Best Bolognese in CT | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Best Bolognese in CT

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I had a 20x20 plot in a community garden in town for a few years. I don’t get enough sunlight to grow at home.

More than half my plot was San Marzanos and Romas. The Romas usually fared better in terms of yield. Heirlooms were the toughest.

Basil and all sorts of peppers thrived.
Our community plots have been sold out for years. But I learned our neighbor across the street has one, so maybe this year I'll convince him to let me sublet a few square feet for some tomato plants.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I get up at 6am and get started. All prepped and in the pot by 7am. Served around 2 pm. I love those Sundays. Thanks for the thread, I think I'll make it next Sunday.

Reaction Score
Our community plots have been sold out for years. But I learned our neighbor across the street has one, so maybe this year I'll convince him to let me sublet a few square feet for some tomato plants.

Sometimes, if you pay for part of the plot and they maintain it, you buy the plants and they'll give you the produce.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sometimes, if you pay for part of the plot and they maintain it, you buy the plants and they'll give you the produce.
I would pay for the plot and buy all the plants for that deal in a heartbeat. Maintaining it was a chore. A very rewarding chore in many ways and I don’t regret any of the five or so years that I did it, but it was like having another kid at times In terms of the commitment. I could prepare for and prevent the weeding, but the watering in peak season was tough.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Viron Rondo Osteria in Cheshire has an excellent bolognese sauce

Reaction Score
I would pay for the plot and buy all the plants for that deal in a heartbeat. Maintaining it was a chore. A very rewarding chore in many ways and I don’t regret any of the five or so years that I did it, but it was like having another kid at times In terms of the commitment. I could prepare for and prevent the weeding, but the watering in peak season was tough.

I got a timer and soaker hoses. The hoses ran along the base of the plants and seeped into the ground. The timer would turn on at 6:00 and off at 6:15. Worked great unless someone turned the faucet off on me. The weeding was too much for me to take. It was beyond ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Someone help me out. Been a year since my grandma passed and I'm missing her Sunday Gravy. Admittedly, hers was not very good.

So, I am desperate for a really good bolognese and have a lot of free time. I want the best one CT has to offer.

Any advice?
Trattorina Toscana in Manchester - OUTSTANDTANDING!!

Reaction Score
Most recipes require simple steps and fresh ingredients
That is the thing, most restaurants in CT don't use fresh ingredients (too often out of season too) and don't make their food to order (always better when they start to prepare dishes only after the customer orders.)

Use fresh, IN-SEASON ingredients and you are already more than halfway there to having a great sauce, or any recipe for that matter, at home. The rest is just practice and fine-tuning and your outcome will, in not much time, be better than most places you go to eat out.

Threads like this are really reserved for the real upper echelon of restaurants, all of which have fresh, in season, made to order dishes, the top 1, maybe 2%.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I got a timer and soaker hoses. The hoses ran along the base of the plants and seeped into the ground. The timer would turn on at 6:00 and off at 6:15. Worked great unless someone turned the faucet off on me. The weeding was too much for me to take. It was beyond ridiculous.
I used a weed barrier and covered it with mulch. A lot of work at the front end but definitely kept the weeding way down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom