Best CFB Road Trip | The Boneyard

Best CFB Road Trip

Reaction Score
Have some extra vacation days and looking to take in a big time CFB game. Was at the Carrier Dome last year for UConn-Cuse, and did an Army game at Michie, but other than that haven't really traveled for CFB. Ideally if I can get to a spot where it has more than just CFB and can do stuff in a city/region that'd be great!

Reaction Score
Have some extra vacation days and looking to take in a big time CFB game. Was at the Carrier Dome last year for UConn-Cuse, and did an Army game at Michie, but other than that haven't really traveled for CFB. Ideally if I can get to a spot where it has more than just CFB and can do stuff in a city/region that'd be great!

Army Navy game is a great take. Did it with my son a few years back. Arrive early to catch all the pageantry!

Reaction Score

Athens, GA

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I highly recommend an SEC game. I saw Athens mentioned, that’s a good call. I have been to a few games in Gainesville. Catch a good rivalry game like LSU or Tennessee, and the atmosphere is amazing. Tailgating starts at 9am for night games. Gainesville can be incredibly warm, so pick your dates and times carefully.

Reaction Score
No particular order.

1) Alabama vs UT third Saturday in October.

2) SC vs UGA

3) Alabama vs Auburn

Reaction Score
No particular order.

1) Alabama vs UT third Saturday in October.

2) SC vs UGA

3) Alabama vs Auburn

If you’re going this year (and you have the funds) go to Athens for UGA/Notre Dame

Reaction Score
Rose Bowl

Santa Ana winds blowing & it’s near 95 degrees. Dry. It’s late November

USC is at UCLA. 101,000. You tailgate on the public golf course. Beer sold inside. Half the GMSA is for Blue&Gold + half Trojan crap colors. And they’ve argued all week at the water cooler.

Game and atmosphere is intense.

After game ... Old Town Pasadena is a sweet visit.

It’s a full day - leave your house at 9am. You won’t be home until near midnight.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
LSU vs Alabama at Death Valley. LSU fans begin showing up to tailgate on Wed for a Sat night game. Best tailgating food in the world. Mike the Tiger. You're also just a little over an hour from N'awlins.

Reaction Score
Saw LSU Florida in 2003. 92,000. Tiger in a cage on sidelines. No alcohol in stadium!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think New Mexico plays New Mexico State on 9/21 in Albuquerque. Sounds incredible to me. :eek:

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Saturday night game in Blacksburg, VA.
FL/GA in Jacksonville.
The Game.
Red River Shootout with the Texas State Fair
UCLA/USC
Ole Miss home game

Reaction Score
Go to any of the places mentioned, but Gainesville might be last on my list.

It is not the true “SEC Experience” in the way that you probably imagine. Most of the kids parents came from New Jersey and they all think football was invented in 1990. The students wear t-shirts to games. Bless their hearts.

Full disclosure: as some on here know, I’m a Georgia football season ticket holder (though not this year due to some ill-timed Yankee weddings). My wife went to Georgia and my mom went to FSU so I am not unbiased when it comes to Florida.

However, Athens really is the place to be for the SEC experience. Beautiful campus, great small city with an excellent music and food scene.

The SEC game day environment that most think of can really only be found at Georgia, Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss and maybe Mississippi State but I, like most people, have never been there. The Clemson experience is probably more SEC than Florida, to be honest.

LSU is great great great, thats an excellent decision if that’s where you decide to go, but it’s not the same sort of Southern fried football; it’s...French?

Anyway, in the words of Lewis Grizzard, going to Athens is a religious experience.

Reaction Score
Do a guys trip every year to a random game - my top 10 and bot 3 places

Bama
Clemson
LSU
Colorado
Florida
Auburn
UGa
Washington
Penn St
UNC

Avoid
WVU
TN
Maryland

Reaction Score
Do a guys trip every year to a random game - my top 10 and bot 3 places

Bama
Clemson
LSU
Colorado
Florida
Auburn
UGa
Washington
Penn St
UNC

Avoid
WVU
TN
Maryland

Interesting. All of this makes sense except for Florida (see my previous post ;) ) but, what did you like so much about UNC?

Reaction Score
Son is at UM so I'm biased, but highly recommend Ann Arbor. They have Army and Notre Dame visiting this season. Obviously, you can tailgate if you choose too but you also have option of pre-gaming at establishments in downtown Ann Arbor and walking to the Big House (20 minute walk).

Reaction Score
Thanks so much everyone! @Guapo doing a good job selling me on UGA. Plus I can check out the new Braves ball park as well if I go the weekend of Notre Dame game... very tempting right now.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This upcoming season:

Ohio State @ Nebraska
LSU @ Texas
LSU @ Alabama
Ohio State @ Michigan
Notre Dame @ Georgia

Reaction Score
This upcoming season:

Ohio State @ Nebraska
LSU @ Texas
LSU @ Alabama
Ohio State @ Michigan
Notre Dame @ Georgia

Wow I had no idea LSU was @ Texas this season. That’s fun.

Reaction Score
I endorse Austin & UT as well. Saw night game vs. Cal (Jared Goff) in 2015 there. Very fun city and environment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wow I had no idea LSU was @ Texas this season. That’s fun.

Hmm...need to check the date on that. If I am down there for work I might try to get in. At minimum watch at a local bar. Will root for the wrong team of course.

September 7. That may just be possible.

Reaction Score
This upcoming season:

Ohio State @ Nebraska
LSU @ Texas
LSU @ Alabama
Ohio State @ Michigan
Notre Dame @ Georgia

Underrated interesting game this year (from a Georgia fan perspective): Texas A&M @ Georgia

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom