Best CFB Road Trip | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best CFB Road Trip

Reaction Score
Lots of great suggestions in this thread, but I’m going USF/ UCF in Orlando.

Reaction Score
Texas-Oklahoma in Dallas, held at the same time as the Texas State Fair.

For those that remember the old Danbury State Fair, the Texas fair is similar but about 5 times bigger.

And our weather in October is (usually) spectacular.

Definitely on the bucket list. But, I think he should go to an on campus game first

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Supposedly Ole Miss at Oxford, Miss and the groves are top notch and the attire of the fairer gender can melt you.

Unfortunately it's in the middle of nowhere and a sxalito hole within hours in every direction

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
UConn at Yale in New Haven!

Oh, wait. The cowards backed out of that series.

Reaction Score
UConn game in Toronto was great. We walked all over the city, which is more than we would ever do at any other bowl city than Charlotte. It was not cold! Truthfully I was colder at Phoenix and Birmingham than Toronto. Loved the underground city where we could take an underground train or walk to any part of the city. It also had stores and restaurants there. If I had to live anyplace else beside the US I would live in Toronto. Loved it.

Reaction Score
Columbus downtown picture
Wait, posting a picture of the Olentangy River in plain vanilla downtown Columbus is inexplicably supposed to help support Ohio State’s horseshoe as a desired destination? As boring as downtown Columbus is and as much as it’s not really the destination for visitors, it’s 80% closer to OSU’s massive campus, High Street party district, game day tailgating, the stadium, etc than some other school and a leased stadium. All that BSing aside, OSU’s stadium area and campus is a pretty good destination; particularly when the Buckeyes lose!

Reaction Score
You’ve heard wrong.

It’s like going to a game at West Virginia except there are 100k of them and they are wearing the ugliest shade of orange.

Come on stop - your UGA bias is showing through.

It's a great environment and a great tailgate - get on a Vol board or any SEC school board and let them know you're coming down and you'll get invited to a tailgate.

Reaction Score
Won't happen this year but hearing that the AD is working on a H&H with Hawaii. Maybe basketball too.
Late gridiron season symbolic bowl game/early hoops season doubleheader + vacation, what’s not to like? Just don’t schedule Chaminade.

Reaction Score
Wait, posting a picture of the Olentangy River in plain vanilla downtown Columbus is inexplicably supposed to help support Ohio State’s horseshoe as a desired destination? As boring as downtown Columbus is and as much as it’s not really the destination for visitors, it’s 80% closer to OSU’s massive campus, High Street party district, game day tailgating, the stadium, etc than some other school and a leased stadium. All that BSing aside, OSU’s stadium area and campus is a pretty good destination; particularly when the Buckeyes lose!
I've never been to Columbus but I've heard great things and am looking forward to going someday.
Pittsburgh is also a fun city.
I've spend some time in Athens, GA and to be honest, I don't think much of Athens at all. The campus is nice but I don't think it's a great destination city outside of CFB.

Reaction Score
I think if you can arrive via boat and tailgate on the boat, it would make for a much better environment.

Why is tailgating on a boat make a better environment? It limits ones in Tera Timon with other fans, even if it is a big boat how close can you get to shore? .
That should be interactions

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Why is tailgating on a boat make a better environment? It limits ones in Tera Timon with other fans, even if it is a big boat how close can you get to shore? .

There's a bit of fun cruising down a river and tying off your boat to a bunch of other boats and moving the party along.

1562639134838.png

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

UW Huskies are another school that does the boat tailgating thing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What could have been...

No kidding. Two biggest failures of the Rent were only building to 40k instead of 55k and not creating an estuary off the CT river to the Rent. Without those two features they might as well held out and built on campus.

Reaction Score
No kidding. Two biggest failures of the Rent were only building to 40k instead of 55k and not creating an estuary off the CT river to the Rent. Without those two features they might as well held out and built on campus.
Truth be told, and I don't know how it goes down in TN or WA, but the post-game navigation could be a problem. Hartford/Connecticut just never figured out the whole river thing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What could have been...

They could have had fishing games for the kids before the game, bumper boats, x-rated house boat parties, etc. But, in the land of steady habits, you get 40k on an old runway.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I've done it at West Point a few times and it is a blast. A tender comes out and ferries you to the dock.

FWIW, I agree with those who say West Point is a great place to see a game. It is a gorgeous campus, the cadet parade is cool and love how each squad has it's own mascot. Annapolis is fun as well.

Reaction Score
Haven't been on too many CFB road trips, but, i have to say Penn St is a great time, saw them vs OSU, and vs MICH, both games awesome time. State college is the epitome of college town great setup and tailgate .. Also went to WV vs UCONN the year Jasper howard passed, and have to say despite some blatant racism while trying to find a spot to tailgate, it was one of my favorite trips..

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Haven't been on too many CFB road trips, but, i have to say Penn St is a great time, saw them vs OSU, and vs MICH, both games awesome time. State college is the epitome of college town great setup and tailgate .. Also went to WV vs UCONN the year Jasper howard passed, and have to say despite some blatant racism while trying to find a spot to tailgate, it was one of my favorite trips..
I'm so disappointed to hear about the racism. The way WVU handled recognizing Jazz is a favorite sports memory. That really taints it, though I suppose it was just one idiot and shouldn't reflect on the school's handling of that tragedy.

Reaction Score
I'm so disappointed to hear about the racism. The way WVU handled recognizing Jazz is a favorite sports memory. That really taints it, though I suppose it was just one idiot and shouldn't reflect on the school's handling of that tragedy.
No i don't really blame the school for it, the incident was basically i went down there with bunch my friends who happened to be white. when were looking for a place to tailgate, we would pull up to a lot, mind you, our van had a bunch of UCONN flags and decals on it, so we were already getting funny looks. all my friends got out of the van, and started to set up the tent, nothing was said but we notice all of the people around the van looking at us funny. i was the last one to get out of the van, and someone saw me, and told the rest of the group, "you guys have to go.. cant park here" this happened at 2 other places we tried to park.. so we ended up driving around for 10 min till we finally found a strip mall where people were tailgating in the parking lot. we pulled up, got some more strange looks at first, but then one of the guys, who we parked next to, came over to our tailgate said "hi, would like to try some blackberry moon shine?" we invited them to play flip cup, which they never herd of amazingly, so we taught them how to play that, and the rest of the trip, from what i remember of it, was pretty dam fun. minus the game which was another heart breaking loss..

Reaction Score

FWIW, Ohio State has lost 11 home games in the last 18 years, so not a particularly good destination very often :).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom