Best Bolognese in CT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best Bolognese in CT

Reaction Score
My wife is the chef in our house.. Builds everything from the ground up in her meals... She is not Italian but has participated in cooking classes in Italy.. Sauces and gravys can really influence the dish .. Her opinion is that Marinara is the base gravy for Bolognese.. She uses the Sunday Gravy from Federal Hill as her base.. And adds other flavors/ingredients into the gravy depending on our guests (pre-COVID).. Provides more flexibility in the final sauce.. Wine selection also influences how to flavor the sauce.. My favorite food and love the country and its people..
Don't forget the Brunello

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't forget the Brunello
Unless it’s got a ton of years on it, I find Brunello not a great food wine for my tastes. I usually like the Rosso better, or the Sangiovese from Montepulciano or elsewhere in Tuscany. The Brunellos are often too big and inky, unless you‘re having osso buco or the like.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Montepulciano d'Abruzzo has replaced Sangio as my goes with just about everything wine.

Reaction Score
Unless it’s got a ton of years on it, I find Brunello not a great food wine for my tastes. I usually like the Rosso better, or the Sangiovese from Montepulciano or elsewhere in Tuscany. The Brunellos are often too big and inky, unless you‘re having osso buco or the like.
I love the pure sangiovese and agree it needs bottle time and it is expensive. It is of that particular place though, that I enjoy.

Reaction Score
The Papardelle Ragout (interesting that they call it that because it’s almost entirely meat based) at L’Orcio.
I'm confused by the OP. Are you looking for Sunday sauce or Bolognese? Or Ragu or just meat sauce in general? I would answer differently depending on which one you want, as they are each different.

Sticking with Bolognese, if you are making it yourself Marcella Hazan's recipe is classic and excellent:

If you are looking to get it from a restaurant or store, Pasta Cosi in Branford has a very good one. I prefer it with their excellent eggplant lasagna.

If you are looking for ragu, L'Orcio's Papardelle al Ragu is as good as it gets imo.

Portofino and Adriana's, both in New Haven, also have good ones; but I prefer other dishes at each (Portofino also does a very good Sunday sauce with braciole, but I like their Puttanesca best--with swordfish and Angel Hair pasta).

Pasta Vita with several locations throughout the state also sells a good meat sauce.

It’s funny, I consider L’Orcio’s Papardelle al Ragu as closer to Bolognese. The meat/tomato ratio is closer to that. Either way, it’s excellent.

I do have an excellent Bolognese recipe that I will scan for anyone who wants. Two things — it involves lots of wine and takes about 5 hours to cook.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It’s funny, I consider L’Orcio’s Papardelle al Ragu as closer to Bolognese. The meat/tomato ratio is closer to that. Either way, it’s excellent.
Agree with you on the ratio; he cooks that sucker all day and then some. It is in no way a "tomato sauce." But I don't detect any nutmeg, definitely no cream, and I don't *think* he uses carrots but I will definitely inspect closer next visit.

I forgot to add that he also makes an insanely good duck ragu.

And his homemade papardelle is probably as much of a key to the dish as anything.

Reaction Score
Interesting, like you say, given the lack of fat in venison and filet mignon.

I feel like my Sunday sauce might be the best thing I make. I was fortunate enough to get a lesson from my best friend's dad before he passed away. In his honor, I'll share it here.

Meatballs - 2 slices of white bread in the bowl, enough milk to make it soggy. Add the 1 lb ground pork, 1 lb ground beef to the bowl, then sauté 5-6 cloves of chopped garlic and 1/2 a finely chopped onion (you could even grate it). Eyeball a couple teaspoons of dried oregano. S/P to your liking. Cook at 375 for 20 minutes, flip the meatballs over so one side doesn't burn and cook another 15 minutes.

In a large pot, put in some olive oil. Brown 6-8 hot Italian sausage links on all sides. Remove when done and place to the side. Then brown a half rack of spare ribs. Should be 8-10 spare ribs. Remove those to the side. In the rendered fat, sauté a medium to large yellow onion and as much garlic as you can handle. I usually go with 12-13 cloves or so. Deglaze the deliciousness on the bottom of that pan with 1-2 cups of deep red wine like a cabernet. Scrape up every bit. That is the heart of this sauce. Add in 3 large cans of crushed tomatoes, good San Marzanos...or better yet your canned tomatoes from the summer. 1 can of water. Fresh basil, dried oregano, S/P and some crushed red pepper. I have oregano and crushed red pepper from my garden every year.

Add back in the ribs and sausage, then the meatballs (including their drippings). Then let that pot go all friggin' day on low. I usually have it at this point by 9 am the latest. Stir frequently. You shouldn't have more than a few slow bubbles at any given time. Around 3? I remove the meat and set it off to the side. I shred the rib meat and add that back in.

Around 5 or 6 pm? You'll see what I call "the shimmer". It's a velvety hue to the sauce and it's magical. It ain't done til you see that shimmer and you'll know it when you see it. And no specific measurements because it's not supposed to be perfect the first time. It takes time to get the feel to it to where you know exactly what you're doing. My mother used to ask me to make her a batch of her own for her birthday and she'd just sit there with bread mopping it up, no pasta most times.

RIP Mr. D.

Pretty close to my Grandfather’s recipe. Three major differences. My GF insisted that there is no oregano in Sunday sauce (where as Bolognese has plenty of it). Second, deglaze with a mix of tomato paste and garlic with the wine. And third, add a lamb shank or two (same browning process as you describe, but splash a bit of red wine vinegar on the lamb let it sit and brown that last).

Reaction Score

It goes great with our Christmas Eve dinner, given the saltiness of the baccala . . .

Reaction Score
My ex lived in fall river for 2 years. We hit Providence hard. I had many great federal hill meals...
I was give another a different place

My wife is from Fall River (actually Somerset, but the rest of her giant family is in FR), and she spent six years at Brown. I actually found many of the Federal Hill restaurants to be underwhelming, and think that, at least now, the Italian places in New Haven are better overall.

Reaction Score
Back to OP ? - Adriana’s on Grand Avenue in New Haven has a great Tagliatelle alla Bolognese. At times I’ve even swapped out gnocchi for the tagliatelle for a change of pace.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Back to OP ? - Adriana’s on Grand Avenue in New Haven has a great Tagliatelle alla Bolognese. At times I’ve even swapped out gnocchi for the tagliatelle for a change of pace.
Try as I might, I can't resist getting the John Dory there. Every. Single. Time.

Reaction Score
Old Saybrook has a couple of places in Pasta Vita to buy the sauce. Grano Arso is good for the Bolognese.
I live in SE CT and have an access account to Munroe Dairy out of East Providence. They deliver among other things Venda Ravioli products from Federal Hill. Casa Della Luce and Joyce's Everyday Gourmet in Westerly. Edit; Luce and Joyce's great for full and half pans of their entrees.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Old Saybrook has a couple of places in Pasta Vita to buy the sauce.
We probably spend more money at Pasta Vita than anywhere other than Stop & Shop. Half of our freezer space is always occupied by our Pasta Vita stash. We've also brought bags filled with their food to my parents and aunt and uncle during the pandemic and left it on their porches and everything always gets rave reviews from everyone. We've actually decided that's what we're doing for both of them for Christmas this year.

Their chicken-artichoke lasagna is one of my favorite dishes from anywhere.

Reaction Score
Pretty close to my Grandfather’s recipe. Three major differences. My GF insisted that there is no oregano in Sunday sauce (where as Bolognese has plenty of it). Second, deglaze with a mix of tomato paste and garlic with the wine. And third, add a lamb shank or two (same browning process as you describe, but splash a bit of red wine vinegar on the lamb let it sit and brown that last).

I will definitely try a lamb shank in there with the red wine vinegar. Thanks for the tip.

Reaction Score
As has been said bolognese and Sunday sauce are 2 completely different things.

Rosso vino in branford has a great simple Sunday sauce.

Pasta cosi for bolognese

Reaction Score
Try as I might, I can't resist getting the John Dory there. Every. Single. Time.
Their "John dory" is awesome along with the wheel.

Funny story the owner of Pasta Cosi gets irate that Adriana calls it John Dory cause he said it's not actually John Dory as he knows their food supplier. Said 90% of restaurants that say it's John Dory aren't actually serving legit John Dory

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm getting a kick from the folks bragging on their sauce/gravy. I know a handful of folks that make sauce and they all think they nail it, too. I'm sure it's all fine.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
That is the joy about cooking, everybody's tastes are different and that is fine. You see this particularly in italian food where it is all about the ingredients. Most recipes require simple steps and fresh ingredients, so final products vary greatly.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm getting a kick from the folks bragging on their sauce/gravy. I know a handful of folks that make sauce and they all think they nail it, too. I'm sure it's all fine.
The sauces I have made using solely my own tomatoes that I grew in my own garden, along with my own basil, oregano, parsley and peppers have been the most satisfying I’ve ever made precisely because of what went into them.

What a royal pita though.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Their "John dory" is awesome along with the wheel.

Funny story the owner of Pasta Cosi gets irate that Adriana calls it John Dory cause he said it's not actually John Dory as he knows their food supplier. Said 90% of restaurants that say it's John Dory aren't actually serving legit John Dory

I'm willing to bet that he is correct - John Dory, from what I understand doesn't travel well and is expensive to carry in the Americas - not saying it isn't here but as wonderful as Adriana's is, I'm skeptical. Never had it there but places in Boston claim to serve it yet it's really another white fish with sameness in texture and taste. A close friend of my cousin who works in the kitchen of a notable Southie Boston cafe said that 99% who claim to have it in Boston don't really have the real JD
LOVE Adriana's

Reaction Score
I’m half-Irish, half-Italian.

A drunk with an attitude problem.
I resemble that remark. My Mom would start her Sunday Sauce on Saturday afternoons with sausage and ground beef for Sunday dinner. By then the sauce was thick and almost brown. A favorite meal Saturday night was sauce on bread with a few pieces of sausage.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The sauces I have made using solely my own tomatoes that I grew in my own garden, along with my own basil, oregano, parsley and peppers have been the most satisfying I’ve ever made precisely because of what went into them.

What a royal pita though.

I got crap yield on San Marzanos after trying a couple of years. If I could grow the things I'd definitely be making home sauce. I've done some salsa crudas with my wife's tomatoes, which are grown in the only 100% sunny spot in the yard, but those aren't really "sauce" tomatoes.

Pisses me off as I spent an entire summer a few years back creating a raised bed with a french drain, mostly for drainage purposes are our yard was getting flooded regularly. It helped the drainage, but even with dumping a few yards of dirt on it, the clay soil underneath just sucks for growing anything. It's now basically just pots with some herbs and peppers.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I got crap yield on San Marzanos after trying a couple of years. If I could grow the things I'd definitely be making home sauce. I've done some salsa crudas with my wife's tomatoes, which are grown in the only 100% sunny spot in the yard, but those aren't really "sauce" tomatoes.

Pisses me off as I spent an entire summer a few years back creating a raised bed with a french drain, mostly for drainage purposes are our yard was getting flooded regularly. It helped the drainage, but even with dumping a few yards of dirt on it, the clay soil underneath just sucks for growing anything. It's now basically just pots with some herbs and peppers.
I had a 20x20 plot in a community garden in town for a few years. I don’t get enough sunlight to grow at home.

More than half my plot was San Marzanos and Romas. The Romas usually fared better in terms of yield. Heirlooms were the toughest.

Basil and all sorts of peppers thrived.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom