4) M*A*S*H
5) Operation Petticoat
6) 1941
7) Mister Roberts
8) Good Morning Viet Nam
9) Father Goose
10) To Be Or Not To Be
11) Stalag 17

Not in any particular order....MASH and Stripes will always be my two favorites....

Psycho and Ox - Stripes (3/8) Movie CLIP (1981) HD

The original To Be Or Not To Be is a fantastic movie and a true comedy. It would be my nomination for the best film Ernst Lubitch ever made, and for that matter, the best movie that Jack Benny was ever involved with. Stalag 17 is also great stuff, it ranks with the best films that Billy Wilder ever made. As with many Wilder movies it ranges from the comedic to the dramatic and back again.

While not a great movie, I have no negative waves for Kelly's Heroes. It and MASH are always welcome viewing in our house.

Reaction Score
The original To Be Or Not To Be is a fantastic movie and a true comedy. It would be my nomination for the best film Ernst Lubitch ever made, and for that matter, the best movie that Jack Benny was ever involved with. Stalag 17 is also great stuff, it ranks with the best films that Billy Wilder ever made. As with many Wilder movies it ranges from the comedic to the dramatic and back again.

While not a great movie, I have no negative waves for Kelly's Heroes. It and MASH are always welcome viewing in our house.
Agree on Kelly's Hero's, not a great film but entertaining, however I think M*A*S*H the film, not the TV show, was the funniest film ever made as well as a brilliant satire, Altman was a genius. The football game was classic, not on YouTube though. Painless, General Hammond, Volmer, Col Blake.

10 Fascinating Facts About Robert Altman’s <em>M*A*S*H</em>

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Good list. I thought I had a couple more, but on closer inspection you already had them listed.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Top Secret! Val Kilmer’s first and best part (outside of Real Genius of course).

Didn't even think of that one. Back when spoof movies were still fresh and very funny.

Reaction Score
A little secret about a thread like this, don't list potentially every item that fits the question you're asking from the outset. ;) :)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Personally, I thought 1941 was truly awful.

I'd add these two:
Duck Soup
The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming

Reaction Score
Personally, I thought 1941 was truly awful.

I'd add these two:
Duck Soup
The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming

Good call on Duck Soup. The Marx Brothers are a cornerstone of American comedy, and Duck Soup would be my pick for their best movie. It's an absolute scream. To war!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Similar to Operation Petticoat, was Down Periscope, with Kelsey Grammer.

Not hilarious, but pretty funny.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Another I thought was pretty funny. The Men Who Stare at Goats.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The original To Be Or Not To Be is a fantastic movie and a true comedy. It would be my nomination for the best film Ernst Lubitch ever made, and for that matter, the best movie that Jack Benny was ever involved with.

That's a good one. Enjoyed way more than I thought I would going in. Benny was excellent.

Reaction Score
Another I thought was pretty funny. The Men Who Stare at Goats.

Yes, I enjoyed this movie, and it was funny. George Clooney goes to work in his Coen Brothers mode, so to speak.

I do have a complaint about this film. This movie is a comedy, but it is possible for a comedic film to take its subject a bit more seriously and not treat its material as a complete farce. The military took the whole idea of the possible use of paranormal concepts by the military seriously, but the filmmakers clearly did not. By taking this approach, it lessens the potential impact of the movie, as it is less likely for the ordinary filmgoer to realize that this was actual military research into the paranormal that was going on, that this is how your tax dollars were being spent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hot Shots Part Duex? - I doubt its re-watchable, but at the time necessary spoof of top gun & Rambo.

Reaction Score
If you watched the0 60 Minutes interview of Donald Sutherland last night you found out that Kelly's Heroes was the film that launched his career. Seems that the actor that was scheduled to pose as a General & review the troops refused to do the scene. The director scanned the extras & said "You with the big ears! You do it" & history was made.

Reaction Score
If you watched the0 60 Minutes interview of Donald Sutherland last night you found out that Kelly's Heroes was the film that launched his career. Seems that the actor that was scheduled to pose as a General & review the troops refused to do the scene. The director scanned the extras & said "You with the big ears! You do it" & history was made.
He did Kelly's Hero's before he did M*A*S*H? I thought M*A*S*H came out first.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
He did Kelly's Hero's before he did M*A*S*H? I thought M*A*S*H came out first.
I just looked him up. Both films were 1970.

In 1975 he starred in "Day of the Locust". His character's name was Homer Simpson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom