Best Covers of Pop Songs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best Covers of Pop Songs

Reaction Score
Never realized so many people covered Tony Orlando and Dawn's "Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree."

Here is Perry Como's version.

Tie a yellow ribbon made the hot 100 top 500 songs of all time. Coming in around 280ish. They pretty much got there own variety show out of it. Tony Orlando and Dawn had like 20 top 40 hits. Side note Tony Orlando spent time working with the Grateful Dead.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's a little change of pace. The first track from Ray Manzarek's version of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana:

Reaction Score
Good cover of a classic. I like the drummer (Fergal Lawler - crisp and punching through) and Dolores:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Mike Masse has covered virtually every song. ( Check Youtube) Here he joins the popular Mona Lisa Twins to cover Toto's Africa.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I first heard Mike Masse doing Beatles covers in a Pizza Parlor. Just Mike and a bass player. I guess he's come a long way since then.

Reaction Score
Here’s another one that was kind of redone by the writer. Buddy Buie wrote and produced for the Classics IV, and later for Atlanta Rhythm Section, and JR Cobb was a member of both groups. The Classics IV had a hit with Spooky in the mid-60’s, and ARS recorded it in the late 70’s

Love ARS. Thanks

Reaction Score
Here's a little change of pace. The first track from Ray Manzarek's version of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana:

Looks like Bosch, Van Eyck, Bruegel and a few others also contributed.

Reaction Score
OP here. Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread. I've learned so much and enjoyed every minute of it so far.

Reaction Score
Mike Masse has covered virtually every song. ( Check Youtube) Here he joins the popular Mona Lisa Twins to cover Toto's Africa.

Thanks for posting. A really great cover of a song I've always loved. It's going in stash of favorite music links. In the future, you'd better be quick, though, or I'll beat you to the punch the next time somebody starts a thread "Favorite Songs About Continents."

Reaction Score
I am a BIG Taylor Swift fan, so here is a cover of her song "Willow" from Folklore, sung by Leanne & Naara which I think is excellent, and I might rate it even slightly higher than Taylor's original.

Reaction Score
Continuing with my second contribution is another Taylor Swift song "Delicate" (from her Reputation album). It is sung by the duel of Sam Tsui & Vidya Vox. They do a great job, IMO.

Reaction Score
I am a BIG Taylor Swift fan, so here is a cover of her song "Willow" from Folklore, sung by Leanne & Naara which I think is excellent, and I might rate it even slightly higher than Taylor's original.

Here's Taylor covering Bryan Adams.

Reaction Score

Aianna Grande SNL skit in 2018, a lot of fun. Check out videos of her on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, 'Wheel of Musical Impressions'( Wheel of Musical Impressions with Ariana Grande ) if you want to see more of her versatility. Love how much joy she gets out of singing, her range and ability to cover just about anybody....the Husky of Pop artists.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Two of my favorite cover artists were Vonda Shepard and Johnny Rivers. This song was originally written in 1952 and recorded by Jo Stafford. Since then it has been recorded many times, a pop version recorded by the Duprees in 1962. Who remembers this tender moment from Ally McBeal?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Some really nice choices in this thread so far. Well done everyone. I think the choice blow ends up in pretty much every “cover“ thread, but it is one of my favorites and is probably most appropriate in the pop cover genre. I don’t think I’ve done this version before:

Reaction Score
Chaka Khan, always amazing, & re-arranged production bring "Everywhere" by Fleetwood Mac to another level.

Reaction Score
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun – Cyndi Lauper (Robert Hazard)
"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" is a song written and performed by American musician Robert Hazard who released the single in 1979. It is known as a single by American singer Cyndi Lauper, whose version was released in 1983

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom