best case scenario: conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

best case scenario: conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
People who say this demonstrate an utter lack of understanding of the B1G expansion.

RU never claimed they were NY's team. B1G never envisioned them as being NY's team. B1G never even cared about RU athletics, besides the fact that they exist as a stage to put B1G powers on the tens of millions of TV screens in Philly, NJ, and NY (also, AAU helps the fit look better). If they cared about quality athletics, UConn would have been taken.

Same exact thing for Maryland and DC
No they jumped at Rutgers and fell for their smoke and mirrors football program. They are trying to expand in not only football into the North East. If all the black eye Rutgers stuff was out before the deal was done, it wouldn't have been Rutgers to the B1G and it very well could have been us to get the invite but this conference realignment punishes us at every turn, how Emmert-esque

Reaction Score
No they jumped at Rutgers and fell for their smoke and mirrors football program. They are trying to expand in not only football into the North East. If all the black eye Rutgers stuff was out before the deal was done, it wouldn't have been Rutgers to the B1G and it very well could have been us to get the invite but this conference realignment punishes us at every turn, how Emmert-esque
There were no smoke and mirrors about RU football, or Maryland football. Neither were ever even deceptively good.

Your claim that they're trying to expand not only football diminishes you point further, because RU basketball is laughably worse than football; and in MD's case, it's marginally better, but they have yet to crack the top 20 since they won the championship (and only entered the rankings during 5 or so of the 12 years since), and have not made it to the Sweet 16 since 2003. Hell, it's been 4 years since they've even made it in to the tournament.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Chaos! The pro expansion leader Oklahoma fights with the anti-expansion leader, Texas, blowing up the XII. The B1G expands to 20 by grabbing Missouri (WV to ACC, Louisville to SEC with Baylor) in for , Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, UConn, and ND (get East Coast & Texas exposure). UConn ends-up in a 5 team pod int he B1G consisting of 1) UConn, 2) Rutgers, 3) Maryland, 4) Penn St, 5) ND.

This happens right after I wake-up in bed with Scarlett Johansson...
:):)
You won't be nearly as disappointed when this doesn't happen as Scarlett Johansson would be waking up next to you.:)
I've been sending e-mails, phone messages, texts, and many other modalities to Scarlett and what do I have to show for it. Nothing! Well actually I didn't do any of these things. But the people in this thread who believe that petitioning for an opening in any conference is the means to getting in should make the attempt to see if they could get results by employing these methods with Johansson. Of course they know the only answer they would receive would be a restraining order.

The sexy partner makes the decision both in getting dates and getting to conferences. Annoying snits get snubbed immediately so Warde and Herbst have to be discreet in their approach.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
There were no smoke and mirrors about RU football, or Maryland football. Neither were ever even deceptively good.

Your claim that they're trying to expand not only football diminishes you point further, because RU basketball is laughably worse than football; and in MD's case, it's marginally better, but they have yet to crack the top 20 since they won the championship (and only entered the rankings during 5 or so of the 12 years since), and have not made it to the Sweet 16 since 2003. Hell, it's been 4 years since they've even made it in to the tournament.
Ugghhh - Maryland has Under Armour and while they currently suck, they land big time recruits due to their UA affiliation and will continue to grow with the UA backing. The B1G saw this and envisioned UMD as a real player across all sports thanks to UA and they valued added them with the hopes of their addition paying off big time down the line.

No one cares about basketball in realignment, this much you should know by now as a UConn fan, so there goes your UMD point

My Rutgers rant was half kidding but I'm happy I could set a fire under someone

Reaction Score
Ugghhh - Maryland has Under Armour and while they currently suck, they land big time recruits due to their UA affiliation and will continue to grow with the UA backing. The B1G saw this and envisioned UMD as a real player across all sports thanks to UA and they valued added them with the hopes of their addition paying off big time down the line.
You know all this how, exactly? I no longer do, but used to frequent the CR board a lot until roughly July this year, and I don't remember any indication ever being given that MD was mainly invited because of its UA affiliation.
No one cares about basketball in realignment, this much you should know by now as a UConn fan, so there goes your UMD point
You're the one who said B1G cares about more than just football.

Reaction Score
Chaos! The pro expansion leader Oklahoma fights with the anti-expansion leader, Texas, blowing up the XII. The B1G expands to 20 by grabbing Missouri (WV to ACC, Louisville to SEC with Baylor) in for , Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, UConn, and ND (get East Coast & Texas exposure). UConn ends-up in a 5 team pod int he B1G consisting of 1) UConn, 2) Rutgers, 3) Maryland, 4) Penn St, 5) ND.

This happens right after I wake-up in bed with Scarlett Johansson...

And Penelope Cruz ....

ewwww ... that was Javier Bardem in that Woody Allen movie. That is one tasty sandwich.

Reaction Score
I would love to live in the hallucinogenic world of those that think we can even play "best case" scenario.

Reality is our best case scenario is whoever gives into our cries of "Please. Help. Anyone. We'll do anything. Show us Mercy".

Reaction Score
Big10 schools ask to join the AAC......well so we won't have to pay the exit fee.....hey! Every bit of savings counts!

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
You know all this how, exactly? I no longer do, but used to frequent the CR board a lot until roughly July this year, and I don't remember any indication ever being given that MD was mainly invited because of its UA affiliation.

I dunno why so contentious, I wasn't looking for a debate and won't give you one. For your information some of my best of friends are very well connected in UMD and they know for a fact that their UA affiliation ran supreme in them being invited to the B1G, as if that is so outrageous that you are contesting that, it's rather plain as day.

Why did UMD make the cut for Diamond Stone? UA affiliation. Why did they land the best WR recruit a couple years ago in Stefan Diggs? UA affiliation. They have grand plans to become as close to Oregon as they can and they very well may get there eventually and that is part of their pitch to recruits as well as what they sold to the B1G

Reaction Score
How bout the Pac 12? Its not like geography matters anymore. Maybe the Pac wants to develop Northeast/NYC interest haha

Reaction Score
How bout the Pac 12? Its not like geography matters anymore. Maybe the Pac wants to develop Northeast/NYC interest haha
They'd take Boise State and BYU (along with a few others probably) LONG before even looking at UConn

Reaction Score
They'd take Boise State and BYU (along with a few others probably) LONG before even looking at UConn

Pssssshhhh screw them

but in all seriousness I think we belong in the ACC. Academically we would be right in the middle of the pack (maybe slightly below the average) and athletics wise, we'd fit right in. And it would be great to be reunited with Cuse, Pitt, Louisville, and even BC in all sports, not just basketball.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
This is a trick thread topic. There is no best case scenario that is on any short term ( and most likely long term ) horizon.

Its long past time we embrace the horror.

Personally I am rooting for UConn for the next 2-3 years while we are still viable and then rooting for a paradigm shift In societies view on College sports to the point that it is against the law for universities to have sports teams. Put it in the record books that we were best modern era team and then close the books. Let's just finish this already.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
hasnt fsu and clemson been trying to get out of the acc for awhile?

Reaction Score
hasn'FSU and Clemson been trying to get out of the ACC for awhile?

I believe both supposedly want to get into the SEC; but, are likely blocked by their established in-state rivals that are already in the SEC - U Florida and U S Carolina respectively. That said, I have my doubts as it would be more difficult for them to get into the playoffs playing a full SEC schedule (of the 10 ACC Championship games to date, they have won 7 (5x FSU, 2x Clemson). I suspect the two schools' 'interest' in the XII was a smokescreen aimed at better leverage within the ACC, such as adding so called football minded Louisville over UConn.

Reaction Score
Didn't the ACC exit fee get jacked way up, too? I want to say something like $50 million...not impossible for successful football schools like them, but a big chunk of change for any public institution

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Best case scenario for UConn. Let's not be too stupid here. Ivy League.

Reaction Score
Best-case scenario, right now, would be for the Big 12 to add four teams: UConn, Memphis, Cincy, and UCF. Big 12 goes to two divisions, with the eastern division being those four plus Kansas, Iowa State, and West Virginia, and the western division being UT, TT, TCU, Baylor, UOklahoma, OK State, and K State. Big 12 gets their east coast penetration, including a share of the NYC market, they get florida, and we get a winnable-ish football division and a really nice basketball league. It's a lot of travel, but frankly, I don't really care. That league means long-term survival, while this one means we're boned.

Reaction Score
So what gives? All this talk, and I get all of the main points, negative or positive. But seriously though, you would think we would be able to get into a decent conference. We win championships, isn't that enough? Don't we have someone important and savvy enough to approach these conferences and say here is what we bring to the table, we are interested in your conference and have the conference actually listen? Are we just straight blackballed? I am not buying the football thing since some of those other schools suck at football AND BASKETBALL, they obviously don't care if you suck that bad. Plus it would BOOST our program. It just seems like somewhere along the line we burned one too many bridges. Of all the schools looking to move around we SURELY bring the biggest upside to any of the other ones out there right now....

Reaction Score
This is a trick thread topic. There is no best case scenario that is on any short term ( and most likely long term ) horizon.

Its long past time we embrace the horror.

Personally I am rooting for UConn for the next 2-3 years while we are still viable and then rooting for a paradigm shift In societies view on College sports to the point that it is against the law for universities to have sports teams. Put it in the record books that we were best modern era team and then close the books. Let's just finish this already.

Haha good point. At this rate, I'm hoping that kids across America stop playing football b/c of concussions and all of college football falls apart, thus leading to basketball being the primary money-maker in college athletics. Once that happen, we can pick whatever conference we want! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom