Best CFB Road Trip | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best CFB Road Trip

Reaction Score
Why avoid TN? I had always heard great things about a game in Knoxville.

You’ve heard wrong.

It’s like going to a game at West Virginia except there are 100k of them and they are wearing the ugliest shade of orange.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Saw LSU Florida in 2003. 92,000. Tiger in a cage on sidelines. No alcohol in stadium!

Alcohol is now allowed.

I was there in 07 or 08 when Tebow was Gators QB. Not only were there 95k at the game, there were another 100k who showed up just to tailgate and watch game on satellite TV from parking lots. No exaggeration, I saw a minimum of 20 different tailgates where a full, unskinned gator was being grilled over charcoals. I was there with an LSU season tix holder and a Gator fan, we walked all over. The sch itt talking was intense but everyone was willing to share a bite and a drink.

LSU is insane for a big Saturday night game.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Interesting. All of this makes sense except for Florida (see my previous post ;) ) but, what did you like so much about UNC?
I think your dislike of the gators is clouding your judgement. Most ‘best place to see a game’ polls, have Gainesville on the list.

If I had to choose a game right now, I have to admit Texas would be tempting. Austin is a great city. The opposite of Baton Rouge.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some of these places are better game day environments but the surrounding area sucks (Baton Rouge, Gainesville, Knoxville, Clemson, etc.)
Then you have Austin, LA, Athens and a few others where the surrounding area is better than the game day environment.
Depends how much you want to emphasize the game day experience at the stadium vice the surrounding area.

Reaction Score
Some of these places are better game day environments but the surrounding area sucks (Baton Rouge, Gainesville, Knoxville, Clemson, etc.)
Then you have Austin, LA, Athens and a few others where the surrounding area is better than the game day environment.
Depends how much you want to emphasize the game day experience at the stadium vice the surrounding area.
Agree with this. For example, I've been to a game at Northwestern (realize not same level of football games mentioned previously in thread). However, you have option of staying in Chicago and everything it offers (Cubs game etc). And if you choose to, wouldn't even need a car to get to Evanston on game day. It's a quick train ride.

Was at Notre Dame for USC game in 2003. Reggie Bush, Leinart & Co destroyed them. ND was fantastic with all the pageantry and tradition. But I found the overall environment outside of ND to be lacking.

Reaction Score
Columbus.

Reaction Score
ND: few people go to Irish games looking for anything beyond the collegial environment or away from the campus. There’s nothing to find in South Bend, but my 24ish South Bend-native dental hygienist transplant sure makes a dentist appointment attractive!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I've been to Clemson and Notre Dame, but amazed nobody has mentioned College Station, TX. A&M is a great great venue, and the gameday is unique, if not unmatched.

Reaction Score
I've been to Clemson and Notre Dame, but amazed nobody has mentioned College Station, TX. A&M is a great great venue, and the gameday is unique, if not unmatched.

I didn’t list it simply because I’ve never been, but it’s definitely on my list! I’ve only heard great things.

Care to expand on what made it so special for you?

DrG

Reaction Score
It's not P5 but I love Annapolis. Great food and bar scene, and the flyover as the Midshipman run onto the field is awesome!

Reaction Score
It's been mentioned...from having other stuff to do in the area, it's hard to argue against USC in Pasadena. BYU in Provo and CU-Boulder are both awesome locations with above average fanbases - but not quite big time like in the SEC/B1G.

Reaction Score
If you’re going this year (and you have the funds) go to Athens for UGA/Notre Dame

The cheapest seats available (vivid seats) are going for $484 each. Seats on the 40 yard line are going for over $1,100 each. You and three friends can get good seats for less than $5,000. Such a deal.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Clemson has a great surrounding area. Resort area in the mountains. Not a city, but who needs a city when there is golf and lakes.

Reaction Score
Have some extra vacation days and looking to take in a big time CFB game. Was at the Carrier Dome last year for UConn-Cuse, and did an Army game at Michie, but other than that haven't really traveled for CFB. Ideally if I can get to a spot where it has more than just CFB and can do stuff in a city/region that'd be great!
Won't happen this year but hearing that the AD is working on a H&H with Hawaii. Maybe basketball too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom