Best Championship Season? | The Boneyard

Best Championship Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
In my opinion
1. 1999- The first domino, we shocked the world.

2. 2014- To this day, I am still in shock. How the hell did we pull that off? From 33 point blowout to L'Ville to plowing through conference champions of A-10, Big East, Big 12, Big 10, and the 2 best from the SEC.

3. 2004- Arguably our most talented team, secured us as national powerhouses. The Duke win was maybe the most nerve-wracking UConn game I've ever watched.

4. 2011- I'm certainly not trying to downplay this championship, but IMO winning 5 games in 5 days was possibly harder/more gratifying than the NCAA title. Either way it was awesome and shocking. Cardiac Kemba and the kids- will never forget.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
In my opinion

2. 2014- To this day, I am still in shock. How the hell did we pull that off? From 33 point blowout to L'Ville to plowing through conference champions of A-10, Big East, Big 12, Big 10, and the whole SEC.

3. 2004- Arguably our most talented team, secured us as national powerhouses. The Duke win was maybe the most nerve-wracking UConn game I've ever watched.

4. 2011- I'm certainly not trying to downplay this championship, but IMO winning 5 games in 5 days was possibly harder/more gratifying than the NCAA title. Either way it was awesome and shocking. Cardiac Kemba and the kids- will never forget.
Fixed

Reaction Score
2011 was my favorite. Absolutely nothing was expected out of that team. Coming off an NIT bid, I wasn't even all that excited for the season. But that changed when the Maui Invitational started. That was the sign that this team had something in them. Kemba had the best season ever at UConn and he pulled it off with 3 starting freshman. Just an unbelievable season.

Reaction Score
Especially for those that endured the pain of 1990,
1999 was the most incredible. I called AZHuskie and screamed into the phone as my wife was ordering us NC sweatshirts from QVC on our other line.

Last year was the the next most important,as it was a statement that the reports of our death were greatly exaggerated.Also ,that UConn was much more than a one coach wonder school. The torch had been passed.
But they were all special, and I fear the greatness of that fete is taken for granted on this board. It's a rare achievement.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In my opinion

2. 2014- To this day, I am still in shock. How the hell did we pull that off? From 33 point blowout to L'Ville to plowing through conference champions of A-10, Big East, Big 12, Big 10, and the 2 best from the SEC.

1999 - First one and it was my Senior year at UConn. Gained valuable experience playing with UNC in a "neutral court NCAA Tournament game vs. UNC played in Greensboro.

I wish people would stop it with the, "We shocked the World," bologna about that team, regardless of what Khalid chirped after 0:00 on March 29. It was one of the deepest, most talented teams in the nation. Everyone had a role, knew their role, excepted their role, and executed their role to near perfection. UConn was #1 for just as long as Duke and never lost a road/neutral court game. They were more experienced than Duke and played in a more competitive conference. The only reason UConn, "Shocked the World," is because the World had warped expectations.

2014 - Playing out of a much weaker conference. One year after the ban. The awkwardness of Emmert forced to give the Trophy to Ollie was pure magic.

2011 - Out of nowhere, with the feeling that the game passed Calhoun by as recently as a year before. Undefeated in Tournament play (14-0) and Out of Conference.

2004 - Deep run was somewhat expected. Sweet nonetheless, but not a much of a fairy tale feeling as the other 3.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Best championship season?

1999 (dominant wire to wire)
2004 (a few befuddling losses, but generally excellent, especially in March)
2011 (great early, great late, mediocre in between)
2014 (so-so for most of the year, put it together when it counted)

Most satisfying championship run?

2014 (unexpected and came at a crucial time in the program's history, added bonus for MSG magic and beating UK)
2004 (laid waste to all challengers, beat Duke as the only threat)
1999 (got the monkey off our back)
2011 (fun run with Kemba, beat UK)

Though, to be fair, it's not like you'd call any of those seasons or runs "unsatisfying".

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I wish people would stop it with the, "We shocked the World," bologna about that team, regardless of what Khalid chirped after 0:00 on March 29. It was one of the deepest, most talented teams in the nation. Everyone had a role, knew their role, excepted their role, and executed their role to near perfection. UConn was #1 for just as long as Duke and never lost a road/neutral court game. They were more experienced than Duke and played in a more competitive conference. The only reason UConn, "Shocked the World," is because the World had warped expectations.
Nobody expected us to win. Thus, we shocked the world.

Reaction Score
1999 to me. We and dook were equals (1&2), yet dook was crowned before the game. Khalid was partially right because here in CT we were not shocked, and didn't see it as an upset.

As for the game, we held our own and then some. That dook team was extremely talented, well coached and was blowing teams away. Langdon was a hell of a shooter capable of pushing leads. Elton Brand was POY and Battier was solid. Their coach was equal to ours (perhaps better at the time).

We gritted, grinded and finally buried them thanks to Ricky, Kevin and Jake with our bench. Khalid and Rip did what they always do, but the rest came to play and outplayed dook.

As for that season we were BE tested, and stomp through the league. We just had to win it all. And the story book said their was a mountain of a team in our way. Will UConn brought the shovels that night and moved and climbed it. Very satisfying season, especially with all the great players and teams JC was working with before. For Calhoun to beat Coach K at the end was the icing on the cake.

Reaction Score
1999 is number 1, 2004 is number 4 (only because it was the most "expected" of the four runs). I can't decide between '14 and '11. The NCAA run was more fun in 2014 than in 2011 (more satisfying championship game, ridiculous quality of opponents), but no team--not one, not ever, not anywhere--will do anything better than winning a conference tourney by winning 5 in 5 days, against that level of combination. What an achievement.

I think in the end I wouldn't trade 5 in 5 days for anything. I will remember that till my last days.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Nobody expected us to win. Thus, we shocked the world.
As I said, the world had warped expectations.

Just like the Football National Championship a couple years later between FSU & Oklahoma. FSU could have very well won that game, but there was no way they were 14 points better than Oklahoma. What happened? Oklahoma won in a (relative) walk.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Winning a championship is the greatest feeling a fan can have. The best part is we have 4 championships to talk about and there are other schools out there that have only one, or none at all. All of the UConn championships are unique in their own way and feel good for a different reason. Thats why I think its hard to compare them and rank them 1-4. 1999 was obviously the first and we never got to experience that feeling before. The way it was done by beating Duke made it even sweeter. 2004 was great because we were pre season number 1 and we carried the torch all season and dominated for most of it. 2011 and 2014 were unexpected and it was amazing watching Kemba and then Shabazz just will us to victory every step of the way.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Winning a championship is the greatest feeling a fan can have. The best part is we have 4 championships to talk about and there are other schools out there that have only one, or none at all. All of the UConn championships are unique in their own way and feel good for a different reason. Thats why I think its hard to compare them and rank them 1-4. 1999 was obviously the first and we never got to experience that feeling before. The way it was done by beating Duke made it even sweeter. 2004 was great because we were pre season number 1 and we carried the torch all season and dominated for most of it. 2011 and 2014 were unexpected and it was amazing watching Kemba and then Shabazz just will us to victory every step of the way.
It's just a great feeling to have the luxury to compare championships.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
It's 2011 and 1999 for me,

But isn't it nice to actually have 4 years to pick from, I could only imagine what this thread might look like on the Cuse board.:p

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It's 2011 and 1999 for me,

But isn't it nice to actually have 4 years to pick from, I could only imagine what this thread might look like on the Cuse board.:p
My favorite Cuse championship would have to be 2003.
Least favorite- probably '03.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
My favorite Cuse championship would have to be 2003.
Least favorite- probably '03.

How about favorite Cuse championship if the NCAA actually did its job this past March?

Reaction Score
"....and Langdon travels", my head literally hit the ceiling.

Reaction Score
Funny how life and perspective changes with time. In 1999, I was in Tampa with my boys going nuts and by 2014 I am watching the game alone, trying to remain quiet, texting those same guys, while my wife and 2 young kids were sleeping upstairs. Anyway, its hard to rank titles. I'd say the bookend titles meant the most to me. The first is always the sweetest and the last was such a statement..... a gigantic to the ncaa and p5 and espn and the horde of doubters.

Reaction Score
If we are counting "any" Championship- then the NIT in 1988 should also be counted with the NCAA ones, was tremendous for the State/UConn. I'd still pick 1999 as far and away above any others though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom