Best BBQ in CT | The Boneyard

Best BBQ in CT

Reaction Score
Best BBQ in the state? Mostly thinking brisket and pulled pork. I want to go out somewhere tomorrow to get sone inspiration to use my smoker.

Not a fan of eastern carolina pork. Western is A+ though.

Bears is overpriced. I like Pig Rig in Wallingford and Taino in Middletown.

Any recommendations?

Reaction Score
Best BBQ in the state? Mostly thinking brisket and pulled pork. I want to go out somewhere tomorrow to get sone inspiration to use my smoker.

Any recommendations?
It’s not in CT, but BT’s right over the border in Sturbridge is pretty good in my opinion. Plus Treehouse Brewing (they are the best) is 5 minutes down the road so you can make a nice afternoon of it.

Edit: Not necessarily what you’re into but the beef ribs are really worth trying.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Any recommendations?
I live in NC so I don’t really have many recs these days (occasionally get some BBQ when I visit the fam tho) and BTs is really good, I’ve had that a few times. I haven’t had tons of BBQ lately in New England but that one stands out. Have had bears and I agree it’s a bit overrated; it’s good, but nothing to write home about.

100% agree with you, I don’t love the vinegar based BBQ, I like other sauces/styles better. Seems like people who grew up eating it like it more, maybe that’s why idk. But man do I love some BBQ…

Reaction Score
It’s not in CT, but BT’s right over the border in Sturbridge is pretty good in my opinion. Plus Treehouse Brewing (they are the best) is 5 minutes down the road so you can make a nice afternoon of it.

Edit: Not necessarily what you’re into but the beef ribs are really worth trying.
I had eaten at BT's a few years ago, and their ribs are great. Their catfish fillet is good too if they still serve it.

I think the owners are from the South so they know how to cook it.

Reaction Score
I live in NC so I don’t really have many recs these days (occasionally get some BBQ when I visit the fam tho) and BTs is really good, I’ve had that a few times. I haven’t had tons of BBQ lately in New England but that one stands out. Have had bears and I agree it’s a bit overrated; it’s good, but nothing to write home about.

100% agree with you, I don’t love the vinegar based BBQ, I like other sauces/styles better. Seems like people who grew up eating it like it more, maybe that’s why idk. But man do I love some BBQ…

Fiance grew up in the western part of the state in the mountains. I get bbq every day if we're visiting her family

Reaction Score

Actually have been there many times! My grandmother lives in the area

Curiouser
Reaction Score

It’s not a high bar, but I think BT’s is better than any BBQ I’ve had in CT.

Reaction Score
Fiance grew up in the western part of the state in the mountains. I get bbq every day if we're visiting her family
Yeah, lots of good BBQ out that way for sure. And beautiful scenery, arguably some of the best mountains anywhere along the east coast.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm gonna go with ADub's house. Fewer slobs pigging out.

As an aside, I pretty much rate BBQ places as "sucks" or "doesn't suck". I think if you put a bunch of "doesn't suck" briskets on a table, nobody would be able to tell the source. To me, it's the creativity of the sides that makes or breaks a visit.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I had eaten at BT's a few years ago, and their ribs are great. Their catfish fillet is good too if they still serve it.

I think the owners are from the South so they know how to cook it.

Good call-out with catfish fillets.

A well-cooked farm raised catfish is as legit BBQ choice as any beef or pork. Just watch it carefully because it goes from light and flaky to fish jerky in a minute.

Reaction Score
Hoodoo Brown and it’s not even close
+1. Never disappoints. Tons of other options for non-meat eaters as my wife loves their sides and their catfish is pretty darn good.

For those not too far from Ridgefield, I recommend starting your late afternoon at Hoodoo Brown before the crowds get packed and then have a nightcap at Nod Hill Brewery just up the street.

Reaction Score
Mission BBQ is my favorite. There is one on Queen St in Southington and they just built a new location on the Post Rd in Milford. The salmon is actually really good as well as the turkey. They have probably 8-10 different sauces to choose from and their sides are also very good.

Reaction Score
Hoodoo Brown clear winner for me. It’s a haul to get there from central and eastern CT

Reaction Score
Hoodoo Brown and it’s not even close
Funny story, my wife and I ordered separate plates the first time we went. She actually screamed when she saw the portion of serving, as she is petite. The waiter was cool, and took it back. It actually scared her.

Food is excellent!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Went to Hoodoo Brown and got a pulled pork sandwich and brisket. A+ stuff... as good as you'll find outside of the south IMO.

I've never made a brisket before--been a pork butt guy most of my life. Might need to try one out next weekend.
Be careful. You can waste a lot of money . Brisket is a temperamental biotch. Pork butt way more forgiving. But if you are comfortable with long cook pork butt temps, you are on the way to a great brisket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom