Best Bakery in Connecticut Ever | The Boneyard

Best Bakery in Connecticut Ever

Reaction Score
Hands Down, Mayron's Bakery. Had branches on Blue Hills and Albany Aves in Hartford. Famous nationally for baking President Kennedy's
Inaugural Celebration Cake. Made "Honey Dipped Donuts" that would melt in your mouth. The best I have ever tasted. Made incredible individual cakes
that they called "Squares". One was all chocolate and the other marble. Baked the best Danish Pastries and Pecan Buns. Their fresh baked rolls were perfect.
I have traveled the world far and wide (Active Duty Navy - 29 years) and have not seen or visited a better bakery. Sadly, they did not relocate to the
suburbs and went out of business.

Reaction Score
Hands Down, Mayron's Bakery. Had branches on Blue Hills and Albany Aves in Hartford. Famous nationally for baking President Kennedy's
Inaugural Celebration Cake. Made "Honey Dipped Donuts" that would melt in your mouth. The best I have ever tasted. Made incredible individual cakes
that they called "Squares". One was all chocolate and the other marble. Baked the best Danish Pastries and Pecan Buns. Their fresh baked rolls were perfect.
I have traveled the world far and wide (Active Duty Navy - 29 years) and have not seen or visited a better bakery. Sadly, they did not relocate to the
suburbs and went out of business.

Hard to argue there. Their pies were outstanding, cakes and cupcakes were awesome, and any kind of bread were terrific as well.

Also I would add Woodbridge baking on Franklin Ave, Michaels Bakery Main St East Hartford and Federal Bakery dowtown Hartford were all my go to places to satisfy my sweet tooth. You can bet if any were still around I'd be going there gameday period. Oh well.

Also bakeries open today Mozzicato Bakery in Middletown and Chimiris Pastry on the Silas Deane in Wethersfield are my go to places in the present.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sal's pastry (original, grandparents of current owners) in Stamford. In a very Italian city with quite a few quality Italian owned & run bakeries, this was where every Italian went (unless you were related to owners of a competitor, then you had to have someone else get Sals for you).

Reaction Score
Here is the standard. I want a bakery that makes a great large black and white cookie like in NY, soft on the inside with that perfect glazed frosting, fresh not 4 days old wrapped in cellophane. I also want an all white version of that cookie and I want a NY style rye bread with seeds for my deli sandwiches, not something that says rye but isn’t. I want a real NY or NJ bagel chewey (you need NY water) and large and don’t tell me Brueggers or Einstein. Until we have this we have no bakeries in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Sal's pastry (original, grandparents of current owners) in Stamford. In a very Italian city with quite a few quality Italian owned & run bakeries, this was where every Italian went (unless you were related to owners of a competitor, then you had to have someone else get Sals for you).
Unfortunately, it’s not the same Sal’s as it was 30 years ago. Its cannoli used to be as good as any you’d find in Little Italy or on Arthur Ave. It’s still solid, but behind both Beldotti and DiMare.

Reaction Score
Here is the standard. I want a bakery that makes a great large black and white cookie like in NY, soft on the inside with that perfect glazed frosting, fresh not 4 days old wrapped in cellophane. I also want an all white version of that cookie and I want a NY style rye bread with seeds for my deli sandwiches, not something that says rye but isn’t. I want a real NY or NJ bagel chewey (you need NY water) and large and don’t tell me Brueggers or Einstein. Until we have this we have no bakeries in Connecticut.
Take a drive down to Stamford, my friend. Beldotti Bakery is your answer. Might be the only stand-alone, full-service kosher bakery left in CT, with a full array of Italian and Jewish baked goods. Grab a poppy or sesame challah while you’re there.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
So I have this right: OP created a profile last year, and posted today for the first and only time to talk about a bakery that went out of business (perhaps during the Nixon administration)?

TF?
The Wire Wtf GIF

Reaction Score
Take a drive down to Stamford, my friend. Beldotti Bakery is your answer. Might be the only stand-alone, full-service kosher bakery left in CT, with a full array of Italian and Jewish baked goods. Grab a poppy or sesame challah while you’re there.
Thanks

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Forget the name in New Haven. I lived in Waterbury. Every holiday my mom sent me to New Haven to pick up pastries for Easter and other holidays They only made these pastries on holidays. This was back in the late 60's early 70's. Honestly worth the drive. The bakery wasn't in the center of New Haven. You went through to the city a short distance.

Also, Helen's in Waterbury was a good vibe.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it’s not the same Sal’s as it was 30 years ago. Its cannoli used to be as good as any you’d find in Little Italy or on Arthur Ave. It’s still solid, but behind both Beldotti and DiMare.
Agreed with everything here. And now I may just have to take a ride from the office on lunch today.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
came here to post this, haha.

i love fancy french stuff too, but i feel like the italian cookies at lucibellos are somewhere in my dna.
Was just their last week, their Sicilian Cannolis are as good as the best in Little Italy (and I used to live in Little Italy).

The Zeppole too....oof.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Kibbe,

You think Beldotti is better than De Mare?

There was (until about 35-40 years ago) a very good German bakery on Cove Road (Kralich's) but sadly they are also gone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom