Best Breweries in CT | The Boneyard

Best Breweries in CT

Reaction Score
Alright Yarders. We have threads regarding various kinds of restaurants and beer but how about a 2020 thread discussing your favorite breweries in CT? Lots of great places across the state.

My favorites:

-Stony Creek in Branford
-Dockside in Milford
-Urban Lodge in Manchester

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
You're a big Andy Schwartz fan?

My top 5, counting facilities (a place to hang) AND the quality of suds:

1. Fox Farm Brewery in Salem
2. Counterweight Brewing in Hamden...eventually Cheshire. (Tight quarters when crowded)
3. Fat Orange Cat in Belltown, USA.
4. Hog River Brewing in Hartford
5. East Rock Brewing in New Haven

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tribus in Milford. Fun spot and the beers are excellent.
Back East Brewing. Haven't been but a friend brought me some cans. Solid.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Can we maybe expand this to best really small breweries in New England? Not the big players. I think that could be more interesting

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Since this thread is dead as a doornail, I'm going to expand it by decree to small breweries across the region.

1. Long Live Beerworks in Providence. Great beer and a fun visit. It is a bit loud indoors.
2. Tribus in Milford, CT. Went when doing college visits last fall, lots of fun, all the beers were good. Pretty lively scene in normal times.
3. Red Clover Ale in Brandon, VT. Just went two weeks ago, can only pick up growlers and cans. Tiny place but the beer is superb. Foley Brothers is also in Brandon, a few minutes away.
4. Foam in Burlington, VT. This is already on a lot of people's lists but is another brewery doing great stuff in a fun setting.
5. Upper Pass, S. Royalton, VT. Have never visited, but they make some great beers. Cloud Drop their DIPA is world class. S. Royalton is a tiny town, but is also known for Worthy Burger, which has terrific wood fired burgers and a great tap list, including Hill Farmstead.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Since this thread is dead as a doornail, I'm going to expand it by decree to small breweries across the region.

1. Long Live Beerworks in Providence. Great beer and a fun visit. It is a bit loud indoors.
2. Tribus in Milford, CT. Went when doing college visits last fall, lots of fun, all the beers were good. Pretty lively scene in normal times.
3. Red Clover Ale in Brandon, VT. Just went two weeks ago, can only pick up growlers and cans. Tiny place but the beer is superb. Foley Brothers is also in Brandon, a few minutes away.
4. Foam in Burlington, VT. This is already on a lot of people's lists but is another brewery doing great stuff in a fun setting.
5. Upper Pass, S. Royalton, VT. Have never visited, but they make some great beers. Cloud Drop their DIPA is world class. S. Royalton is a tiny town, but is also known for Worthy Burger, which has terrific wood fired burgers and a great tap list, including Hill Farmstead.
This post is a violation of the OT. Must be CT.

Small breweries of a quality note:

30 Mile in Old Saybrook
Forest City and Stubborn Beauty in Middletown
Outer Light and Tox in Groton

Reaction Score
Relic in Plainville
Firefly Hollow in Bristol- love the Choconaut, brought a couple 4 packs back with me to Chicago.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Relic in Plainville
Firefly Hollow in Bristol- love the Choconaut, brought a couple 4 packs back with me to Chicago.
We were just at Firefly on Saturday. First time there and I was very happy to see fresh Local Bud, a NEIPA with CT ingredients.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We were just at Firefly on Saturday. Firs time there and I was very happy to see fresh Local Bud, a NEIPA with CT ingredients.
That was the first local place I visited, glad it's still around.

Reaction Score
Norbrook Farm in Colebrook is on its way to becoming one of CT's best destination breweries/great-times meccas, IMHO. Their beer quality is good/very-good and getting better. Very diverse taplist at all times.

They have an absolutely amazing 18-hole disc golf course that weaves its way through the 450 acres of fields and woods behind the brewery. Plus, they've developed and opened >10 miles of professionally-built mountain biking trails for all ability levels that are amongst the best trails in the state.

They have a great outdoor patio with firepit and plenty of outdoor seating in COVID times.

Reaction Score
Norbrook Farm in Colebrook is on its way to becoming one of CT's best destination breweries/great-times meccas, IMHO. Their beer quality is good/very-good and getting better. Very diverse taplist at all times.

They have an absolutely amazing 18-hole disc golf course that weaves its way through the 450 acres of fields and woods behind the brewery. Plus, they've developed and opened >10 miles of professionally-built mountain biking trails for all ability levels that are amongst the best trails in the state.

They have a great outdoor patio with firepit and plenty of outdoor seating in COVID times.
Went there last summer, they weren't known for having excellent beers but it was a fun time. Gorgeous property and if the beer is improving it will definitely be a destination. I think they let anyone use the course and trails even when they aren't open which is awesome.

Clocktown Brewing in Thomaston and Bad Dog Brewing in Torrington are about to open up. Don't know how the beer will be but they look like beautiful buildings, really large spaces.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom