Best Bracket Scoring System? | The Boneyard

Best Bracket Scoring System?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone use a scoring system other than the standard espn system (1, 2, 4, 8, etc pts increasing per round).

I want to use something that values upset picks and doesn't reward those who pick all chalk. I've read a little about systems that incorporate the seed of the winner into the score (add the seed or multiply the seed), but I've never used that system before, so I would be interested to hear from someone that has.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
(seed plus a number) * (round plus a number) = points for a win.

Normally the number added to the seed is between 3-5 while the number added to the round is between 6-8.

Upsets will always have more value than chalk (but not to the point where one first round win would weigh more than tracking a team to the final four) and later round wins are worth more than earlier round wins (but not to where they make early wins worthless shy of keeping a team alive).

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yeah one year in college the dorm pool was one buy a guy who picked all chalk. He was also kind of a tool that everyone disliked, so after that we used a seed bonus. I've been in pools with multiplier seeds, that can get a bit wacky, like if one person gets lucky and gets a low seed in the elite 8 / final 4 that nobody else got it can have a disproportionate effect. Of course you could counteract this by weighing the later rounds less, but on the other hand maybe you want a bit of chaos and to reward risky picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom