OT: - Best BLT Sandwich In CT? | The Boneyard

OT: Best BLT Sandwich In CT?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Every Thanksgiving weekend our family always wakes up on Black Friday and has BLTs. It got me thinking- where do you go in CT that has a killer Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato Sandwich?

I’m asking for rec’s in CT- but the best one I have ever had was in Chapel Hill, NC at Merritts Grill:

1606186056197.jpeg

Reaction Score
I don't know. I think the best I've ever had is my own.

• Bacon. Thick, center cut and cooked to the right point of done/not burnt. Peppered, if you'd like.
  • Lettuce. For me? I need that clean, crisp crunch so I'm going iceberg.
  • Tomato. Tough time of year for that. I'd overpay for a good looking heirloom.
  • Look into homemade mayos or an aoili.
  • Bread. Other than the bacon, the bread is the deal maker/breaker. Choose wisely.

Reaction Score

• Bacon. Thick, center cut and cooked to the right point of done/not burnt. Peppered, if you'd like.
  • Bread. Other than the bacon, the bread is the deal maker/breaker. Choose wisely.

yeah seems like summertime is the right time for a good tomato. The frozen tomatoes you get at the store now have just 0 taste

Drew

Reaction Score

Bread is key for all sandwiches. I made tremendous grilled cheese the other day and got a fresh rosemary sourdough Pullman loaf to put it on. Was incredible. Bread always makes it (As well as a lot of either mayo or butter on your sandwich)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Properly buttered and toasted sourdough is my personal fav for BLT.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
BLT-plus -- the RichZ way.
Lightly toasted Rye -- With caraway seeds.
Mayo -- with just a touch of spicy brown mustard mixed in.
Lettuce -- iceberg. The thick, crunchy white part.
Tomato -- tough getting good tomatoes this time of year, but there's got to be a little of it, even if it's not a great tomato.
Bacon -- I like my bacon right on the edge of being burnt. If you think you've got too much bacon on the sandwich, add more. Lots more.
Pickle -- Deli style cucumber half dill. Sliced lengthwise.
Cheese -- Pepper Jack preferred, but Plain Monterey Jack will do.

All that being said, the best BLT I ever had in an eating establishment was in a nondescript general store in upstate new york, and it was chopped (not sliced) lettuce and tomato, broken up slices of crispy bacon and almost too much mayo, in a damned flour tortilla wrap. It was so good that on my way back home two days later, I went out of my way to stop there again and get a couple more.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Not in CT, but this place has the craxiest take on a BLT that I've ever had... linky

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The best BLTs are built on top of burgers imo. Otherwise there's not enough there there, unless accompanied by a hearty cup of soup.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The best BLTs are built on top of burgers imo. Otherwise there's not enough there there, unless accompanied by a hearty cup of soup.

As @RichZ pointed out, add more bacon.

Even with a thick cut bacon, there should be six slices minimum. Once you cook it and render it down you're down to about 40-45 calories per slice.

Reaction Score
It's really a tomato sandwich with some bit players along for the ride. Bacon plays a good part, but you can get by with almost any type of bacon cooked crispy. Toasted white bread, mayo, and iceberg complete the deal, but without a stings -if you have a cut lip, stellar tomato, juicy, and sliced thick, you got nothin.

Wait till next July and build your own.

Reaction Score
A little side-tracked but if you have kids Red Robin is the place to be. And if you get tired of the burgers, the BLTA Croissant
Sliced turkey breast, hardwood-smoked bacon, avocado, lettuce, tomatoes and mayo on a croissant.

Reaction Score
The bacon quality is make or break on these. I like applewood bacon but some of the store brands are lousy.

Drew

Reaction Score
Wound up making this and turned out pretty good. Double decker BLT:

1F4298B0-742E-4412-A573-A2ABDC81CAEF.jpeg

76DD4085-F086-43CA-9A1C-CE4B4812C676.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads