Odd how such an negatively emotional time now makes us smile.

Reaction Score

Thanks @MdStang for sharing Chris Stapleton's version. Had never heard it and I enjoy Metallica.

I've been hearing clips of Mylie Cyrus's version that ESPN has been using for the baseball play-offs commercials.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom