Best blocked shot in UConn history | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best blocked shot in UConn history

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Emeka Okafor's game saving block at the buzzer against Villanova in 2004. Randy Foye coming at him, Okafor stumbles, recovers and then blocks the shot at the buzzer. That was only his second block of the game. The first block was at the buzzer during regulation and sent the game to overtime.

Slips and still makes the incredible block to save the game. The announcers make it seem like he got away with a lot of body which wasn't really the case.

Reaction Score
I think Scottie Burrell blocked Shaq once in a tournament game that landed at midcourt.

Reaction Score
This one was my immediate choice. Was at this game Elite Eight game in Phoenix with my dad and Alabama fans around us were bizarrely cocky that Bama would beat us.

Remember turning and saying to them that it might be a good time to shut their mouths when Emeka is blocking one of their best player’s shots twice on the same play. The rest of the day was very enjoyable.

This was the game where Rashad went unconscious and blew on his fingers after hearing trash talk from the Bama fans

Reaction Score
In terms of sheer athleticism, I recall Stanley jumping over a player on the left baseline to block another player's shot. Not only did he not swat it out of bounds, but he grabbed like a rebound. I may be mixing up imagined and realty: I think it happened and it was awesome.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Hilton Armstrong had a block at home vs. Villanova in 2006 where he was literally laying on the ground, jumped up, and swatted the ball out. Crazy.

Reaction Score
It was flashy, but I remember Kevin Freeman closing out on one of Duke players in the championship game. I think it sent a message to Coach K and his team that even with the fast start, UConn rolls over for no one. He got it with his fingertips and I think it was symbolic of KF style of play. He didn't mind being the roll player that would claw, scrap and fight you to end for his team.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
One of my favorites was when Hasheem Thabeet blocked a shot as a freshman by just jumping up and catching it.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Mine is an Emeka block against Alabama in the 2004 Championship run. The Alabama player drove to the hoop, and as Emeka prepared to block with one hand, the Alabama player went to the other side of the basket, and Emeka blocked the shot with his other hand. I looked for a video clip, but didn't find one.

About 1:10 of this video?

Edit: I think others beat me to it!

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I was in Philly watching our guys versus Nova. Seconds to go, we are up one. Nova drives to the hoop and Emeka blocks it as time ran out. I was shaking the whole drive home. Only an hour and 15. Wasn't bad.

Reaction Score
As an aside when I was searching for my misremembered Arizona play, I watched some of our 2002 team vs Arizona with Oakafor as a freshman. 19 pts 14 rb and tv had him as having 12 blocks for a triple double just a few games into his career, but he officially was credited with only 9 blocks by the Arizona scoring table. Taliek Brown, Selvie, Caron, and Ben were the other key players vs Luke Walton et al 100-98. Good game to go back and watch. We were #25 and Arizona #10.
Wasn't it Neil Ostrout of the JI who said Brimah was the best freshman center ever at UConn? A statement like that makes me question his basketball IQ. Or maybe just his memory.

Reaction Score
Emeka Okafor's game saving block at the buzzer against Villanova in 2004. Randy Foye coming at him, Okafor stumbles, recovers and then blocks the shot at the buzzer. That was only his second block of the game. The first block was at the buzzer during regulation and sent the game to overtime.

Yes, yes, I remember that game. What a block by Okafor on the recovery. Could have called a foul but they didn't. Big East basketball at its best. In the AAC that would have been a foul, a flagrant 1 for some unknown reason and maybe even a technical for blocking the ball too hard. Yes, I still hate AAC refs even though UConn is out of there!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As an aside when I was searching for my misremembered Arizona play, I watched some of our 2002 team vs Arizona with Oakafor as a freshman. 19 pts 14 rb and tv had him as having 12 blocks for a triple double just a few games into his career, but he officially was credited with only 9 blocks by the Arizona scoring table. Taliek Brown, Selvie, Caron, and Ben were the other key players vs Luke Walton et al 100-98. Good game to go back and watch. We were #25 and Arizona #10.
I'd have remembered the play you called as Tony as Okafor blocking Loren Woods at the end to seal the game.

Reaction Score
Mine is an Emeka block against Alabama in the 2004 Championship run. The Alabama player drove to the hoop, and as Emeka prepared to block with one hand, the Alabama player went to the other side of the basket, and Emeka blocked the shot with his other hand. I looked for a video clip, but didn't find one.
Best block of all time 100%

Reaction Score
Two that I remember were both from Emeka...

The first was against Oklahoma when we beat them by 1000 at Gampel. Okla's big man was feeling a little froggy early on and he tried to dunk on 'Mek and it was just a thunderous block that led to a fast break and us going on a 200-0 run. We destroyed that Okla team who was in the top 5 if I remember right.

The other memorable ones were against Alabama in the Final Eight. For whatever reason, they decided to attack Emeka. They had one big dunk and maybe one or two successes, but EO blocked like 6 shots in a 10 minute span including the ridiculous opposite hand one mentioned above. Sick.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard is single handedly getting me through social distancing and quarantine. So many fond memories!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom