Best BBQ in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Best BBQ in CT

Reaction Score
QUE Whiskey Kitchen in Southington has good BBQ and a huge selection of whiskey…right down the street from Mission

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I appreciate the Rec. :)

next time you’re in state you have standing invite. Just have to give me 2 days notice and your main dish requests. ( I got ya on the sides)
I'm gonna have to try out those $39 fares on the new Breeze Air sometime later this year, ideally for a Sept/Oct home game.

I'll happily admit that while I'm a good cook, you pay far more attention to meats/smoking/grilling than I ever will, so I'll cede that territory.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Went to Hoodoo Brown and got a pulled pork sandwich and brisket. A+ stuff... as good as you'll find outside of the south IMO.

I've never made a brisket before--been a pork butt guy most of my life. Might need to try one out next weekend.
This place is about an hour from me, worth the trip?

Reaction Score
This place is about an hour from me, worth the trip?

If you're a big barbecue fan and want the experience, sure. Anything more than 30-45 minutes from me I'm not really going just because the food is good... It's more of a landmark if that makes sense. Yeah, it's tasty BBQ. Definitely the best I've had in CT, but it isn't changing my life.

I would drive hours to go to Lexington BBQ in NC or Snow's in Texas, for example. Those are BBQ pilgrimage kind of places.

Reaction Score
Best BBQ in the state? Mostly thinking brisket and pulled pork. I want to go out somewhere tomorrow to get sone inspiration to use my smoker.

Not a fan of eastern carolina pork. Western is A+ though.

Bears is overpriced. I like Pig Rig in Wallingford and Taino in Middletown.

Any recommendations?
It’s not in CT, but BT’s right over the border in Sturbridge is pretty good in my opinion. Plus Treehouse Brewing (they are the best) is 5 minutes down the road so you can make a nice afternoon of it.

Edit: Not necessarily what you’re into but the beef ribs are really worth trying.
This truck is at Treehouse now and then. Good Stuff.
1623680871893.png

Reaction Score
On the opposite side of the spectrum, ate at Bobby Q's in Norwalk with some friends recently. Bad, just bad.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Interesting.
Certainly with corned beef and pastrami, though maybe less so with a smoked brisket, I've always considered the fat a condiment

Reaction Score
Just got back from my house in Mt Pleasant, SC, where I had my brisket fix at Lewis Barbeque and pulled pork at Rodney Scotts. Lived in CT for over 30 years and I have almost given up trying to find good Q. BTs is about the only place I will go to in this area.
Have tried almost every BQ place in central CT and most were meh. Que Whisky in Southington had the worst brisket I have ever had the 3 times I was there. Gave them 3 chances and they struckout each time. Might as well have called it pot roast it was so dry. You need the great selection of whisky they have to wash it down. Mission bbq- meh, Smokin with Chris- meh. And don't get me started with Bears.
May have to make a trip to Hoodoo based on the comments above.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Chester's in Groton.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Interesting.
Certainly with corned beef and pastrami, though maybe less so with a smoked brisket, I've always considered the fat a condiment
If there isn’t fat on a brisket slice you got robbed.

now if it’s half fat, then yeah their trimming sucked. Complain . But a brisket slice served should have 1/8 to 1/4 inch fat at top of the slice. Don’t like fat ? Then cut it off . It should be served. no fat ? You have a problem.

August_West

Reaction Score
Just got back from my house in Mt Pleasant, SC, where I had my brisket fix at Lewis Barbeque and pulled pork at Rodney Scotts. Lived in CT for over 30 years and I have almost given up trying to find good Q. BTs is about the only place I will go to in this area.
Have tried almost every BQ place in central CT and most were meh. Que Whisky in Southington had the worst brisket I have ever had the 3 times I was there. Gave them 3 chances and they struckout each time. Might as well have called it pot roast it was so dry. You need the great selection of whisky they have to wash it down. Mission bbq- meh, Smokin with Chris- meh. And don't get me started with Bears.
May have to make a trip to Hoodoo based on the comments above.
I haven’t been to hoodoos but I can vouch for BT’s. They get it right.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Be careful. You can waste a lot of money . Brisket is a temperamental biotch. Pork butt way more forgiving. But if you are comfortable with long cook pork butt temps, you are on the way to a great brisket.

I've done three now. Haven't yet wasted my money, and I am getting better, but haven't really nailed one yet either. It's a commitment. If your pork butt isn't getting to temp, you can always throw it in a crock pot. No easy out with brisket. Do you use the Texas crutch?

August_West

Reaction Score
I've done three now. Haven't yet wasted my money, and I am getting better, but haven't really nailed one yet either. It's a commitment. If your pork butt isn't getting to temp, you can always throw it in a crock pot. No easy out with brisket. Do you use the Texas crutch?

Not on the smoker. I go naked and slooooow, whole way through. I like bark. Texas crutch mushes it. It makes for a longer cook time, obviously, but Texas crutch is just for people who don’t want to wait out “the stall” . I’m a patient guy. I allow enough time to naturally get through stall even if 20 hours I like it better than a 12 hour crutch. And honestly it’s easier! You have a thermoworks, hawk. Stick the probe in , let it get to 203 , no matter how long it takes, and then rest it for an hour or so, before slicing . Do that once so you get a base line and then screw with the crutch and all that stuff on your next if youre so inclined. ( you probably won’t be)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I cannot recommend Thomas' Smokey Pit in Manchester enough. New joint that just opened a year ago and oh my God it's out of this world. I've gone to all of the "famous" BBQ joints in Texas and I kid you not their brisket goes toe-to-toe with them. Great ribs as well. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't try it

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I cannot recommend Thomas' Smokey Pit in Manchester enough. New joint that just opened a year ago and oh my God it's out of this world. I've gone to all of the "famous" BBQ joints in Texas and I kid you not their brisket goes toe-to-toe with them. Great ribs as well. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't try it
This made me laugh this morning.

August_West

Reaction Score
Not on the smoker. I go naked and slooooow, whole way through. I like bark. Texas crutch mushes it. It makes for a longer cook time, obviously, but Texas crutch is just for people who don’t want to wait out “the stall” . I’m a patient guy. I allow enough time to naturally get through stall even if 20 hours I like it better than a 12 hour crutch. And honestly it’s easier! You have a thermoworks, hawk. Stick the probe in , let it get to 203 , no matter how long it takes, and then rest it for an hour or so, before slicing . Do that once so you get a base line and then screw with the crutch and all that stuff on your next if youre so inclined. ( you probably won’t be)
No Texas crutch all the way through stall. One hour rest

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
It’s not in CT, but BT’s right over the border in Sturbridge is pretty good in my opinion. Plus Treehouse Brewing (they are the best) is 5 minutes down the road so you can make a nice afternoon of it.

Edit: Not necessarily what you’re into but the beef ribs are really worth trying.
I stopped going to BTs. I found that if you get take out brisket, they find all the fat they can and put it in your order

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yeah, that is what I tried at first, because I too like bark. Used to love burnt ends at Gates BBQ when I was in KC. Ran out of time, because I'm not patient enough to stay up to 2-3 AM, pulled it off just before midnight. So last time I tried crutching in butcher paper (less soggy than foil I'm told) then putting it back on naked to finish. With a pork butt there's no harm really in cranking the temp a bit to push through the stall. But I don't do that with brisket. What time do you start it? I'm sure that's my problem. I need to consider starting at night before bed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom