Best Boston/Cambridge Bar to Watch UCONN Game | The Boneyard

Best Boston/Cambridge Bar to Watch UCONN Game

Reaction Score
I will be in Boston next Thursday through Sunday and am looking for a good place to watch the SMU game with my son. I looked for tickets, but the only areas where I could get two seats together was in the nosebleed sections so I decided to just go to a bar. My son is only 19, so any suggestions would need to keep in mind that I will have a minor with me. My preference would be a nice cigar bar to watch the game, but every place I have found requires that you be 21 to enter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reaction Score
If it's on any of the major networks or ESPN/2, any bar I've been to with more than 2 televisions will put it on at least one television, as long as whatever Sox/Pats/Bruins/Celtics game that is also happening gets to be played on other television(s). I will say that Battery Park in the financial/faneuil area has ESPNU and was always good to put a game on. Decent food and beer too.

Edit I checked and it's on ESPN2 so any bar should be fine.

As far as the cigar bar angle, I don't know of any besides Stanza dei Sigari in the heart of the North End. They do cigars, drinks, and hookah. It's in the basement of the actual cigar shop, an old speakeasy, with tons of history and cool stuff all over the place; actually a really cool father-son spot that is okay with 18-21 year olds (they only card if you ask for a drink after you've sat down). I took lots of dates there too when I lived in Boston, some of them were 20. Not a great television selection though IIRC (never went to watch a game and I haven't been there in a while)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most bars in Boston are also restaurants so your son would be able to get in. The game is on a Saturday at noon on CBS and this is UConn country (despite what the ACC would tell you!) so any place that has TVs would have it on.

The UConn Boston alumni chapter always watches games at The Greatest Bar, which is near the TD Garden. Probably a good bet to go there if you want to watch it with other UConn fans. Where are you staying and maybe I can give you a few recommendations near there?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The Greatest Bar is supposed to be the school sponsored official spot but it's a tourist trap and really doesn't give a shhh about the event as long as they are getting paid.

If you want to watch the game somewhere good go to Game On! in Fenway on Landsdowne. That will be your best bet, plus if you don't love it there's a dozen bars that show sports right next to it as back ups.

Reaction Score
I'd get tickets and make the drive down to Hartford if I were you. Supposed to be in the 40's next Saturday with a chance of rain so no snow to scare you wussy Texas driver! UConn hasn't sold out a game so far this year. Granted the SMU game will probably be the most attended but there are plenty of places to get good tickets. Come on, how many times do you get a chance to see a UConn game live?

StubHub: StubHub!

VividSeats: SMU Mustangs at UConn Huskies Tickets - 2/25/2017 12:00 PM | Vivid Seats

TicketNetwork: UConn Huskies vs. Southern Methodist (SMU) Mustangs Basketball Hartford Tickets - Saturday, February 25, 2017 at XL Center | TicketNetwork

Reaction Score
Since the game is on at noon and the Bruins and Celtics aren't playing you should be relatively OK at any sports bar/restaurant you go to. You'll likely have to ask specifically for a TV to have that game on. The only thing I'd look into is to make sure wherever you choose is not a big European soccer bar as well. The ones listed here I believe aren't so you should be OK, though Greatest Bar and Game On might still card at noon.

Reaction Score
The ones listed here I believe aren't so you should be OK, though Greatest Bar and Game On might still card at noon.
Card as in ask for an ID? Both places are restaurants also so anyone can go in there. I believe if you're under 21 you just can't sit at the bar.

The Greatest Bar is supposed to be the school sponsored official spot but it's a tourist trap and really doesn't give a shhh about the event as long as they are getting paid.

If you want to watch the game somewhere good go to Game On! in Fenway on Landsdowne. That will be your best bet, plus if you don't love it there's a dozen bars that show sports right next to it as back ups.
Game On! is a good suggestion. Greatest Bar is a "tourist trap" and Game On! isn't? Game On! is part of Fenway Park which makes it the definition of a tourist trap. I think Greatest Bar is like that when there's a sporting event at the Garden and the place is packed with a line to get in. But on 2/25 there's only Disney on Ice at the Garden so I think they'd be fine. I doubt you'll find any place to watch the game at noon on a Saturday that's packed.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Card as in ask for an ID? Both places are restaurants also so anyone can go in there. I believe if you're under 21 you just can't sit at the bar.

Game On! is a good suggestion. Greatest Bar is a "tourist trap" and Game On! isn't? Game On! is part of Fenway Park which makes it the definition of a tourist trap. I think Greatest Bar is like that when there's a sporting event at the Garden and the place is packed with a line to get in. But on 2/25 there's only Disney on Ice at the Garden so I think they'd be fine. I doubt you'll find any place to watch the game at noon on a Saturday that's packed.
You're right they are both by definition tourist traps but in my opinion Game On actually facilitates the act of watching a sporting event on the TVs and eating/drinking well. Greatest Bar is like 5 floors that are all too small individually with poor screens and service on every floor except the first one.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
We used to frequent Chuchill's Lounge in Faneuil Hall - was always a good spot for a cigar. There are lots of bars around Faneuil where you can watch the game and then head there afterward.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the replies. I actually fly out tomorrow and am planning to take my son and his girlfriend out for a nice dinner while I am in Boston. I've heard Legal Seafood is pretty good, but would love more options. I pretty much eat everything, so all suggestions are welcomed.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all the replies. I actually fly out tomorrow and am planning to take my son and his girlfriend out for a nice dinner while I am in Boston. I've heard Legal Seafood is pretty good, but would love more options. I pretty much eat everything, so all suggestions are welcomed.
Mamma Maria in the North End.

As for the game if you want a big sports bar just go down to Fenway, all the sports bars are basically the same and will have the Game. Tony C's is the one in which I would recommend down there. Do not go to Greatest Bar and avoid the North Station area in general. If you want something lower key Sevens in Beacon Hill will put the game on for you and has good food and good beer selection.

Reaction Score
Yeah any place in the North End not named Giacomo's is a very solid bet for a "nice" dinner. Lots of cool places in the South End as well. Bee Hive is a really cool jazzy kind of restaurant with good food starting at a fairly reasonable $20-25.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Not to say give the guy bad advice but looks to be an SMU fan, might not want to go to a designated UConn game watch.

Reaction Score
Not to say give the guy bad advice but looks to be an SMU fan, might not want to go to a designated UConn game watch.

I'm definitely an SMU fan. Between my wife and I, we have four degrees from the school and I played football there. But my son is in Boston and fingers crossed, we find out today if my daughter got into Wellesley. That being said, I've kinda adopted UCONN as my New England D1 school so I have no problem going to a bar ever I'm the only one rooting for my Mustangs.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I'm with Hooper, forget all this cigar bar in Boston noise and just go to the game. We know you were worried about the weather, but it will be fine.

uconnhuskies.com is showing plenty of good seats for 2 together still available in the upper end zone sections (not at all nosebleeds). 2nd row of 228 or 3rd row of 238 are more than decent places to sit. And if you can get to XL by 11 AM you are pretty much guaranteed to find 2 bar seats (first come, first serve) which are a fantastic place to watch the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom